Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Firefighter driving apparatus involved in backing death nees help.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Firefighter driving apparatus involved in backing death nees help.

Hello all,
    I am posting in regards to getting some help for a brother firefighter of mine. First here is a little background info. I am a firefighter with the USAF stationed in Okinawa, Japan. On Feb 11th 2011, we recently had a horrible tragedy happen where another firefighter was killed in the line of duty while backing a crash vehicle into the station after training a younger Airmen. I cannot give any further details at this time. The reason I am posting is because the firefighter who was driving the vehicle, is not doing so well. He is having a hard time dealing with things (Naturally). I am putting this out there, I know some other departments have had things like this happen or even something similar. I have become close friends with this young guy since the accident happened, and I feel if there was a way to make contact with someone who experienced the same type of thing, it would be great for this young firefighter to relate to someone. I truly believe it would help him tremendously. Please if anyone has had this happen, I would love to hear from them so we could set something up to help out. This kid was well on his way to being a great fire dawg. He was ahead of his peers with certification and on a role to become one of our best young Airmen. Even if he doesn’t stay a firefighter, I want someway to help him get through this hard time. Please contact me and let me know if anyone can help out. Thanks again, and if there are any questions please let me know.

Critical incident stress is critical incident stress whether it's a kid killed in a fire or a brother who dies in the line of duty.

The answer is counselling - professional counselling. Nobody should go through this along. Trying to do so usually has a bad result.

If you have a challenge, it's that you've got a really small community in a foreign land - it will be hard to reach outside that community to an unbiased ear.

None of that changes the fact that this individual was apparently responsible for another person's death, however accidentally. You can't make that go away - you can only learn to deal with it.
    Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I hear you, He is getting proffesional help, from our mental health doctors here in the military, but from his own words he would like to speak with other people to see how they dealt with everything. He has nothing but support from everyone here, but we all know it is up to him to get better, with close support from his friend, family, coworkers. I have put many requests on different forums and sites requesting help, but so far no one has replied back. Its harder for this guy, because he had not even been in the air force for a year yet, and this happens to him. His first time away from home, and in his new job. Its just heartbreaking to see one of our younger guys going through this, with no way to help other than to lend an ear, or give what little advice we can. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Sorry to hear about the loss and what he is going through

I know it is a drastic change going into the military, and moving away from your known support group.

I do not know if any of the pilots were possibly be able to talk to him, maybe someone that has lost a fellow flyer??

Have not been there, sounds like time is what it is going to take, and for him and the Air force to decide where his life will take him next.

will be praying for him
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
        Working...