No announcement yet.

What would you do?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks alot guys... I think im going to call some recruiters this week. Like the fire service, the armed forces is in the blood as well. sounds like the next best step to gain some more training, education, and experience for later on...And thanks to those of you who have served, hats off to you.
    Last edited by Bubba32; 07-11-2011, 02:14 AM.

Comment

biggriff

I take issue to you statement about the military. Yes I saw where you had served and I think you for your service. No one force you in the service and there wasn't a draft pulling you in.

I too served and did my duty from 1958-1964, three active, three reserve.

During that time I never felt that I was used or as you say, "They deploy you at will to wherever your commanders see fit, and they do what makes THEM look good!"

The next time you set foot in Washington, DC, go up on Constitution Ave and visit the Wall and tell that bs to those 58,000 plus buddies and friends whose name is inscribed! Also to the over 2.7 million who served during that time.

Bubba - Don't go into the military expecting what maybe your Dad, GrandDad expereince when they went in.

If you go in, go for what you want out of it.
      Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-11-2011, 03:07 PM.
      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
        Take the full time EMS position and go back to school and get into a paramedic degree program. It will serve you well.
        I agree, you are alot more marketable when you have that EMT-P card. You could almost walk onto a fire department with that little card. So take that full time position and get your medic card. Then you will be set up nicely for a good firefighter job

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
          biggriff

I take issue to you statement about the military. Yes I saw where you had served and I think you for your service. No one force you in the service and there wasn't a draft pulling you in.

I too served and did my duty from 1958-1964, three active, three reserve.

During that time I never felt that I was used or as you say, "They deploy you at will to wherever your commanders see fit, and they do what makes THEM look good!"

The next time you set foot in Washington, DC, go up on Constitution Ave and visit the Wall and tell that bs to those 58,000 plus buddies and friends whose name is inscribed! Also to the over 2.7 million who served during that time.

Bubba - Don't go into the military expecting what maybe your Dad, GrandDad expereince when they went in.

If you go in, go for what you want out of it.
          I too appreciate your service, I would rather have been in your army then in my army..Your army had a lot more MEN then boys..mine however, was the other way around..

I'm sorry to say that I'm going to have to take issue with your statement..

I still feel that the military, and our politicians use our military to protect our political interests all around the world. There was NO reason for us to be involved in Vietnam..There sure as heck wasn't any reason for us to be in the first gulf war, or in Iraq this go around..except for well, Kuwait has a HUGE reserve of oil an we couldn't have Iraq take control of that now could we?? and as far as this Iraq war, there is NO read it again NO reason for us to be in in Iraq..we screwed that country up soooo much its not even funny. I'm guessing you haven't been there lately, well, its horrible. Because of us, the united states of America, and the coalition forces or whatever politically correct term that is used now..and don't feed me that al qaeda in Iraq garbage..you know who we're killing over there? the military aged males who have no jobs because we ruined their infrastructure and have to go dig holes, plant IEDs act as lookouts, drive suicide vehicles into my brothers and their own people for some money or for the promise that their family will be taken care of..and we're killing the people who are getting aggravated with us driving tanks up and down their streets, with us kicking in their doors at 2am and tearing their house apart because our leadership thinks that they are hiding bomb making materials or weapons caches..

So, with that being said..next time you are in Washington DC take a drive up Georgia Ave and swing by Walter reed Army Medical center..talk to some of the amputees there, talk to some of the people missing parts of their skulls, talk to people who can't remember their name..and these "people" are kids 18-24 years old who wanted to serve their country, who wanted to do better for themselves but ended up in a political meat grinder while a select few politicians and CEOs got rich of our poor men and women dying..and now they have nothing, NOTHING..except a GI Bill, or veterans benefits..

same thing for men/women who served in the first gulf war, in Kosovo, Vietnam and in Korea..people getting killed, maimed, physically, mentally for no good reason at all..you know it and I know it..

way off topic there..but oh well..

Comment

Okay guys. I have spent the day doing some studying an research on the military, but i have a few questions/concerns for you guys. number 1 is i don't meet the height/weight requirements, im 6ft tall and weigh 250lbs...can i enlist and do a delayed entry program or something to make tape? Also im red/green color blind, will that affect a firefighting mos? and lastly i understand that firefighting jobs in the military are somewhat slim, any pointers on getting the job i want. Sorry for all the questions but i have done a few searches and really cant get a good answer and seems like you all know your ****. And yes i know speeking with a recruiter will be my best bet for answers but id like to get all of my "ducks in a row" before taking that step.
            Last edited by Bubba32; 07-12-2011, 01:49 AM.

Comment

Id also would like to say that im not just interested in the service because i wana job later down the road. I have been raised to be patriotic, im a HUGE supporter of the troops(past and present) and I am willing to give something back to this great country. Id say this is something i should have done after high school but i always placed the fire dept before anything and now im kicken myself in the *** for it lol.
              Last edited by Bubba32; 07-12-2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
              Working...
              X