Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HFDCasiano
    replied
    We all change at 0630. Most of us will start rolling the station around 0545 and 0600. 0630 tones go off and the chauffeurs and pipeman get out and do whats needs to be done. The truck gets after breakfast after they finish there truck check and the engine co starts cleaning around the station. Usually we can sit down and take up house watch around 0900.

Unless it is a monday, tuesday or friday we will sit around the kitchen and read new bulletins or study territory or watch the news . Mondays we clean the apparatus, polish the tools, clean out the cabinets, wash and sometimes wax, raise the cabs and clean off the dirt under and on the engine, clean ladders... on and on. Tuesdays are station day and we clean the heck out of the station. From vacuuming to mopping up the bird crap on the apparatus floor. Fridays are yard days and we start workin like a typical yard crew until we are done.

Austin changes at noon still I believe.

Leave a comment:

• dfwfirefighter
    replied
    Originally posted by boot86 View Post
    shift change for us is at 11:45 anywhere else similar to that?
    Several cities in the South used to change 24-hour shifts at 1500. New Orleans did this until the mid-70's or so and I believe Baton Rouge and Shreveport did too.

Now THAT messes up both days off.

Leave a comment:

• dfwfirefighter
    replied
    Everyone in my FD "officially" changes shifts at 0700. The fine print in our rules/regs state that you must be ready for duty at 0700. That means that you must be available for a response at 0700, i.e. PPE placed on-board the apparatus in your riding position and your assigned tools and equipment checked and ready to go to work.

Most folks in my FD arrive at work well before 0700. As a matter of fact, most folks are there between 0600-0630. Traditionally (I know alot of folks today could care less about tradition), one was looked upon as being late if he or she arrived after 0630. Before everyone asserts that one cannot be "late" if they arrive before their "official" relief time, remember that tradition has played a huge part in this. I arrive at the firehouse around 0615 and relieve the guy riding my spot, his relief does the same the next morning, and so on. Everyone is happy because they can get home before traffic gets bad and get the kids off to school.

Ironically, the folks that habitually arrive at 0659 are inevitably the folks pacing the floor the next morning at 0615 waiting to leave. When asked why they always show up at the last minute, their response will likely be "I get paid for 24 hours starting at 0700". My answer to that is "You are exactly right. From this day forward, especially in today's tight economy, everyone here will work their '24 hours' as noted on your timecard. That means if you show up at 0659, you cannot be relieved until 0659 tomorrow, regardless of whether your relief is here or not." The side-bar to this is back in the rules/regs. You must be ready to respond at 0700 - anything less than that violates those rules as you have diminished the effectiveness of our station by delaying response. Now THAT has teeth when it comes to handling the folks that show up at the last minute every day.

Leave a comment:

• flipper123
    replied
    Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
    Read more carefully. If I was required to be in at 745....Id better be getting paid by 745. House rules are different...and Im usually in atleast an hour and a half early.
    Sorry man, wasn't thinkin it was you, I get your point

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied
    Originally posted by flipper123 View Post
    That's what the guys that come in at 0659 at my dept say.
    They get paid for 0700-0700, so being early is workin for free.
    Personally I think that's kinda d-bag.
    ****es me off, but that's what they say...
    Read more carefully. If I was required to be in at 745....Id better be getting paid by 745. House rules are different...and Im usually in atleast an hour and a half early.
    Last edited by nyckftbl; 03-30-2011, 08:05 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    I'd take it ... my night owl tendencies would adapt to that schedule quickly.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    That is plain dumb. Two days completly messed up. The one coming to work and the one leaving work.

Oh I take THAT IS 1145 HOURS OR 11:45 am, HUH?

Leave a comment:

• boot86
    replied

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    You guys must have a lot to go over. I normally had a line up of all of 15 minutes. The members then did the house work and the cook made the decision what was going to be on the menu.
    We are doing line up for a 48 hour tour. Like I said, it depends on the officer. I've had 15 minute line ups as well. The time is not set in stone.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by snowball View Post
    Our line up consists of the officers wishes for the tour, the daily house duties, the chow menu, gear discrepancies, and any special notices put out by HQ. The 90 minutes comes into play if we have a BC attending. They go over staff meeting minutes, various comittee meeting minutes and department info in general. They also take advantage of our coffee.
    You guys must have a lot to go over. I normally had a line up of all of 15 minutes. The members then did the house work and the cook made the decision what was going to be on the menu.

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
    Just curious, what are you all doing line up that could possibly take 90 minutes? Wondering if my idea of line up is something different?
    Our line up consists of the officers wishes for the tour, the daily house duties, the chow menu, gear discrepancies, and any special notices put out by HQ. The 90 minutes comes into play if we have a BC attending. They go over staff meeting minutes, various comittee meeting minutes and department info in general. They also take advantage of our coffee.

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    replied
    Originally posted by flipper123 View Post
    ff 0700, bc 0600.
    Anyone have guys that come in at 0659, or even sit in the parking lot until 0659, because that's what the contract states?
    We have 1 or 2 out of 400 or so that do this.
    Blows me away.
    And these are the douchbags that wonder why no one will stay late for them if they get stuck in traffic or come in early for them.
    All line menbers change at 0800.

Most company officers wander in about 0730 or so.

Deputy Chief and aid in about 6:45-0700 to square away manpower issues (replacing sick or personal call offs) for the shift. That would include authorizing calling in guys for OT after deciding which 5 or so companies are browned out for the tour..

Leave a comment:

• flipper123
    replied
    If my "shift change" is at 8, but Im considered late at 745, Id better be getting 15 minutes OT for every tour.
    That's what the guys that come in at 0659 at my dept say.
    They get paid for 0700-0700, so being early is workin for free.
    Personally I think that's kinda d-bag.
    ****es me off, but that's what they say...

Leave a comment:

• BSFD184
    replied
    If my "shift change" is at 8, but Im considered late at 745, Id better be getting 15 minutes OT for every tour.
    I updated my wording to clarify

Leave a comment:

• nyckftbl
    replied

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X