X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ThNozzleman
    replied
    Originally posted by ImBeaming View Post
    Quoted for truth! Ive read everyones posts and Im gonna have to agree. I was posting up my ***... teehee.
    Did you just write "teehee??"

Leave a comment:

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Quoted for truth! Ive read everyones posts and Im gonna have to agree. I was posting up my ***... teehee.
    You are what you post from....

Leave a comment:

• ImBeaming
    replied
    Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
    ITT:

Old men whine about young men whining.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    Originally posted by voyager9 View Post
    And I walked to work BOTH WAYS, with a hot potato in my pocket to keep warm.
    Damn kids.. get off my lawn!

As for the OP: Find somewhere to volunteer, stay in school and get a bachelors, and take every FF hiring exam you can to get on the list. Have a plan-B/C since this takes a very long time.

Or join the military as others have mentioned.. always a good option.

Either way, you control your destiny. Stop whining and do something.
    A Hot Potato? Damn lucky to have a hot rock or two to carry in my pockets!

Leave a comment:

• Ctuttle3d
    replied
    nobody here is bashing you or "hatin" you its all "constructive crititism" from people who were your age at one time..... so take it don't cry about it and go build yourself a life buck.....

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Okay, I mustve mislead you all on my situation. First of all, that class is pointless in the sense that it can increase my chances of being a full time fire fighter. If it is pointless why does the college offer it? From what I hear, starting out as a volunteer is the best bet to go and from there you go to become a paid on call etc etc. Depending on where you apply it may be helpful and then again it may not mean a thing. That route seems more cheaper and easier dont you think? AH, there it is the key word and what is wrong with so much of the population today...EASIER. I understand you completely now. No book because you can go online and ask people to do your homework for you because it is EASIER. Become a volunteer because it is EASIER. Also, Im not throwing away my life or my dream to become a firefighter... it's just in my current status I cant do anything but wait. Why? Serioulsy, I would like to know why you have to wait. My dad's advices are good, he is telling me to first get a bachelors degree as a second option since it takes time to take a career as a firefighter and have a steady job while Im in the list. I didnt know that. I dont have many connections to other fire fighters. So being young and stupid, I thought I could handle this on my own. I was wrong so now Im following my dads advice. Get it? Got it? Good. I agree with getting your bachelor's degree. The rest is open to opinion. I have friends that got their first career firefighting job at 19 and I know others with every certification you can imagine and a college degree that NEVER got hired.

Done with my rant, I dont want your sympathy like someone posted because I dont even know you guys. I was only asking for some questions and I get bashed on. Only reason why Im trying to defend myself is to atleast explain myself to the ones that helped. You got bashed because your OBVIOUS lack of dedication to your class speaks volumes about your attitude, motivation, and desire. You make excuse, after excuse, after excuse, to guys who have decades of fire experience and you expect us to buy your BS. Um, sorry no. If you want this you will make it happen.
    Honestly, I advise people that want a firefighting job to get their certs, get their paramedic license, and if they don't get hired, go get a college degree.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-04-2011, 12:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• tajm611
    replied
    ITT:

Old men whine about young men whining.

Leave a comment:

• voyager9
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    When I was 19, I had been in the Army for about two years after graduating from high school, getting my service behind me and also getting my life right! Also I getting ready to be married later on during that time of my life.
    And I walked to work BOTH WAYS, with a hot potato in my pocket to keep warm.
    Damn kids.. get off my lawn!

As for the OP: Find somewhere to volunteer, stay in school and get a bachelors, and take every FF hiring exam you can to get on the list. Have a plan-B/C since this takes a very long time.

Or join the military as others have mentioned.. always a good option.

Either way, you control your destiny. Stop whining and do something.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Okay so, let me tell a little about myself before I say anything. Im currently taking a fire science introduction class where I thought I would need to further my goal of becoming a fire fighter. But I was wrong. The class was pointless to take and I wasted money on it. If you believe it is a waste of time it WILL be A WASTE OF TIME. If you go into it with an open mind you may actually learn something. But given your slacker, I haven't gotten a book 5 weeks into the class, attitude I doubt it. Either commit to the class or drop, because frankly otherwise you are wasting everyone's time by being there. I understand that I might as well use this class as an additional booster to give me some knowledge of firefighting but I just found out Im going to have to wait until four years from now to even start looking for a job as a firefighter/volunteer/paid on call. BS, . I became a volunteer at 18 and many FDs have cadet or junior programs that let you start younger than that. Many career FDs accpet applications from 18 and 19 year olds. So this is just another excuse from you. Wheres my motivation right now... no where. My dads a fire fighter and instead of motivating me, he's criticizing how bad the career path to become a firefighter is right now than a long time ago. Well, the nut doesn't fall too far from the tree does it? You both sound like whiner, crybabies. If YOU want to be a firefighter then do what it takes to be one. If you don't have the motivation, attitude or guts to push forward then remember McDonald's is ALWAYS hiring.

Cliffs:
    Thought I needed to take class to further my plan to become a firefighter
    Found out I dont, I just need to take an EMT class/start low (volunteer/paid on call) Anyone that tells you education is bad is too stupid to take advice from.
    Wasted money on a class Im not even enjoying/teacher isnt teach well either Yep, maybe some remedial English classes would be good for you. DROP the class, get out and stop being a drag on the rest of the class.
    Dad's "un-motivating" me to become one and Im getting doubts Seriously, if YOU want to be a firefighter then do what it takes to be one.
    I cant do anything when Im forced to go to a university where I cant pursue into anything related to fire fighting FORCED? At gunpint? Black mailed into it? Forced how? You say you are 19, if that is true YOU ARE AN ADULT. If you don't like the situation at home, get a job, get an apartment, move out and be your own man...if you have the guts. By the way, very few people have ever been harmed getting a college degree. You may be an exception.

So for those of you bashing on me, dont be hatin. Hating? Nope, just tired to death of whiny punk kids complaining about stupid things on here. Grow up. That is the simple answer. Stop blaming everyone else for YOUR situation.

Im freaking 19 years old and I still feel undecided on what I want to do in life. Then go to college, take some genral ed courses that could be used in most any degree you decide to pursue and give yourself some time.
    You really should type your post, leave them for an hour, come back and reread it before you hit submit. My guess is you probably wouldn't post half the time.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-04-2011, 12:26 PM.

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
    I guess myself coming up under a different times than the young folks are now and having more responsibility to myself, parents and to this country, is the big difference now days.
    I weep for the future.

Leave a comment:

• CaptOldTimer
    replied
    First of all, if you are in a class, you should have a text book for that class. Who's fault is this? Yours or whoever is conducting the class?

All the basic classes I have seen have had the current text book or manual supplied. A lot of folks bought their own, so they could make it up or highlight certain areas that requires additional research of stands out for quick reference. All advance firefighter classes text books are provided.

You say you are only 19! Wow Wee. Stand up man on you on two feet and make something out of yourself and stop crying the blues.

When I was 19, I had been in the Army for about two years after graduating from high school, getting my service behind me and also getting my life right! Also I getting ready to be married later on during that time of my life.

I guess myself coming up under a different times than the young folks are now and having more responsibility to myself, parents and to this country, is the big difference now days.

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Okay, I mustve mislead you all on my situation. You haven't mislead anyone. What you have done, however, is make a lame attempt to backpedal and cover up for your equally lame attempt at making excuses for your own lazyness.First of all, that class is pointless in the sense that it can increase my chances of being a full time fire fighter. This sentence makes no sense. From what I hear, starting out as a volunteer is the best bet to go and from there you go to become a paid on call etc etc. From what you hear. From what you hear. From what I hear there may or may not be life on Mars. Once again, there ARE other Fire Departments out there in the world that require NO, I repeat NO previous experience, training or college credits of any kind. That route seems more cheaper and easier dont you think? YOUR TRANSLATION: EASIER Also, Im not throwing away my life or my dream to become a firefighter... it's just in my current status I cant do anything but wait. My dad's advices are good, he is telling me to first get a bachelors degree as a second option since it takes time to take a career as a firefighter and have a steady job while Im in the list. I didnt know that. I dont have many connections to other fire fighters. So being young and stupid,Good. The first step to recovery is admitting you have a problem I thought I could handle this on my own. I was wrong so now Im following my dads advice. Get it? Got it? Good. From what I hear of your daddy so far and the advice he has given you, you might consider other alternative sources of information and advice.

Done with my rant, I dont want your sympathy like someone posted because I dont even know you guys. I was only asking for some questions and I get bashed on. You got bashed on because you came on here, probably 2 or 3 nights before a homework assignment was due, looking for the answers to be handed to you, and then openly admitted you have had 5 weeks to obtain the necessary text. Only reason why Im trying to defend myself is to atleast explain myself to the ones that helped.
    Son, you have what we call a "Cranial-Rectal Inversion." Let me translate: Your head is up your azz.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    And reading your reply again --"easier" is not always better. Are you going to be the guy on the fire ground that always takes the easier route? A little easier to not tie off the lanyard , a lot easier to not pull that chunk of ceiling that hard to get to --- etc.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Again --- please tell me why you couldnt figure out the answer for question 3 for your self ? The purpose of a class is to actually learn something --- not memorize the answers and repeat them like a parrot. And in my experence , every class I have taken , I have learned something new. No class is "beneath you"

Leave a comment:

• ImBeaming
    replied
    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
    Let's look at this from another perspective. You don't go from First responder to neurosurgeon in one class. There IS a reason there are introductory classes so you can get the basic concepts and a feel for the industry BEFORE you commit a bunch of time. Apparently you feel this is beneath you. Firefighting is a series of steps and classes from taking you from knowing NOTHING to an experienced member of a Team. There ARE no shortcuts to doing it properly. Just that simple,T.C.
    Okay, I mustve mislead you all on my situation. First of all, that class is pointless in the sense that it can increase my chances of being a full time fire fighter. From what I hear, starting out as a volunteer is the best bet to go and from there you go to become a paid on call etc etc. That route seems more cheaper and easier dont you think? Also, Im not throwing away my life or my dream to become a firefighter... it's just in my current status I cant do anything but wait. My dad's advices are good, he is telling me to first get a bachelors degree as a second option since it takes time to take a career as a firefighter and have a steady job while Im in the list. I didnt know that. I dont have many connections to other fire fighters. So being young and stupid, I thought I could handle this on my own. I was wrong so now Im following my dads advice. Get it? Got it? Good.

Done with my rant, I dont want your sympathy like someone posted because I dont even know you guys. I was only asking for some questions and I get bashed on. Only reason why Im trying to defend myself is to atleast explain myself to the ones that helped.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X