X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• donethat
    replied
    Retired Rigs

I saw an retired Boston Ford tilt cab pumper used to pump the irrigation system at a golf course up in Maine.

Leave a comment:

• dragonfyre
    replied
    Originally posted by Leroy140 View Post
    Not to nit pick, but being an apparatus buff......

Although that picture is a LaFrance, it is not an Aero-Chief. The aerial device is a Snorkel brand. An Aero-Chief's top section nested inside the botton section, which was U-shaped, for a lower travel height. Also, the jacks are scissor type, wheras the ALF had swing-down type jacks. One other difference, the bucket leveling system on the Snorkel is a parallelogram/mechanical type, and the ALF was a slave cylinder set up.
    Picky Picky Picky.

Company near me had one like this and it said Aero-Chief on it. Sorry to miss the little nuances.

Leave a comment:

• Leroy140
    replied
    Not to nit pick, but being an apparatus buff......

Although that picture is a LaFrance, it is not an Aero-Chief. The aerial device is a Snorkel brand. An Aero-Chief's top section nested inside the bottom section, which was U-shaped, for a lower travel height. Also, the jacks are scissor type, wheras the ALF had swing-down type jacks. One other difference, the bucket leveling system on the Snorkel is a parallelogram/mechanical type, and the ALF was a slave cylinder set up.
    Last edited by Leroy140; 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM.

Leave a comment:

• JT_Fire_2000
    replied
    We have actually donated all of ours to a small town in Mexico over the last 15 years. They are front line there.

Leave a comment:

• FIREMECH1
    replied
    A couple years ago a company bought 3 of our old pumpers. Used them for washing bridges and under the overpasses.

FM1

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    I don't know if I agree that it is sad. Better to be used than left to rot in some farm field or salvage yard.

Leave a comment:

• dragonfyre
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    We've got one around here with a garbage compactor on the back.
    That's really sad.

Any pictures out there?

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    I have seen a picture of a CF Mack with the body lifted, and a dump body in it's place.......
    We've got one around here with a garbage compactor on the back.

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    I've seen more than a few old engines used for agriculture or at gravel pits for their pumping abilities.

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    I have seen a picture of a CF Mack with the body lifted, and a dump body in it's place.....

I used to see an old GMC/????? body being used by a landscaper as a hydro-seeder......

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    One of our old engines spent a year washing off equipment in a gravel pit. When they couldn't get it to pump after sitting outside all winter, they sold it to a well drilling outfit that took the fire body off it and installed a well driller. Not sure if it's still being used as such.

Leave a comment:

• mcwops
    replied
    I have seen aerials used often by commercial sign companies for a bucket lift. I also know of an old wildfire truck being used to water flowers around the city.

Leave a comment:

• dragonfyre
    started a topic New uses for old trucks

New uses for old trucks

I saw this 60's ALF Aero-Chief on the way to work this morning. Just wondering how other retired trucks have been used. (Other than parade pieces)
    Attached Files

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X