Japan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Japan

It is tragic in Japan, and this is not to make light of that.

I am just surprised we have not seen half a dozen posts this time, from people who are on a department somewhere, no training in this kind of response, wondering how to get over there to save the day. Or wondering what USAR team they should join up with real quick so they can save the day.

Of course, with the reactor problems, maybe they are finally (rightfully) scared.

I was thinking the same thing. I have seen news clips of the USAR teams getting ready to deploy from California and Virginia but I haven't seen where they were officially called to go just yet.

I can't imagine the damage it has caused. Plus with the nuclear power plants and the huge fires just make things worse. Each one by themselves would be a huge incident.
    Jason Knecht
    Firefighter/EMT
    Township Fire Dept., Inc.
    Eau Claire, WI

IACOJ - Director of Cheese and Whine
    http://www.cheddarvision.tv/
    EAT CHEESE OR DIE!!

Comment

From USAID news release:

WASHINGTON, D.C. - In response to the earthquake and Tsunami in Japan, the U.S. Agency for International Development (USAID) is dispatching a Disaster Assistance Response Team (DART) and has mobilized its partners, the Fairfax County Urban Search and Rescue (USAR) Team and the Los Angeles County Search and Rescue Team. Each USAR team will be composed of approximately 72 personnel, search and rescue canines and approximately 75 tons of rescue equipment.

The USAR teams will be accompanied by USAID disaster experts who will assist with assessments of the situation.

"On behalf of the American people, I wish to convey our sympathy, thoughts and prayers to the people of Japan who have been affected by this devastating earthquake and tsunami," said USAID Administrator Rajiv Shah. "We are working with the government of Japan to provide any assistance needed in the rescue effort as quickly as possible." USAID will continue to provide additional support as needed.
      Lt. Dan Harris
      Rescue Co. 3
      Memphis Fire Dept.
      [email protected]

Comment

Originally posted by Dickey View Post
        I was thinking the same thing. I have seen news clips of the USAR teams getting ready to deploy from California and Virginia but I haven't seen where they were officially called to go just yet.
        Dickey, CATF-2 hit the ground in Japan around 0100 Sunday morning (EST.) As of 12 hours ago, they were trying to work out the logistics of getting to the Ofunato City area, where 1/2 of the team will be conducting reconnaissance and primaries, and the other 1/2 will be working on logistics and equipment prep at the Misawa Air Base.

If you facebook, go here: http://www.facebook.com/home.php#!/p...s/268856409432
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

Over here----

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/showthread.php?t=119840

Jason, Virginia's Team touchdown on Saturday or Sunday, depending on the time difference of 15 hours ahead of us, as shown on CNN yesterday.

Not sure about the California team. but would expect there are on scene as well.

LVFD Not everyone in a the fire service can be on the USAR Team.
          Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 03-14-2011, 11:08 AM.
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post

LVFD Not everyone in a the fire service can be on the USAR Team.
            Uh, yeah, I understand that. My comment was about the number of people that suddenly appear thinking they are going to go and save the day after every natural disaster - wanting to suddenly hook up with a USAR team. No training, no experience, just the God syndrome.

Like this one...

http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...ighlight=haiti

Or this one,
            http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...ighlight=haiti

Well meaning folks, just not aware...
            Last edited by LVFD301; 03-14-2011, 11:34 AM.

Comment

Any one notice (now the gov may be doing a little censoring) but no looting - no fighting over gas - no shoving old ladies down and no mobs chanting HELP ME
              ?

Comment

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
                Any one notice (now the gov may be doing a little censoring) but no looting - no fighting over gas - no shoving old ladies down and no mobs chanting HELP ME
                The Japanese culture is vastly different than ours. Much more stoic and reserved.

The biggest issue they have right now is surviving the food & water shortages, and the threat from the three nuke kettles on the verge of going critical.

Recovery operations are demanding they do what it takes to accomplish this, then they will get down to mourning their losses.

Comment

You do that in Japan and you risk being put away for life or having your hands or fingers cut off.

This country, the judge let's you loose to do some more.
                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                    You do that in Japan and you risk being put away for life or having your hands or fingers cut off.
                    That and I think a vast majority of those who may be fighting/shoving/whining are, sadly, dead.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X