Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Here, FFI questions

Good Evening guys,

I am waiting to hear back about being accepted to a local Fire Dept/EMS Squad. I have been looking into getting as much training as possible and have found somethings I am interested in. I am looking for some advice in what you think would be beneficial for me to look into.

Fire Firefighter I

Fire Fighter II

Intro to fire protection technology

Fire prevention and inspection

fire suppression technology

Rescue Stratgey and Tactics

Fire Officer I (for the future)

Intro to Occupational Health and safety

EMS First Responder

EMT B

Ambulance - Emergency vehicle operator course

Those are the courses that are local that I have been looking into. Can anyone help me with what would be the best to take and reasons?

Thanks,

Doug

Originally posted by 03CBR View Post
    Good Evening guys,

I am waiting to hear back about being accepted to a local Fire Dept/EMS Squad. I have been looking into getting as much training as possible and have found somethings I am interested in. I am looking for some advice in what you think would be beneficial for me to look into.

Fire Firefighter I

Fire Fighter II

Intro to fire protection technology

Fire prevention and inspection

fire suppression technology

Rescue Stratgey and Tactics

Fire Officer I (for the future)

Intro to Occupational Health and safety

EMS First Responder

EMT B

Ambulance - Emergency vehicle operator course

Those are the courses that are local that I have been looking into. Can anyone help me with what would be the best to take and reasons?

Thanks,

Doug
    Have you checked the dept's requirements? I would start there and complete the courses that got me hired 1st.

Comment

Originally posted by TL678 View Post
      Have you checked the dept's requirements? I would start there and complete the courses that got me hired 1st.
      This is where i would start. If the dept. is anything like the ones around here in ATL.. then the biggest thing is your EMS cert. Go ahead and get your EMT-I. Then You will look much better to the dept. FF1 and 2 will help but i'm sure you will still have to attend the departments rookie school if you have no experience. good luck with whatever you do! keep us posted.
      "....train as if your life depends on it, because one day it could.."
      .....Leather Head N6A
      Tillerman..... The best job in the FD!!!

Comment

Learn to cook.
        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

If I were you...

I would get my basic certs down first (FF1/2, Hazmat, EMT) and then make sure you know your apparatus, whats carried on them and how to use them.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

What state are you in??

Looks like for you firefighter I. II and emt
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

Thanks for the quick responses. I am in New York. Looks like I will be doing FF I and II, EMT and CFR. And for the responses of learning the truck, that is a given and will happen at every point I have time.

Since I am new and I will have a lot of stupid questions... is it normal for a new member to go to the station during off times (alone) to learn the trucks and tools?

Comment

Originally posted by 03CBR View Post

Since I am new and I will have a lot of stupid questions... is it normal for a new member to go to the station during off times (alone) to learn the trucks and tools?
                Not at all, in fact it actually is a very good thing. Not only does it help you, but it makes you look VERY good to your officers and other firefighters.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X