Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• BKDRAFT
    replied
    Wasn't the standard that's adopted by OSHA for facial hair created where low pressure demand breathers were the norm? Most everyone has positive pressure breathers and I think it is something that might be a bit outdated?

Leave a comment:

• firefightinirish217
    replied
    The one thing I hated about Dalton's stache policy was that they adopted a Marine Corps mentality about it. They would place a pencil between your lips, if the stache dropped past the top of the pencil at all you had to trim it. Those staches are soooooo gay. I figure if it doesn't interfere with the facepiece seal, who cares how far it droops past your upper lip.

Leave a comment:

• Deluge059
    replied
    Originally posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post
    I most certainly am a fireman in Washington DC. I'm also at Rescue 2, just like my forum name states. I live, like several DC firemen, in WV. 76 miles is not that long of a commute.
    A goatee? Man! You must have been ugly!

(P.S. Thanks for letting me "ride" with you guys)

Leave a comment:

• mic12345
    replied
    Originally posted by ****brick3633 View Post
    We can have mustache sideburns, soulpatch, just as long as the hair doesnt interfere with mask seal..mustaches are not to exceed 1/2" below the corners of the mouth and sideburns to stop at the bottom of the ear lobe

Where do you get this standard? NOTHING in OSHA or NFPA mentions mustaches specifically or measurments of hair. Both use language that says something like "cannot have facial hair that impedes the seal of the mask".

Leave a comment:

• DCFDRescue2
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
    Capt OT, he aint in DC, he is in Falling Water WV.
    I most certainly am a fireman in Washington DC. I'm also at Rescue 2, just like my forum name states. I live, like several DC firemen, in WV. 76 miles is not that long of a commute.

Leave a comment:

• sapper937
    replied
    screw it im going with the back in the day stuff just grow a fatty beard and dip it in water and shove the damn thing in your mouth before you go in.....

lol

Leave a comment:

• Brick3633
    replied
    We can have mustache sideburns, soulpatch, just as long as the hair doesnt interfere with mask seal..mustaches are not to exceed 1/2" below the corners of the mouth and sideburns to stop at the bottom of the ear lobe

Leave a comment:

• KanFireman
    replied
    There is always the option of doing strictly wildlands. You can find full-time employment on a 'shot crew or as a smokejumper. There aren't any regulations concerning facial hair, and I've seen some hotshots rocking some wicked beards. Also you get to see some awesome fire activity, like firewhirls the size of tornadoes and just as powerful.

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    Capt OT, he aint in DC, he is in Falling Water WV.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    capt387, I think the brother from DCFD and the other members really don't give a rats butt about what osha has to say. They are firemen and do more work in a day that most others do in a month.

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    No facial hair at the SCBA facepiece seal per OSHA requirements and manufacturers' instructions. All else is commentary.

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    I'll give you that.

On the other hand, it wasn't me that passed them, as such. I just ran the machine. Apparently their fit met the specs.
    I sold scba, serviced and did fit testing for "several" years and there is numerous ways to pass a test. You are correct they might have actually got a fit factor over 500 but it plainly states in the standard there is to be none visible in the area that the mask will be. The test administrator just exposed the department to the liability according to the standard

Leave a comment:

• tree68
    replied
    Originally posted by Capt387 View Post
    ahhhh Dude, might spend a little time and read the standard. As for the last line...... I want to aggravate you about it but I will lllleeeeaaavvvvveeeee it aaaallloonnnnneeeeeee as it speaks for itself
    I'll give you that.

On the other hand, it wasn't me that passed them, as such. I just ran the machine. Apparently their fit met the specs.

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    I just finished a round of fit testing here for several departments (including my own). Everybody passed, even a couple with a suspect amount of facial hair. Well, not everybody - one fellow who almost certainly won't be wearing SCBA did the test just for the heck of it and didn't pass. I suspect his problem was using the wrong size mask - he had no facial hair.

There were no full beards - only a goatee or two and several with a fair bit of "ugly stubble."

An area where facial hair can be a problem is oxygen enriched atmospheres/breathing apparatus. The hair will absorb the oxygen, rendering it just that much more flammable.
    ahhhh Dude, might spend a little time and read the standard. As for the last line...... I want to aggrivate you about it but I will lllleeeeaaavvvvveeeee it aaaallloonnnnneeeeeee as it speaks for itself

Leave a comment:

• Capt387
    replied
    Originally posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post
    I think OSHA makes a distinction between a respirator and SCBA. The SCBA section doesn't mention anything about facial hair, it's only in the respirator section.

I had a pretty full goatee for a number of years and never had a problem with either a fit test or a fire.
    OSHA only allows for two types of fit testing, no matter what the respirator

Appendix A to ยง 1910.134: Fit Testing Procedures (Mandatory)

Part I. OSHA-Accepted Fit Test Protocols

A. Fit Testing Procedures -- General Requirements

The employer shall conduct fit testing using the following procedures. The requirements in this appendix apply to all OSHA-accepted fit test methods, both QLFT and QNFT.

9. The test shall not be conducted if there is any hair growth between the skin and the facepiece sealing surface, such as stubble beard growth, beard, mustache or sideburns which cross the respirator sealing surface. Any type of apparel which interferes with a satisfactory fit shall be altered or removed.

under the definition section of 1910.134

Self-contained breathing apparatus (SCBA) means an atmosphere-supplying respirator for which the breathing air source is designed to be carried by the user.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X