Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Radio Professionalism

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Radio Professionalism

    To officers of the fire department:

    What would be your punishment for a member who let loose a curse word (intentional or not) on a public radio channel vs. a private one?
    Max Paine
    Network Admin | Firefighter
    Upper Macungie Township Emergency Services Bldg.
    Allentown, PA
    [email protected]
    www.umtfire56.org

  • #2
    1) All radio channels are public.
    2) Unintentional? Accidents happen. Calm talking-to -- Don't let it happen again.
    3) Intentional? Stern talking to with reprimand -- Damn sure don't let it happen again.
    "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
    sigpic
    The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
      1) All radio channels are public.
      2) Unintentional? Accidents happen. Calm talking-to -- Don't let it happen again.
      3) Intentional? Stern talking to with reprimand -- Damn sure don't let it happen again.
      Ditto.....

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
        1) All radio channels are public.
        2) Unintentional? Accidents happen. Calm talking-to -- Don't let it happen again.
        3) Intentional? Stern talking to with reprimand -- Damn sure don't let it happen again.
        Also what Deputy Marshal and Paso said.

        Just hope the FCC didn't get wind of it and come down hard on the department and or city/county who holds the license for that system!!
        Stay Safe and Well Out There....

        Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by DeputyMarshal View Post
          1) All radio channels are public.
          2) Unintentional? Accidents happen. Calm talking-to -- Don't let it happen again.
          3) Intentional? Stern talking to with reprimand -- Damn sure don't let it happen again.
          This with the caveat that previous disclipline would affect the level of corrective action taken.
          I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

          "The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

          "When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

          Comment


          • #6
            There is a nameless all career city department that's typical radio traffic was;

            "Interior to Pump; Charge the ****ing line!"

            "Command to Truck 1; Vent the ****ing roof."

            That was a few years ago, but damn fun to listen to.

            We've had our dispatch call us on the cell phone about an open mic. Staged for a suicide attempt, PD officers were "tactically" moving up to the house, we were giving the play-by-play on their "tactical prowess" or lack there of to the whole city.

            Look, if a 4-letter word slips out on the radio, and no one is harmed by it (little kid hears it, snaps and starts tearing the heads off bunnies), then a verbal counseling is all you need. If it is repeat offense, then a corrective action plan should be initiated to curtail the habit.
            ~Drew
            Firefighter/EMT/Technical Rescue
            USAR TF Rescue Specialist

            Comment


            • #7
              Max

              What did they do to you ?????
              http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

              Comment


              • #8
                Yep - s*** happens, and sometimes the radio is keyed when it does.

                One time event? The offender is probably remorseful. A gentle nudge and maybe even a little humor.

                Regular event? Stern talking-to moving on to progressive discipline.

                Unless you're running an Open Sky system with encryption (and then only because there are no scanners out there that will receive OS yet), somebody (other than the folks on the system in question) can hear you.

                In other words, what everybody else said, too.
                Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

                Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by maxwellpaine View Post
                  To officers of the fire department:

                  What would be your punishment for a member who let loose a curse word (intentional or not) on a public radio channel vs. a private one?
                  Happened while I was in recruit class to a senior man. He had gone interior to make an attack with a dry line. Engineer had trouble with water and source was lost after tank water. Led to a few tense moments of water-lessness. At the exact moment the Lt. Keyed up to inquire more into the water issue, the senior man said...and I qoute "tell em' to hurry with the fuc*ing water." As I have said before, our chief is a company man so even though his stuckup Lt. tried to write it up, the chief stomped it out quick. I was in the room and he said he would deal with anyone that *itched about it, because "if they had to go where we go, they cuss like sailors too."

                  Thought you might enjoy that. Obviously, if you are talking about regular communications it probably isn't as cut and dry. Clearly, my example has some extenuating circumstances. Still, slip ups happen and we are firemen. We are gonna cuss. I don't know how huge of an ordeal it is, IMHO.
                  "It's a living thing brian..."

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by FiremanLyman View Post
                    There is a nameless all career city department that's typical radio traffic was;

                    "Interior to Pump; Charge the ****ing line!"

                    "Command to Truck 1; Vent the ****ing roof."

                    That was a few years ago, but damn fun to listen to.

                    We've had our dispatch call us on the cell phone about an open mic. Staged for a suicide attempt, PD officers were "tactically" moving up to the house, we were giving the play-by-play on their "tactical prowess" or lack there of to the whole city.

                    Look, if a 4-letter word slips out on the radio, and no one is harmed by it (little kid hears it, snaps and starts tearing the heads off bunnies), then a verbal counseling is all you need. If it is repeat offense, then a corrective action plan should be initiated to curtail the habit.
                    Since it takes me so long to type I was unaware you got this out before me.....but...DITTO!
                    "It's a living thing brian..."

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
                      Ditto.....
                      ditto...........
                      IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                      Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                      ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                      RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                      LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                      I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                      "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                      http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Sometimes it just takes a different attack. Last night I heard - Do you want me to pick up E2 on the way? Response from Chief, "it would just warm the cockles of my heart if you did".

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          You should hear them fly around here every time a portable gets stolen.
                          IAFF

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Open Mic's, they happen. Which is why all "naughty" conversations must now be conducted elsewhere of the Office, where the base radios are located

                            Also, as a precaution, I leave my pager on the open channel when working around active radios.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I believe My favorite of all time was as follows

                              "Engine 8 is on scene we have heavy smoke and F... OH SH*T That B*tch just hit Me in the a**!!"

                              I was not on the rig at the time but I was in the Chiefs office talking about something that escapes me right now.. I just know that I wore coffee when the Chief spat it out and simultaneously was reaching for the phone.
                              Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

                              Comment

                              300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                              Collapse

                              Upper 300x250

                              Collapse

                              Taboola

                              Collapse

                              Leader

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X