Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Union Busting and Firehouse Magazine

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Union Busting and Firehouse Magazine

    I am shocked to see an advertisement on firehouse.com for the "national right to work committee". This group is a thinly veiled organization of big business intent on stripping away the rights of Union firefighters everywhere in America. At a time when the right of firefighters to collectively organzie to protect their safety and the well being of their families is under attack like never before, it is apalling that Firehouse would publish this advertisement.

    I am a long time fan of Firehouse magazine and firehouse.com. But I am contacting my Union officials to ask that the IAFF formally ask Firehouse to stop running these outrageous advertisements. If not I will never read or look at any Firehouse products again.

    Whether you are paid or volunteer, union or not, the IAFF has earned many of the firefighting standards and laws that we now accept as routine. Our rights to safe working conditions and livable wages is under attack like never before throughout this country. We need to all stand together to protect our safety and our families. I would have thought Firehouse would have been an ally in this struggle. I am saddened and disappointed to see they care more about ad revenue than Firefighter rights.
    Last edited by hooks1; 03-12-2011, 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling correction

  • #2
    Originally posted by hooks1 View Post
    I am shocked to see an advertisement on firehouse.com for the "national right to work committee". This group is a thinly veiled organization of big business intent on stripping away the rights of Union firefighters everywhere in America. At a time when the right of firefighters to collectively organzie to protect their safety and the well being of their families is under attack like never before, it is apalling that Firehouse would publish this advertisement.

    I am a long time fan of Firehouse magazine and firehouse.com. But I am contacting my Union officials to ask that the IAFF formally ask Firehouse to stop running these outrageous advertisements. If not I will never read or look at any Firehouse products again.

    Whether you are paid or volunteer, union or not, the IAFF has earned many of the firefighting standards and laws that we now accept as routine. Our rights to safe working conditions and livable wages is under attack like never before throughout this country. We need to all stand together to protect our safety and our families. I would have thought Firehouse would have been an ally in this struggle. I am saddened and disappointed to see they care more about ad revenue than Firefighter rights.
    It's all about the Benjamin$....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

    Comment


    • #3
      Whether I agree or not, Firehouse has a right to put anything in it's magazine it chooses to.

      The situation the fire service is going through, with all the downsizing and layoffs, IMO will only favor our profession in the future. At some point in the future the taxpayers, city or township hall and the insurance companies are going to start seeing first hand the results of reducing it's fire staffing. That typical 'room and contents' fire will now be another 'total loss' type fire and it's only going to happen more and more as time goes on. Most of us haven't dealt with confligrations, but more and more of these instances WILL happen and people will begin to take notice. Homeowners insurance will definately rise, politicians will be getting heat from their constituents to start fixing these problems, maybe even we'll finally get some headway into home sprinkler legislation.

      In the end I think most people will see the VALUE that has been taken for GRANTED all these decades and return our numbers close to something that may be effective anyway.

      And Hooks1 I am a union firefighter (IAFF), one of many that has been dealing with severe reductions in staffing. At some point the public will realize the huge mistake of reducing our numbers. I just believe it's going to take a few years of 'cumulating bad events' for enough of the public to start asking WTF?!! (I believe it's not an issue of $$ it's an issue of priorities)

      Comment


      • #4
        Well then they can just change the name to VolFirehouse.com.
        IAFF

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by snowball View Post
          Well then they can just change the name to VolFirehouse.com.
          That's why I subscribe to Fire Engineering. I visit Firehouse.com almost exclusively for the forums.

          I remember when Firehouse magazine used to be a leader in the world of fire service publications. Over the years, they've digressed to articles about "How many strobe lights and Federal Q2B's can you operate on one battery?" articles instead of the meat and potatoes of firefighting - strategies and tactics, leadership, EMS, and etc.

          If you want to read about Podunk, USA's 6 billion dollar tractor-drawn, heavy rescue, tandem-axled, jet-powered quint, read Firehouse.

          If you want to read about how to be a better firefighter and fire officer, read Fire Engineering.
          Last edited by dfwfirefighter; 03-12-2011, 03:55 PM.
          DFW



          "There's no such thing as a free lunch."

          Comment


          • #6
            If you want to read about how to be a better firefighter and fire officer, read Fire Engineering.
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

            Comment


            • #7
              I stopped subbing to FH Mag a few years ago. I too got tired of the lack of usefull information and the massive amount of junk adds. Not to mention seeing articles from a certain Western State, Hawaiian shirt wearing nit-wit...I think it was the one on use of colored markers that made me cancel. I come to the forums only for entertainment...and there is alot of it. I don't even read FE Mag anymore...a better publication IMO, but much of it doesn't apply to where I work. I stick to my Dept Pubs and WNYF. I need to know what to do as the 2d Due roof at a top floor brownstone...not all the silly hose load types for a volunteer dept with 2 people on a rig.
              IACOJ Member

              Comment


              • #8
                From a business standpoint, sure, they have to sell advertising space and bring in revenue. However given the magnitude of recent events and the current economic conditions you would think firehouse would be more sensitive to this situation. +1 on fire engineering.
                Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

                Comment


                • #9
                  Not taking any sides, but it will be interesting to see what happens and is said when Fire Engineering runs the same ad....

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JT_Fire_2000 View Post
                    However given the magnitude of recent events and the current economic conditions you would think firehouse would be more sensitive to this situation.
                    I agree. Why would you want to upset your target audience, and potentially face a boycott of your other paying advertisers, only to then face the obvious repercussions???

                    Why doesn't firehouse.com allow pornographic film makers to advertise on here????
                    "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Hi everyone,

                      The message below is from my co-worker.

                      Peter Matthews
                      Editor-in-Chief
                      Firehouse.com

                      Folks,

                      I'd like to offer an explanation. There are several ad slots near the bottom of Firehouse.com in which we run Google, and other network ads. Firehouse.com does not control what appears in these slots, and was only made aware of these particular ads when notified by several of our readers.

                      While I cannot promise that we would never take on advertising that might offend a portion of our audience, we did not, in this case, knowingly do so. We are currently working to identify these ads, and have them blocked from appearing on Firehouse.com. We appreciate everyone's understanding.

                      Sincerely,
                      Mike Natchipolsky
                      Publisher - Firehouse.com

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by FHEditor View Post
                        Hi everyone,

                        The message below is from my co-worker.

                        Peter Matthews
                        Editor-in-Chief
                        Firehouse.com

                        Folks,

                        I'd like to offer an explanation. There are several ad slots near the bottom of Firehouse.com in which we run Google, and other network ads. Firehouse.com does not control what appears in these slots, and was only made aware of these particular ads when notified by several of our readers.

                        While I cannot promise that we would never take on advertising that might offend a portion of our audience, we did not, in this case, knowingly do so. We are currently working to identify these ads, and have them blocked from appearing on Firehouse.com. We appreciate everyone's understanding.

                        Sincerely,
                        Mike Natchipolsky
                        Publisher - Firehouse.com
                        Really? You don't control what is in an ad space on YOUR website? Come on really? So if google started running porn ads or adult dating services ads you would have no control over that?

                        You are expecting us to believe that you are allowing Google and others to run ads on FH.com with no pre-screening or approval by your web team. If that is true I am absolutely flabergasted at your naivety.
                        Crazy, but that's how it goes
                        Millions of people living as foes
                        Maybe it's not too late
                        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                          Really? You don't control what is in an ad space on YOUR website? Come on really? So if google started running porn ads or adult dating services ads you would have no control over that?
                          Often times, websites with advertising space on them will use filters to show what CAN NOT be shown on the site, as opposed to what CAN be shown.
                          Career Fire Captain
                          Volunteer Chief Officer


                          Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                            Really? You don't control what is in an ad space on YOUR website? Come on really? So if google started running porn ads or adult dating services ads you would have no control over that?
                            I tend to put it in the "whodathunk" and "it sounded like a good idea at the time."

                            Credit FH for dealing with it.
                            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

                            Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Originally posted by tree68 View Post
                              I tend to put it in the "whodathunk" and "it sounded like a good idea at the time."

                              Credit FH for dealing with it.
                              On a f-ing Saturday of all things.
                              IAFF

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X