No announcement yet.

Questions!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I bet you wouldn't go to a structure fire without your SCBA......... If you want to be a firefighter get a book....... If you don't want to get a book drop out and become a dancer or something that being unprepared won't kill people

Comment

If you need a book to answer question #3 - you have no common sense.
      ?

Comment

I'm going to throw out a question.

This isn't an issue with my current department, but was with my previous.

You have a structure, let's say a large store, where the front entrance is actually on the side of the structure. The side facing the road is solid brick with no entrances.

Does your department always define the side facing the road as the A side, even though it may not be the entrance side, or would you define it as they entrance side though it's not the side facing the road?
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by ImBeaming View Post
          Hey guys, I know this looks bad but I really need to finish my homework for my fire science intro class and I dont have the book. If you knowledgeable firefighters can lend a hand to someone who desperately needs help.. then thanks.

First question: The rear of a building is called "Division ____ "
          Second: What is the 2 in 2 out rule? I've heard its 2 go in and 2 are ready by the door. Corrrect me if Im wrong.
          Third: Why "accountability" on the fireground is important.
          Practice this phrase: "Would you like fries with that?"

If you can't take this seriously you should really be looking at a different career. Grow a pair.

In the mean time, should you get on a department regardless of your slacker attitude, do not be surprised when people don't really want to be on the same hoseline as you.

Comment

We use the main entrance side as the alpha side.

Comment

Originally posted by rm1524 View Post
              We use the main entrance side as the alpha side.
              Same with us, especially for houses on corners, the one with the most noticeable/clear "main" entrance is A.

We have actually spray painted "A" in a big orange letter on the Alpha side if it's overly confusing, haha.

Comment

Okay so, let me tell a little about myself before I say anything. Im currently taking a fire science introduction class where I thought I would need to further my goal of becoming a fire fighter. But I was wrong. The class was pointless to take and I wasted money on it. I understand that I might as well use this class as an additional booster to give me some knowledge of firefighting but I just found out Im going to have to wait until four years from now to even start looking for a job as a firefighter/volunteer/paid on call. Wheres my motivation right now... no where. My dads a fire fighter and instead of motivating me, he's criticizing how bad the career path to become a firefighter is right now than a long time ago.

Cliffs:
                Thought I needed to take class to further my plan to become a firefighter
                Found out I dont, I just need to take an EMT class/start low (volunteer/paid on call)
                Wasted money on a class Im not even enjoying/teacher isnt teach well either
                Dad's "un-motivating" me to become one and Im getting doubts
                I cant do anything when Im forced to go to a university where I cant pursue into anything related to fire fighting

So for those of you bashing on me, dont be hatin.
                Im freaking 19 years old and I still feel undecided on what I want to do in life.

Comment

Okay so, let me tell a little about myself before I say anything. Im currently taking a fire science introduction class where I thought I would need to further my goal of becoming a fire fighter. But I was wrong. The class was pointless to take and I wasted money on it. I understand that I might as well use this class as an additional booster to give me some knowledge of firefighting but I just found out Im going to have to wait until four years from now to even start looking for a job as a firefighter/volunteer/paid on call. Wheres my motivation right now... no where. My dads a fire fighter and instead of motivating me, he's criticizing how bad the career path to become a firefighter is right now than a long time ago.

Cliffs:
                  Found out I dont, I just need to take an EMT class/start low (volunteer/paid on call)
                  I cant do anything when Im forced to go to a university where I cant pursue into anything related to fire fighting

Im freaking 19 years old and I still feel undecided on what I want to do in life.
                  Wah wah freakin' wah..... here are some Hello Kitty tissues to wipe your nose and tears with....
                  Attached Files
                  ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                  Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

PS : if you are looking for sympathy... it's in the dictionary between $#!t and syphilis...
                    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Here is my advice, and only because I was 19 and I went to college for one year with that same attitude... So I mean this in the most honest and nicest way I can without sugar coating my size 11 boot and putting it ___

Your going to really regret not changing your attitude. If you have a chance at all to get a bachelors degree in anything, you have to do it. Look at every other thread on this site about people loosing their job or department cuts, and you have to see that life throws a whole lot of curve balls. Having that document in your hand is huge.

I dropped out of college after 1 year and even skipped half my finals, I thought I had no reason to go since I was in pursuit of a career that after I got enrolled I found out there was less positions then people in my class. (state game warden).
                      10 years later I found my self laid off, a mortgage, and best I could do was work 2 full time jobs in retail stores and a part time job at subway.

After selling the house for less then I owed to prevent my self from going bankrupt I went back to college and now I have a degree, office job, married, and volly firefighter.

I lost 10 years of my life because of attitude about school, if I had just buckled down and said if I didn't even get hired in my intended career field I could have got hired in a better job then working in a landfill and retail stores.

Not trying to beat you down, just trying to tell you it is all about attitude and getting what you started done no matter what your career is.

Comment

Okay so, let me tell a little about myself before I say anything. Im currently taking a fire science introduction class where I thought I would need to further my goal of becoming a fire fighter. Many Fire Departments require no previous experience or training, including college credits. But I was wrong. The class was pointless to take and I wasted money on it. Education is wasted money?? Since when?? I understand that I might as well use this class as an additional booster to give me some knowledge of firefighting but I just found out Im going to have to wait until four years from now to even start looking for a job as a firefighter/volunteer/paid on call. Who says that??? Many Departments around here only require you to be 18 to apply for the Civil Service Exam. Wheres my motivation right now... no where. My dads a fire fighter and instead of motivating me, he's criticizing how bad the career path to become a firefighter is right now than a long time ago. So you are both whiny crybabies?? Tell your old man times have changed and to get over it.

Cliffs:

So for those of you bashing on me, dont be hatin. I dont hate you, I never met you. I do think you need to take off your training panties and grow up though.
                        Sounds like you could benefit from 4 years in any branch of the US Military. Would be a win-win- Gets you life experience, training, discipline, and bonus points for many firefighter civil service exams.
                        "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

The best way to decide if this is what you want to do is find a volunteer fire department near by or see if you can do some ride along's with your dad. Get an idea of what it is about and if you think you might like it. I am sorry but some may disagree but I do not think a degree or even 1 class in fire science is a waste. The more you know about fire and the service the better prepared and safer you are in the field. EMT is important to get on a department and help people but for the most part know your BSI and you will not being in harms way, now in firefighting if you don't know a much larger base then you may be harming you, your partner, anyone else around on scene. I know that is generalizing it but you get the point. Knowledge is power. Sound like my dad now.

Comment

Cliffs:

Let's look at this from another perspective. You don't go from First responder to neurosurgeon in one class. There IS a reason there are introductory classes so you can get the basic concepts and a feel for the industry BEFORE you commit a bunch of time. Apparently you feel this is beneath you. Firefighting is a series of steps and classes from taking you from knowing NOTHING to an experienced member of a Team. There ARE no shortcuts to doing it properly. Just that simple,T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
                              I'm going to throw out a question.

This isn't an issue with my current department, but was with my previous.

You have a structure, let's say a large store, where the front entrance is actually on the side of the structure. The side facing the road is solid brick with no entrances.

Does your department always define the side facing the road as the A side, even though it may not be the entrance side, or would you define it as they entrance side though it's not the side facing the road?
                              I see this as a departmental definition. I see the advanatages to both ideas.

For my department - we use the street side as A or in the case of main/side street - the larger street side as A.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                                Let's look at this from another perspective. You don't go from First responder to neurosurgeon in one class. There IS a reason there are introductory classes so you can get the basic concepts and a feel for the industry BEFORE you commit a bunch of time. Apparently you feel this is beneath you. Firefighting is a series of steps and classes from taking you from knowing NOTHING to an experienced member of a Team. There ARE no shortcuts to doing it properly. Just that simple,T.C.
                                Okay, I mustve mislead you all on my situation. First of all, that class is pointless in the sense that it can increase my chances of being a full time fire fighter. From what I hear, starting out as a volunteer is the best bet to go and from there you go to become a paid on call etc etc. That route seems more cheaper and easier dont you think? Also, Im not throwing away my life or my dream to become a firefighter... it's just in my current status I cant do anything but wait. My dad's advices are good, he is telling me to first get a bachelors degree as a second option since it takes time to take a career as a firefighter and have a steady job while Im in the list. I didnt know that. I dont have many connections to other fire fighters. So being young and stupid, I thought I could handle this on my own. I was wrong so now Im following my dads advice. Get it? Got it? Good.

Done with my rant, I dont want your sympathy like someone posted because I dont even know you guys. I was only asking for some questions and I get bashed on. Only reason why Im trying to defend myself is to atleast explain myself to the ones that helped.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X