Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• So I am in need of advice...

Hey fellas,

Need some help. I need to get my little brother hired on a department. Little background. He is just now 21, we are a firefighting family. My dad, grandad, uncles, cousins....all of us are firemen. Since he has been 21 (11 mos) we have gone through 4 processes. We have no preference for the department, just so long as he is paid as a career member.

So initially he struggled with the written, so we studied our butts off and now he is scoring in the low to mid 90's. So now that we have gotten through that the last 3 processes have been a real struggle with the oral board. And I have tried hard to prepare him but it is just not quite as simple and a right and wrong I.Q. test.

Now, my advice that I need is in exam prep material. Specifically, Oral board prep. Like all of you, I have seen capt bob's posts and am curious to the level of help he can provide. Or is there something else I should look at? Any and all help is SO appreciated. The only thing I dont want to see in a reply is "hey he is only 21, hes got all the time in the world." Screw that. We are firefighters and the only thing we care about is that. I keep trying to tell him to be patient....but he is like I was. We had to wait 21 years to ride backwards and any amount of time over that is nothing but agony.

So heres to you and your advice...I can already tell you I am thankful.
    "It's a living thing brian..."

How far away is he willing to look? There's a testing coming soon here in SW Missouri for a number of departments that are in a testing alliance. Several are hiring. They typically test every 6 months, but there's getting to be enough departments on-board that this next test is only 3 or 4 months after the last, so they're getting more frequent.

Comment

Are you sure that he really wants to be a firefighter or is that what you and your family wants?

Sorry, but it's a question that needs to be asked based on the wording in your post.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
        Are you sure that he really wants to be a firefighter or is that what you and your family wants?

Sorry, but it's a question that needs to be asked based on the wording in your post.
        I assure you thats what he wants. He is the one that ask me to talk to you guys for advice. He wants it bad. If I could find a way to put into words the heartbreak on his face when he gets his "thanks for trying" letters, I would. However, I'm not that great with writing. Trust me on this one.

Comment

Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
          How far away is he willing to look? There's a testing coming soon here in SW Missouri for a number of departments that are in a testing alliance. Several are hiring. They typically test every 6 months, but there's getting to be enough departments on-board that this next test is only 3 or 4 months after the last, so they're getting more frequent.
          I doubt he would leave Indiana but I will certainly bring it up....

Edit: Discussed it with him and we are looking it up...to my surprise. Thanks CATCH!
          Last edited by truckedup133; 03-14-2011, 11:55 PM.

Comment

Just curious as to why you're posting, and not him?

Comment

Originally posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
              Just curious as to why you're posting, and not him?
              Wow...He is sitting right here in my living room...would you like me to put him on the phone? Not that it matters, but he doesnt have access to a computer or the internet in his apartment. Is it possible to move on to the folks who have advice?

Comment

Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
                I doubt he would leave Indiana but I will certainly bring it up....

Edit: Discussed it with him and we are looking it up...to my surprise. Thanks CATCH!
                No problem. Dropped you a PM in regards to this.

Comment

Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
                  Wow...He is sitting right here in my living room...would you like me to put him on the phone? Not that it matters, but he doesnt have access to a computer or the internet in his apartment. Is it possible to move on to the folks who have advice?
                  Calm your bird bro, I was just curious. No need to get hostile.

Comment

Originally posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
                    Calm your bird bro, I was just curious. No need to get hostile.
                    Its good. Might of taken it the wrong way...

Comment

Maybe that is "his" problem he can't communicate too well.
                      Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

A 21 year old who doesn't use the internet?
                        Something fishy about that

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                          Maybe that is "his" problem he can't communicate too well.
                          nevermind. Its not worth it. Yep you caught me....IM seceretly him. Nice work old timer. Enjoy your forum I'm done.
                          Last edited by truckedup133; 03-16-2011, 10:43 AM.

Comment

Its a shame that no one can ask a legit question on here anymore. Truckedup, best of luck to your brother!
                            Career Fire Captain
                            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Couldn't agree with you more BoxAlarm. I have been here for years and have seen this in about every post. That's why I dont post much, or even bother visiting these forums much anymore. To much arragance floating around here.
                              Pere Marquette Fire Department
                              "First in Last Out Crew"
                              Engine 2911

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse