No announcement yet.

WV Fire Marshal's Office ceases POV permits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

OK I'll take the beating I'm going to get with this. With out knowing all the details I feel that I would not want the red light permits taken away. Now let me explain why. In areas where the towns are small, all connect to each other and the fire departments coverage area is smaller like under maybe 15 or 20 square miles I don't feel red lights are really needed. How ever in areas like mine, in rural Arkansas most of the firefighters respond POV. Reason being many times the fire station is out of the way to travel to get to the fire. Plus many of our runs are with more then one fire department with large coverage areas. It is not uncommon for me to have to run 15 miles or more to a call. Red lights help out alot. Plus becuase we are responding POV most have light for once we get to the scene. The light helps our POV's not get hit by rubber neckers. ( yes we park off the road and away from the scene. ) Also many of the first responders respond to medical calls strictly in POV. In this case it's a huge benefit once you get to the home that the owners see its a help coming down the driveway and or they help direct us to the right driveway. ( many times some one has to meet us on a main road to show us the drive way or trail to the house or we would never fine it.)

Now that being said, when a firefighter runs red lights said firefighter is taking on the responciblity of using it correctly. I don't really speed. I don't pass on curves or when the road is narrow. I even turn off the red light at times if I think it will cause the car in front of me to panic and make a bad decision. My department does not let rookies use red lights and the fire department doesn't issue them. But the department can say, you can not use it if the department feels you have abused it. If you don't take it out you don't make runs simple as that.

So over all I'm for red lights ( or blue if you nor east lol) for rural areas with long distances to travel and dirt roads. I'm against it for small town or smaller fire districts where you can be anywhere in your district in 5 minutes or most of the time you only respond to the fire station ( hall).
    Last edited by volfireman034; 03-28-2011, 04:00 AM. Reason: more info

Comment

I think its a good thing. You don't need 40 different emergency vehicles flying around town. Can only lead to bad things.
      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Interesting. All those cheering so far are from the Nannystates in the NE. I guess the solution to POVs on scene is to buy $650000 10man custom cab pumpers (and issue FD SUVs (with lights) to each member of the FD).

Comment

Originally posted by fireinfo10 View Post
          Interesting. All those cheering so far are from the Nannystates in the NE. I guess the solution to POVs on scene is to buy $650000 10man custom cab pumpers (and issue FD SUVs (with lights) to each member of the FD).
          What is a "nannystate"?

Do you have any intelligent comments or just this nonsense? I'm cool with nonsense, by the way.
          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
            What is a "nannystate"?

Do you have any intelligent comments or just this nonsense? I'm cool with nonsense, by the way.
            Chief, for your enjoyment:

from wikipedia:

Nanny state is a pejorative used to reference a state of protectionism, economic interventionism, or regulatory policies (of economic, social or other nature), and the perception that these policies are becoming institutionalized as common practice. Opponents of such policies use the term in their advocacy against what they consider as uninvited and damaging state intervention

Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

Originally posted by admpaul View Post
              I think this is a good idea. Hopefully this will get people to slow down a little bit and stop crashing their vehicle while responding. I have not used my red light in my vehicle in a few years and I still get to the station in the same amount of time and safely. So this is being done to do some type of study the way I understood the write up? Well have there been probelms that they needed to do this?
              I've had Red lights in my Pov for over 35 years.Haven't crashed,haven't run over anyone in a crosswalk. In fact,around HERE,LE LIKES lights as they know who to let in and who not to. AND once again there is no "One rule fits all" answer even though some of you think there is. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
                Chief, for your enjoyment:

from wikipedia:

Nanny state is a pejorative used to reference a state of protectionism, economic interventionism, or regulatory policies (of economic, social or other nature), and the perception that these policies are becoming institutionalized as common practice. Opponents of such policies use the term in their advocacy against what they consider as uninvited and damaging state intervention

Thanks... I wish that were true. I find the state to be downright hostile.

Comment

around here...

Some Chief's have red lights in their personal vehicles as they respond directly to the scene. Never been a problem.

Very few members have blue lights in their vehicles as they respond to the firehouse, not the scene.
                  "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Thanks... I wish that were true. I find the state to be downright hostile.
                    These forums as are also at times. Brother against brother, dang... Enough!
                    Am I being effective in my efforts or am I merely showing up in my fireman costume to watch a house burn down?” (Joe Brown, www.justlookingbusy.wordpress.com)

Comment

It's amazing how many people still think that POV lights somehow make you run off the road and act the fool. Idiots who never needed a light permit in the first place are the ones responsible for that.
                      Career Firefighter
                      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                        It's amazing how many people still think that POV lights somehow make you run off the road and act the fool. Idiots who never needed a light permit in the first place are the ones responsible for that.
                        Granted... but on a working fire call, my department will have between 20 and 40 members going to one location, the firehouse.

As these 30 people get closer to that one location, there is the opportunity that conflicts in right of way can occur.

Add a siren and a few intersections and it would be a disaster. There is no incident where that minor difference in time would create a problem.

As it is, we've had issues in the parking lot where guys were coming in from different directions and being careless with just their blue lights. You can cite "training" and "discipline" all you want, that's not going to correct all ills.

Standard disclaimer applies about one size not fitting all...

Comment

Granted... but on a working fire call, my department will have between 20 and 40 members going to one location, the firehouse.

As these 30 people get closer to that one location, there is the opportunity that conflicts in right of way can occur.

Add a siren and a few intersections and it would be a disaster. There is no incident where that minor difference in time would create a problem.

As it is, we've had issues in the parking lot where guys were coming in from different directions and being careless with just their blue lights. You can cite "training" and "discipline" all you want, that's not going to correct all ills.

Standard disclaimer applies about one size not fitting all...
                          I completely agree with this scenario--that's a disaster waiting to happen, and that's a great response from your members by the way! However, we are usually working with +/- 12 personnel from two departments for a structure fire. For extremely rural departments, I support red lights. For cities/urbs, I feel it's a whole different approach and can see the potential problem.

Comment

ChiefKN you prove my point very well. In well staff and smaller size fire districts ( meaning coverage area) red or blue lights can cause major problems. In rural areas like mine we are lucky to have 2-3 firefighters go the fire station and maybe another 2 or 3 go to the scene so theres not much chance for problems. Now how to make a law that benefits both side GOOD LUCK!

By the way ChiefKN what part of NJ is the nice part you are from? I grew up on LBI.
                            Last edited by volfireman034; 03-28-2011, 04:22 PM. Reason: comment

Comment

In WI it is up to the local police chief or sheriff to allow vehicles to have lights. I know certain people exceed the speed limit with red light and think there is nothing wrong. Well I'm sorry doing 70 in a 55 I have a problem with that. They still don't make a truck and stay at the station unless needed. I heard IL at one time let people use green lights does anyone know anything about that?

Comment

Originally posted by admpaul View Post
                                In WI it is up to the local police chief or sheriff to allow vehicles to have lights. I know certain people exceed the speed limit with red light and think there is nothing wrong. Well I'm sorry doing 70 in a 55 I have a problem with that. They still don't make a truck and stay at the station unless needed. I heard IL at one time let people use green lights does anyone know anything about that?
                                I drive 70 in a 55 all the time around here just driving from place to place. No where in this state other than a 4 lane road will the speed limit be over 55.
                                Career Firefighter
                                Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X