No announcement yet.

Union Busting and Firehouse Magazine

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Can't. I was told to stay away from old men trying to hug me.
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
      Can't. I was told to stay away from old men trying to hug me.
      How about old women?

Or hot old women?
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Not while I'm still capable of attracting young women.
        ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
          How about old women?

Or hot old women?
          Like good looking hot or menopause hot?

Comment

Originally posted by rm1524 View Post
            Like good looking hot or menopause hot?
            Good looking hot.

Menopausal hot are far too moody and unpredictable.

Comment

Not while I'm still capable of attracting young women.
              Not if you look like your avatar....
              ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
              Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                Not if you look like your avatar....
                i use a cream for the bags under my eyes now

Comment

i use a cream for the bags under my eyes now
                  I hope you buy it in 55 gallon drums.. try dunking your whole head in it!
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                    On a f-ing Saturday of all things.
                    Yea.... wow.

I have to say I'm impressed.
                    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by hooks1 View Post
                      I am shocked to see an advertisement on firehouse.com for the "national right to work committee". This group is a thinly veiled organization of big business intent on stripping away the rights of Union firefighters everywhere in America. At a time when the right of firefighters to collectively organzie to protect their safety and the well being of their families is under attack like never before, it is apalling that Firehouse would publish this advertisement.

I am a long time fan of Firehouse magazine and firehouse.com. But I am contacting my Union officials to ask that the IAFF formally ask Firehouse to stop running these outrageous advertisements. If not I will never read or look at any Firehouse products again.

Whether you are paid or volunteer, union or not, the IAFF has earned many of the firefighting standards and laws that we now accept as routine. Our rights to safe working conditions and livable wages is under attack like never before throughout this country. We need to all stand together to protect our safety and our families. I would have thought Firehouse would have been an ally in this struggle. I am saddened and disappointed to see they care more about ad revenue than Firefighter rights.
                      I live and work in a right to work state. I have a house and cars and I don't starve to death. The citizens voted in collective bargaining for us. No one should be compelled to join a union and no employer should have to hire only union labor.
                      Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Also, get firefox and adblock and you won't see the advertisements, anymore.
                        Logic and proportion have fallen sloppy dead.

Comment

Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
                          I live and work in a right to work state. I have a house and cars and I don't starve to death. The citizens voted in collective bargaining for us. No one should be compelled to join a union and no employer should have to hire only union labor.
                          ...and I thought I was the only one on this board who works gainfully in a right-to-work state (no union contracts here!) and still manage to make a pretty damn good living in excellent working conditions....
                          Career Fire Captain
                          Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                            ...and I thought I was the only one on this board who works gainfully in a right-to-work state (no union contracts here!) and still manage to make a pretty damn good living in excellent working conditions....
                            Right to work state here with pay ranging from fair to very good, excellent vacation time mandated by law and excellent benefits.

Honestly, there would be very few reasons for union representation here.

Comment

Last edited by firefightinirish217; 03-14-2011, 07:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
                                No, you're far from the only one. I make a pretty good living, especially compared to what I could be doing. We're well under what some of the numbers I've been seeing for departments with union contracts (we start under $30K), but I'm able to live fine within my pay rate. No contract, no collective bargaining, no alot of things. But, we have four-man companies, good equipment, damn good retirement, and pay and benefits that's better than guy working the line in a factory. Plus, we're putting on another station within a year and another one is planned after that.,

If I was working for the money, I would have stayed with engineering instead of doing this firefighting thing.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X