Why cant you run in a pack test?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why cant you run in a pack test?!

Hows it going yall. So straight to the question. Why on earth cant you run on a pack test?! It makes no sense to me. its almost like they are promoting mediocrity. I understand its "pass/fail" but lets be realistic every thing in life is "pass/fail" but you will be in a better light if you do the best in every drill...

thanks for the responses, Lucas

First of all, I'm not quite sure what you mean by a "pack test". Could you elaborate? But nonetheless, I know our city doesn't allow running during any part of our PAT primarily due to liability. We simply don't want anyone getting hurt.

So, fwiw.

Take care man,

Pete

Comment

Originally posted by lkjackson321 View Post
      Hows it going yall. So straight to the question. Why on earth cant you run on a pack test?! It makes no sense to me. its almost like they are promoting mediocrity. I understand its "pass/fail" but lets be realistic every thing in life is "pass/fail" but you will be in a better light if you do the best in every drill...

We have to do 2 miles in 30 minutes with a tank on (amongst other things) to get into the school I'm attending and I've tried it with a waited vest and I haven't been able to walk it in 30 minutes yet. Its just hard to walk that fast but jogging I can do it in well under 30minutes

Comment

That is the way the test is set up. I assume it creates an equal playing field.
        your going to have to learn to rotate your hips as you walk to get a longer stride as well as step up the pace.
        It may look funny the way you have to walk but who cares, how bad do you want it?

Comment

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-13-2013, 12:46 PM.

Comment

The test is designed to measure your endurance, not your short term work ability.

Seems like a minor difference.

It also measures your ability to focus on your performance and keep up a paced walk.
            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Exactly, it measures your endurance. 3 miles with 45 pounds in 45 minutes. Its not that hard, its normal to brisk walking pace.

Anyone could run 3 miles in that amount of time (I hope).

Other than that, its the rules and its how the test was set up. Back in the day they had a separate run test that you could take if you wanted. I think it was a mile and a half in like 12 minutes but I can't recall exactly. It was WAY too easy.
              www.miamivalleyfools.org

Comment

Originally posted by ColoradoDave View Post
                They dont want anyone to run b/c it's easy to roll a ankle.... And do you run on the fire grounds? No so.....
                I don't know, I had to run once when I was in Montana. Damn that lookout!

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Last edited by ColoradoDave; 02-12-2013, 12:08 PM.

Comment

Old saying "if you run , you will run out of fight before you run out of fire"
                    And chief KN --- ill never own up to running --- but a few times I have "walked fast and looked worried"
                    ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                      Old saying "if you run , you will run out of fight before you run out of fire"
                      And chief KN --- ill never own up to running --- but a few times I have "walked fast and looked worried"
                      Good point. It was a very fast walk.... thankfully some overhead in two pickups stopped and 10 of us piled into the back of each one. Or we would have been running.

Comment

Originally posted by lkjackson321 View Post

I think it's how you look at it too. I just did ours a month or 2 ago and some guys went for the pass/fail (which is fine. It's how the test was designed.), but a few of the competitive bunch went for our best times (I crossed with a group that did just over 36 mins).

I would try to encourage the latter in your dept, but you can't force people to aim for their fastest time.
                        Nothing is as unimpressive as someone who is unwilling to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by CodyK View Post
                          We have to do 2 miles in 30 minutes with a tank on (amongst other things) to get into the school I'm attending and I've tried it with a waited vest and I haven't been able to walk it in 30 minutes yet. Its just hard to walk that fast but jogging I can do it in well under 30minutes
                          If you can't walk a 4mph pace with the pack on your back, how do you expect to keep up in the school?
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X