Shift Change Time? BC vs FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RFDGloWorm View Post
    Pretty sh---y attitude to have about equipment. I relieve no later than 0730, at the same time I check my SCOTT and tools for the day because at 0735 I could be going to work. The five minutes it takes to do this, is only five minutes delaying my cup of java....no big deal.

In the same breath, I could say I never understand the azzwholes that show up to the firehouse but don't put their gear on the truck until after 0800. Then when the buzzer hits at 0755, they're scrambling and throwing gear to get on the rig. You think they'd learn after the first time this happens??? Once I cross the threshold of the firehouse, my gear is put on the rig and I'm ready, even after 13 years.
    You obviously misunderstood me. Like you, the first thing I do in the morning is put my gear on the truck and check my pack. However, I do not get there an hour early to pull the truck out and run equipment so the truck is "ready when my shift starts" like some people think you need to. The first hour to hour and a half of my shift is spent checking equipment and making sure everything is ready for the day, which starts at 0700.
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Yeah, the wording was a little misleading. Quite frankly, I was surprised by it and didn't think that was your style. Nonetheless, glad we cleared it up and my impression of you has been corrected my friend!!

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
        I have never understood the whole checking of the trucks and equipment before your shift starts. That is part of my daily duties, which are part of my job, which starts when my shift does.
        So, are you saying you don't do anything until 7? You get there at 6:45, right? Do you relieve your guy then, or wait the 15 min? I don't understand what you mean.

Shift change here is officially 8am, but most guys get there between 6:30 and 6:45. You have until 7:00am to still be considered a decent guy. When I get in at 6:30, I take his gear off (he is then free to leave), put mine on, and am on duty - it doesn't matter that the official time is 8. BC's relieve at 6am, I have no idea if this is an official rule or not, it's just the way it works.
        Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Comment

Originally posted by flipper123 View Post
          ff 0700, bc 0600.
          Anyone have guys that come in at 0659, or even sit in the parking lot until 0659, because that's what the contract states?
          We have 1 or 2 out of 400 or so that do this.
          Blows me away.
          Everybody has a few... NFPA requirement!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by Whocares View Post
            So, are you saying you don't do anything until 7? You get there at 6:45, right? Do you relieve your guy then, or wait the 15 min? I don't understand what you mean.

Shift change here is officially 8am, but most guys get there between 6:30 and 6:45. You have until 7:00am to still be considered a decent guy. When I get in at 6:30, I take his gear off (he is then free to leave), put mine on, and am on duty - it doesn't matter that the official time is 8. BC's relieve at 6am, I have no idea if this is an official rule or not, it's just the way it works.
            In the world of computer based time clocks where you have a 15 minute window to clock in/out every morning, we don't have this luxury.
            Career Firefighter
            Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post

I have never understood the whole checking of the trucks and equipment before your shift starts. That is part of my daily duties, which are part of my job, which starts when my shift does.
              Personal preference I guess. We have line up at 0800 which takes anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes, depends on the officer. Then p/t and off to the store usually no later than 1100. Pretty packed morning even without any calls. So the sooner you knock out the rig and all other daily duties the sooner you can f-off in the afternoon. That is if you're caught up on hydrants and inspections and training and......

If my rig is squared away before the "official" time starts, that's one big concern off the list.
              IAFF

Comment

In my current Department everyone officially changes at 8:00. However, everyone typically relieves around 7:00-7:15. There are a few guys that ring the bell at 8:00.

My previous department BC's changed at 6:00 am and everyone else at 7:00. There was not relieving early. You could not relieve before 7:00 am without a signed time trade form and the BC's approval. Oh yeah, it also had to be approved on your previous shift. Thats part of the reason it is my PREVIOUS department. Too much petty B.S.

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                  We have line up at 0800 which takes anywhere from 30 to 90 minutes, depends on the officer. Then p/t and off to the store usually no later than 1100.
                  Just curious, what are you all doing line up that could possibly take 90 minutes? Wondering if my idea of line up is something different?
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

At my department lineup is at 0800. You are late if not ready in uniform and waiting for line up/roll call by 0745. Like others have said though you are considered a lazy *** by the rest of the crew if your not there by at least 0730.

Me personally I like to get there by about 0715 so I have time to Chen my pack, get everything setup etc. Plus make the coffee since I am the proby at this department.
                    Last edited by BSFD184; 03-29-2011, 11:45 AM. Reason: Re-wording
                    Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

Comment

If my "shift change" is at 8, but Im considered late at 745, Id better be getting 15 minutes OT for every tour.
                      Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                        If my "shift change" is at 8, but Im considered late at 745, Id better be getting 15 minutes OT for every tour.
                        I updated my wording to clarify
                        Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
                          That's what the guys that come in at 0659 at my dept say.
                          They get paid for 0700-0700, so being early is workin for free.
                          Personally I think that's kinda d-bag.
                          ****es me off, but that's what they say...

Comment

Originally posted by flipper123 View Post
                            ff 0700, bc 0600.
                            Anyone have guys that come in at 0659, or even sit in the parking lot until 0659, because that's what the contract states?
                            We have 1 or 2 out of 400 or so that do this.
                            Blows me away.
                            And these are the douchbags that wonder why no one will stay late for them if they get stuck in traffic or come in early for them.
                            All line menbers change at 0800.

Most company officers wander in about 0730 or so.

Deputy Chief and aid in about 6:45-0700 to square away manpower issues (replacing sick or personal call offs) for the shift. That would include authorizing calling in guys for OT after deciding which 5 or so companies are browned out for the tour..

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                              Just curious, what are you all doing line up that could possibly take 90 minutes? Wondering if my idea of line up is something different?
                              Our line up consists of the officers wishes for the tour, the daily house duties, the chow menu, gear discrepancies, and any special notices put out by HQ. The 90 minutes comes into play if we have a BC attending. They go over staff meeting minutes, various comittee meeting minutes and department info in general. They also take advantage of our coffee.
                              IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                                Our line up consists of the officers wishes for the tour, the daily house duties, the chow menu, gear discrepancies, and any special notices put out by HQ. The 90 minutes comes into play if we have a BC attending. They go over staff meeting minutes, various comittee meeting minutes and department info in general. They also take advantage of our coffee.
                                You guys must have a lot to go over. I normally had a line up of all of 15 minutes. The members then did the house work and the cook made the decision what was going to be on the menu.
                                Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...