X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by Jay Remmy View Post
    In cases like these, is it even possible to use the mask inserts?
    Read post #13

Leave a comment:

• DubyaVFF
    replied
    Yes. The sidewire type inserts pop in and out almost instantly. My old MSA kit was this type and fit well in MSA UltraVue, ISI Magnum, Scott AV2000 and Sperian TwentyTwenty plus facepieces.

My new kit is a Sperian NexSpex, which is a brand-labelled Altek kit. I love that the spectacle portion is wearable when removed from the facepiece. The frame isn't as easy to change between masks as the MSA kit was. When I started using that I was "assigned" a mask, although it stays on the truck. Since the frame doesn't impede fit or visibility of the mask, others can grab it at need, and I keep the MSA sidewire kit as a backup.

Leave a comment:

• Jay Remmy
    replied
    Originally posted by BSFD184 View Post
    ...at my new station we just grab a mask off the truck, we don't have them assigned to us so there is no guarantee...

Leave a comment:

• DeputyMarshal
    replied
    Originally posted by fireemt19 View Post
    The rec specs is a good idea.
    Keep in mind that the bows/headband of the "rec specs" can't extend under the facepiece seal at all.

The best solution is to get the proper insert for the mask. If you're in an OSHA state, the department will be required to provide them and pay for the prescription lenses. The same may apply in some non-OSHA states as well.

Leave a comment:

• fireemt19
    replied
    always keep a spare pair

I wear glasses, because i am near sighted i usually take them off if i have to don my mask and leave them in the apparatus where they wont get crushed. The rec specs is a good idea. also keep a second pair of glasses in your car or at the firehouse in case you crush or loose the pair you wore to the call.

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Originally posted by Lewiston2FF View Post
    Awwwww. Aren't you two cute! How long have you been dating?
    We're not exclusive sugarpants.

Leave a comment:

• Jay Remmy
    replied
    Ha. You guys are funny.
    But yea I have seen pictures of those mask inserts. Would they just fit into any standard mask or would you have to have a particular one to fit them?
    And although I never really have problems with contacts except the occasional speck of dust that destroys my eyes, I figured that based on the type of work environment, it would be prone to drying out, getting crap in them, and any other problems that one might have with contacts.

Leave a comment:

• Lewiston2FF
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
    You got me a thread.
    Awwwww. Aren't you two cute! How long have you been dating?

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    Originally posted by snowball View Post
    I didn't get you anything....
    You got me a thread.

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by BSFD184 View Post
    I wear glasses most of the time, and tried using the glasses insert in my SCOTT Mask, however at my new station we just grab a mask off the truck, we don't have them assigned to us so there is no guarantee I will always have the same mask, which means I would have to swap the glasses in and out of my mask which gets annoying.
    I used a hard video cassete case for my mask glasses, just left it in the pocket of my coat....got on the rig, slipped them into the mask, and put my glasses inside the case, which I left stuffed down in between the seats so that no one would step on them. Later on we got assigned our own masks.

Leave a comment:

• BSFD184
    replied
    I wear glasses most of the time, and tried using the glasses insert in my SCOTT Mask, however at my new station we just grab a mask off the truck, we don't have them assigned to us so there is no guarantee I will always have the same mask, which means I would have to swap the glasses in and out of my mask which gets annoying.

Now I just leave my glasses in the truck in a "hard" glasses case and don't wear them during a call where I mask up. Fortunately my eyesight is good enough that I can do that, although most of the time I find if I am wearing a mask, conditions are too crappy to see anyway

Hope this helps

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied
    Originally posted by johnny46 View Post
    2,000th post is merely a quote of your post with a comment for the purposes of history.
    I didn't get you anything....

Leave a comment:

• johnny46
    replied
    I don't wear glasses, but I can whip up a pretty mean set of beer goggles. It's a curse, I know.
    2,000th post is merely a quote of your post with a comment for the purposes of history.

Leave a comment:

• FireMedic049
    replied
    I don't wear glasses, but I can whip up a pretty mean set of beer goggles. It's a curse, I know.
    Do you need a prescription for that?

Leave a comment:

• snowball
    replied

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X