New uses for old trucks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New uses for old trucks

I saw this 60's ALF Aero-Chief on the way to work this morning. Just wondering how other retired trucks have been used. (Other than parade pieces)
    Attached Files
    Steve Dragon
    FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified
    Volunteers are never "off duty".
    http://www.bufd7.org

I have seen aerials used often by commercial sign companies for a bucket lift. I also know of an old wildfire truck being used to water flowers around the city.

Comment

One of our old engines spent a year washing off equipment in a gravel pit. When they couldn't get it to pump after sitting outside all winter, they sold it to a well drilling outfit that took the fire body off it and installed a well driller. Not sure if it's still being used as such.
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

I have seen a picture of a CF Mack with the body lifted, and a dump body in it's place.....

I used to see an old GMC/????? body being used by a landscaper as a hydro-seeder......
        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

I've seen more than a few old engines used for agriculture or at gravel pits for their pumping abilities.

Comment

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
            I have seen a picture of a CF Mack with the body lifted, and a dump body in it's place.......
            We've got one around here with a garbage compactor on the back.
            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
              We've got one around here with a garbage compactor on the back.
              That's really sad.

Any pictures out there?
              Steve Dragon
              FFII, Fire Instructor II, Fire Officer I, Fire Appartus Driver Operator Certified

Comment

I don't know if I agree that it is sad. Better to be used than left to rot in some farm field or salvage yard.
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

A couple years ago a company bought 3 of our old pumpers. Used them for washing bridges and under the overpasses.

FM1
                  I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                  "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

We have actually donated all of ours to a small town in Mexico over the last 15 years. They are front line there.
                    Fire Service Interview questions - The blog that has REAL interview questions for firefighters, Engineers, Lieutenants, and Captains !

Comment

Not to nit pick, but being an apparatus buff......

Although that picture is a LaFrance, it is not an Aero-Chief. The aerial device is a Snorkel brand. An Aero-Chief's top section nested inside the bottom section, which was U-shaped, for a lower travel height. Also, the jacks are scissor type, wheras the ALF had swing-down type jacks. One other difference, the bucket leveling system on the Snorkel is a parallelogram/mechanical type, and the ALF was a slave cylinder set up.
                      Last edited by Leroy140; 03-13-2011, 06:21 PM.
                      Leroy140 Fairfield, CT Local 1426

Comment

Originally posted by Leroy140 View Post
                        Not to nit pick, but being an apparatus buff......

Although that picture is a LaFrance, it is not an Aero-Chief. The aerial device is a Snorkel brand. An Aero-Chief's top section nested inside the botton section, which was U-shaped, for a lower travel height. Also, the jacks are scissor type, wheras the ALF had swing-down type jacks. One other difference, the bucket leveling system on the Snorkel is a parallelogram/mechanical type, and the ALF was a slave cylinder set up.
                        Picky Picky Picky.

Company near me had one like this and it said Aero-Chief on it. Sorry to miss the little nuances.
                        Steve Dragon

Comment

Retired Rigs

I saw an retired Boston Ford tilt cab pumper used to pump the irrigation system at a golf course up in Maine.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X