No announcement yet.

Flooded Basement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

We also pump basements... some of our basement pump jobs are the FD version of EMS'
    "frequent fliers".

Cats in trees? Just once in my career... for someone "politically connected"...
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by timmct View Post
      Tree, I'd be interested to see a pic of your strainer. Sounds like a great idea.

Cat in tree story - veracity in question:

FD dispatched to cat in tree.

Fire company arrives on scene, officer speaks with distraught cat owner.

Meanwhile, member of crew retrieves old shot gun from compartment.

Officer motions to crew member, tells cat owner that "we'll have the cat down in no time."

Cat owner tells officer that cat will probably find its way out of tree on its own, but thanks for coming!
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Don't quote me on this, but I believe we don't. It seems around here, a flooded basement may be prone to collapse if you remove the water in the basement. Something about the pressure of the ground water outside the basement wall versus the pressure inside? Like I said, don't quote me on this. Where I'm from you can hit the water table with a fence post, so we didn't have basements.

Comment

Flooded basements do get runs . It's helping people. The basement is flooded. call the Fire Dept. It comes with a thank you and lots of times that thank you is in the form of a check.
          Cats in trees? Just hit the booster line about a foot away from there the cat is forcing it to go in the direction you want. You will be surprised at how much a cat will forget it's fear and climb down. Sometimes jump. He gets scared and runs. It's best not to chase them. Let them be. Sometimes the cat will run to where it feels safe and that is right inside the house.
          Ducks in storm drains, are another good community service call. People see you doing that and makes them want to help. Just never touch the ducks with your base hands. The oils will cause the mother to reject the duckling and it's certain death. Get a cardboard box (not a helmet) something that does not have human odors in in and using gloves, gather them into the box. Mama duck will be happy.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
          Working...
          X