X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• pipeman1822
    replied
    Double post. Please delete.
    Last edited by pipeman1822; 03-02-2011, 05:37 PM.

Leave a comment:

• pipeman1822
    replied
    Double post. Please delete.
    Last edited by pipeman1822; 03-02-2011, 05:38 PM.

Leave a comment:

• admpaul
    replied
    I was just addressing the orginal question about ladders slipping on concrete. I do teach my students that ladders MUST be healed or tied off.

Leave a comment:

• tajm611
    replied
    Originally posted by admpaul View Post
    If the ladder is at the correct angle it SHOULD not slip out on concrete.
    Anything that should never happen will always happen.

Leave a comment:

• RFDACM02
    replied
    While this seems "obvious", when putting a wall/roof ladder to the sill for VES, there's a good chance the angle will be more shallow than the "correct" climbing angle. In most cases the correct angle sticker on ladders are too steep for comfort when wearing SCBA and carrying tools. But knowing the anticipated obstacles and properly selecting the ladder will certainly be a plus.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Really? Put a firefighter on that ladder, carry tools, OR rescuing a scared out of their mind victim and let's see how smoothly the climbing goes and how much the ladder bounces.

Sorry, if the personnel are available, or there is something to tie off to, securing the ladder is the right choice. Falling 10 feet or more to the concrete will do you or your victim not one bit of good.

Leave a comment:

• admpaul
    replied

Leave a comment:

• tajm611
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Originally Posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Fact is, given that the majority of our ventilation is PPV, there are little opportunities to throw ladders at incidents due to building construction. We still do truck work - It simply rarely involves ladders.

Flattered that you decided to use a quote of mine.

Really, I am.
    I sure hope so. It's not even sad, but funny to me now. I feel you are probably a good guy but on a different planet in terms of out look and that's fine. Maybe you mean the best in terms of getting all your men home in the morning but your personal limits you impose or are compelled to impose are different than mine and that's ok. Regardless, and wether I like it or not, you're a brother and I feel no need to argue further with you.

But having said that, truck work without ladders is just silly.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    You either forgot a "c" or an "o".... either way, I'm with ya.
    OH MY GOD!! Um, add a C. I hope to never live so close to someone with a hind end so loose i can here it functioning!!

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    the neighbors so lose you can hear then fart in their living room
    You either forgot a "c" or an "o".... either way, I'm with ya.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Originally posted by FireFuss
    Those are the houses that SELL grass. I have to walk a few blocks and get to a park to see some ground cover. It's still mostly dirt.
    I pity you city guys. I sit in my kitchen and can see deer, hawks, cardinals, wood peckers, morning doves, the occasional bald eagle and every once in a while opposums and racoons. My pond out back has got fish, frogs, turtles, and a musk rat. I have had wood ducks nesting here. Sand hill cranes, Canadian geese and ducks fly over in warmer weather to the river across the street.

My little part of paradise is just over 14 acres in a small rural community of around 700. I have a mixture of farm field, small woods, and the pond. I smile every time one of the guys I work with talk about moving up "Nort ay?" Sure I have a heck of a commute now, around 100 miles, but the money I spend on my house is for my retirement, not something to sell and move to a different house when I retire.

Honestly, I don't know how you guys do it. The noise, the neighbors so close you can hear then fart in their living room, no grass, no nature...I would go out of my mind.
    Last edited by FyredUp; 03-02-2011, 02:33 AM. Reason: Clarity, thanks Chief!

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    Originally posted by LaFireEducator View Post
    Fact is, given that the majority of our ventilation is PPV, there are little opportunities to throw ladders at incidents due to building construction. We still do truck work - It simply rarely involves ladders.

Really, I am.
    If only you knew that he used it because it is possibly the most idiotic thing you have ever said. Minus the whole kid in the car thing.

Leave a comment:

• LaFireEducator
    replied

Really, I am.

Leave a comment:

• tajm611
    replied
    If you're still interested in the topic, urban firefighter magazine's new issue has an article called location location location which is all about where to put your ladders and why.

its free and includes a great deal of knowledge

urbanfirefighter.com

Leave a comment:

• Deluge059
    replied
    Thanks for the responses. I got my answer 100 posts back and I didn't even think of using the hooks

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X