Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which departments use a quiet response policy to certain types of calls?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The only time I would consider running lights, but no siren is at 2 in the morning when no one is on the road, except when coming up to intersections, blind curves, other times someone may not be able to see us coming. No point in waking people if you don't need to. (and I know i will probably get flack for that)
    Brian Irey

My comments are mine and mine alone - they do not represent any thoughts or views of my department or anyone else

Comment

Police often run lights/no siren when responding to things such as silent burglary alarms, workplace incidents or high risk situations like a jumper so they don't scare off a criminal, infuriate an emotional individual or further push a person on a roof top.

They'll tap the siren at intersections for safety, but won't wake the dead.

There are also several places that medics run lights only if the patient dies en route to the hospital or they have a stable, but priority transport to another facility.

Can't say any of the above is official SOP, but it happens every day.

Comment

Originally posted by Rarified27 View Post
        Police often run lights/no siren when responding to things such as silent burglary alarms, workplace incidents or high risk situations like a jumper so they don't scare off a criminal, infuriate an emotional individual or further push a person on a roof top.

They'll tap the siren at intersections for safety, but won't wake the dead.

There are also several places that medics run lights only if the patient dies en route to the hospital or they have a stable, but priority transport to another facility.

Can't say any of the above is official SOP, but it happens every day.
        The Police does what they want, when they want to. End of class.

Med Units here run either hot or cold. Never lights only. If a patient dies while going to the hospital, they stay hot. It is not the Medics place to make a deceased call enroute.

FM1
        I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
        "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by 105 View Post
          Odd - have you never seen the police do the exact same thing? Quite often I've seen police cars running just lights, no siren and not speeding to a call - they are responding, obviously, but not to a situation that requires immediate drastic response.

We do the same thing.... I'm... a touch puzzled as to why you would think this is "one of the most bizarre things I've seen here".
          Around here I see cops speeding and rolling through busy intersections with lights and no siren, most of the time in unmarked cars. I can't tell you how many times i've seen them almost get smashed.

Comment

and they get smashed a lot too.

Comment

Not that long ago, a driver in the No. Virginia area was killed by a police officer who ran a red ight without sirens. Here in Maryland, you must use audible warnings along with the light show if you want to request right of way. Anyway, I have to agree with those who are puzzled by the idea of using emergency lights on a non-emergent response; around here, it would just confuse people. The only time we turn on emergency lights other than an actual emergency response is when we need to back into the station.

Now, as to the original question - we run routine responses for:
              - service calls (help a patient into bed, lockouts when there is not an immediate danger of fire or harm)
              - when the first arriving unit has nothing evident and requests the other units to slow down their response
              - an assault or suicide call when our good friends the police haven't secured the scene yet.

ETA: this is for Montgomery Co., MD

Comment

Originally posted by 105 View Post
                Subsequent trucks leave the hall with only lights flashing unless there is a dire need to get them on-scene as soon as possible. They also obey all traffic laws and act as just another vehicle on the road.
                So what happens if one of the lights-only trucks comes to a red light. Do they sit there in traffic with their warning lights flashing and wait for the light to turn green? I'm honest to goodness asking out curiosity.

In Arkansas, state law says that you are not considered an emergency vehicle unless you use an "audible bell, siren or whistle" in conjunction with your emergency lights. With that said, I work for a suburban department and we don't use the siren much if there is no traffic on the road.
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by cozmosis View Post
                  So what happens if one of the lights-only trucks comes to a red light. Do they sit there in traffic with their warning lights flashing and wait for the light to turn green? I'm honest to goodness asking out curiosity.
                  Yepper - all stop signs, yield signs, red lights are obeyed. It's interesting that is seems to be quite rare - I've honestly only suspicions why it occurs here (such as liability issues, visibility issues, etc. etc.) but they are only suspicions rather than actual facts regarding legislation.

Notwithstanding, it's pretty much policy up here. That, and freezing your arse off from september to may.

Comment

Our Department policy is unless its is a fire or medical or mva in your first due or we are upgraded by the battalion that every one else responds non emergency...
                    LEATHER FOREVER! Because tactical tupperware just sucks!
                    "A Firefighter without tools is only an informed citizen"

Comment

we do ...........
                      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                        There isn't much we don't run lights and sirens for, but when I say "lights and sirens" Sirens are not always a requirement. The things I can list we don't run code for, are flooded basements calls. And honestly that is about it, any other non-life threatening call its left up to the officer and driver/operator on whether or not lights are used.

Lift assists, tree's and wires calls, similar stuff such as that we will run pretty much lights only.
                        Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but, What do you do at a flooded basement?

Comment

Originally posted by treeguy View Post
                          Sorry if I'm hijacking this thread but, What do you do at a flooded basement?
                          Shut off the water, pump it out, then put the water vac on the low man and let him go.
                          IAFF

Comment

OK, I've got some more questions, so I'll start a new thread.

Back to your thread already in progress. I'll start it off.
                            Sometimes at night, I run siren but no lights, just to keep em guessing.

Comment

Originally posted by WoppA124 View Post
                              I'm a firefighter doing a research project for a college course; Can anyone answer with any departments they know who respond without lights and sirens and obeying all traffic laws to certain types of calls.

So far I know that St Louis FD and Detroit FD does. And the FDNY is testing it out. Thanks.
                              What kinds of calls are you referring to where Detroit supposedly doesn't run lights and sirens?

Comment

In Houston we run non emergent for assist a citizen, automatic alarms if OEC tells us to and respond non emergency and on house fires and apt fires. I'll explain.

If dispatched to house on fire or apt. fire we will all respond emergency to the call. The first in will go on location "investigating," this prompts OEC to sound out a tone on the assigned tac channel that an engine has gone on location investigating and for all units to respond non emergency. " E76 on location, 3 story wood frame apt, will be investigating." OEC- TONE - "All units responding to 4315 s.kirkwood, respond non emergency, E76 is onscene investigating."

On high rise boxes and building fires we continue to respond emergency even if a unit has gone on location investigating.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X