Shift Change Time? BC vs FF

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shift Change Time? BC vs FF

Shift change for Battalion Chiefs at 0700 and the rest of the Operations section changes at 0800.

From what I can tell, the fire department in Santa Fe, New Mexico does it this way and I am in the process of contacting them to see the PROS and CONS.

Does anyone else have a similar shift change schedule. If so, what times do you use and how does that work for you, PROS and CONS.

Looking for feedback weather or not your agency does it. What do you think would be the PROS and CONS?

I hope I picked the right part of the Forums for this,

Have a great day folks, looking forward to your feedback.
    Love this job, from day one I knew it was meant for me

Toledo Fire has staff @ 0700 and BC's @ 0600 or 0630.
    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

A neighboring department has BC's report at 0700 and staff at 0800.

Our department does all shift changes at 0700, but I don't know of any BC that doesn't report to his office later than 0600.

I would want the BC's there before anyone else so they can handle staffing issues, anything that occurred overnight, and the like. Only makes sense to me.

(FWIW, when I was still a law enforcement dispatcher, our shift change occurred 30 minutes before the troopers so we could handle anything that needed to be addressed before we had 60 troopers marking on and off duty at once).
      Career Fire Captain
      Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

all officers change tours 15 minutes before ffs.
        Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

The Deputy Chiefs in my FD do shift change at the same time as the rest of the group. Any OT comes off of the offgoing group and is already set up.
          Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 03-28-2011, 12:43 AM.
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Dalton did shift change at 0800, that was everybody did shift change at that time. But, most guys got there around 0700-0730 so they could do a proper changeover and maybe let the guy they were relieving go on home a little early. Usually the BC's were there well before anybody else, except maybe the Capt's.

Comment

Thanks

I totally understand the fact that most folks get in early, as in 0730 for an 0800 relief time. The main point I am looking at is that battalion chief level would change times earlier than the normal engine and truck folks.

My view and situation:
              Dispatch changes at 0700 and all other 24 hour crews at 0800.

If we make a change for just the BC level to 0700, they can do a conference call at 0730 with all (8 in our case) Battalions - with current weather forecast, training situations, Dispatch supervisor can be on too and advise of any major incidents for past 24 hours, investigator can up date any problem areas or thrends. Sometimes training or programs in one battalion can effect other battalion call loads - so it would put us all on the same page. Overall "Better communication" at the start of the shift for everyone. Each Battalion does a conference call between 8-9 with the BC... at this call he would be able to update all Captains.

Thanks for the feedback thus far, I really appreciate as I am collecting this info to use in a promotional project. But I have "fallen in love" with the idea of it, and what I see as the major benefits of it (too much to type in here, as you would be reading for hours).
              Last edited by Lovethejob; 03-28-2011, 01:46 AM.
              Love this job, from day one I knew it was meant for me

Comment

ff 0700, bc 0600.
                Anyone have guys that come in at 0659, or even sit in the parking lot until 0659, because that's what the contract states?
                We have 1 or 2 out of 400 or so that do this.
                Blows me away.

Comment

Officially, BC's 0700, line 0800. Back each up an hour and you would be more accurate. BC's do the scheduling, line does change over and equipment check before 0800 lineup. Also, the C shift cleans up the entire house because the
                  B-tards are lazy slobs.
                  IAFF

Comment

In my old department, the official shift change was at 0800 hours. However you had to be in the fire house no later than 0745 hours.

Having said that, we were very flexible. If you and your relief's chose to change or relieve at 0600 or 0630, then that was your change time. Some time your regular man was off and you may get struck with another member or a fill in member, who in most cases dragged their feet getting it. They were the ones who wanted to swap with someone and leave as early as they could.

We had a bunch of members who worked on their day off, including myself and wanted to get away from the fire house as early as they could so they could maybe run by home kiss the wife, pat the kids on the head, pick up a brown bag and go to the day off job.

Some of the members operated farms and wanted to get home as soon as possible to get out in the fields with the rest of their family or crew.

When I worked in the company, I was always in the house by 0630 and most of the time it was 0600. Same goes when I was on the Battalion car, the BC's switched at usually no later than 0600 hours.
                    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by Lovethejob View Post
                      Shift change for Battalion Chiefs at 0700 and the rest of the Operations section changes at 0800.

From what I can tell, the fire department in Santa Fe, New Mexico does it this way and I am in the process of contacting them to see the PROS and CONS.

Does anyone else have a similar shift change schedule. If so, what times do you use and how does that work for you, PROS and CONS.

Looking for feedback weather or not your agency does it. What do you think would be the PROS and CONS?

I hope I picked the right part of the Forums for this,

Have a great day folks, looking forward to your feedback.

Yes, we have a similar setup, BC's report at 0630 though and shift change for FF's is 0700. BC's will review the roster for the day and make changes if there are vacancies like last minute trades, sick day, vacation, etc, also if people need to be sent to different stations etc. This also allows the BC's to call in OT if needed. Don't really see any CONS to such a system, the hours worked are still the same.
                      The thoughts and opinions posted here are mine and mine alone and do not reflect the thoughts and or views of city or dept affiliation.

Comment

All personnel here swap at 0700. Like others have said, unless you are just a sorry ***** you get to work anywhere between 0630 and 0645. No one likes having to run a call with 10 minutes left in your shift because your relief was late.

I have never understood the whole checking of the trucks and equipment before your shift starts. That is part of my daily duties, which are part of my job, which starts when my shift does.
                        Career Firefighter
                        Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                        I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                          The Deputy Chiefs in my FD do shift change at the same time as the rest of the group. Any OT comes off of the offgoing group and is already set up.
                          With shift change at 0700, our members can call in sick up until 0630, so it's difficult for our previous shift's BC's to predict OT needs with a lot of accuracy.
                          Career Fire Captain
                          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

BC's at 0700-0730....all others at 0800.

Works out well as they handle the last minute call outs and details of personnel early.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                              All personnel here swap at 0700. Like others have said, unless you are just a sorry ***** you get to work anywhere between 0630 and 0645. No one likes having to run a call with 10 minutes left in your shift because your relief was late.

I have never understood the whole checking of the trucks and equipment before your shift starts. That is part of my daily duties, which are part of my job, which starts when my shift does.
                              Pretty sh---y attitude to have about equipment. I relieve no later than 0730, at the same time I check my SCOTT and tools for the day because at 0735 I could be going to work. The five minutes it takes to do this, is only five minutes delaying my cup of java....no big deal.

In the same breath, I could say I never understand the azzwholes that show up to the firehouse but don't put their gear on the truck until after 0800. Then when the buzzer hits at 0755, they're scrambling and throwing gear to get on the rig. You think they'd learn after the first time this happens??? Once I cross the threshold of the firehouse, my gear is put on the rig and I'm ready, even after 13 years.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X