Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Pro-Tech Titan-K gloves falling apart!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FF_Johnston View Post
    You should write a book. It seems like you know a lot about everything.

If you don't believe it ask him. He will tell you volumes of bs that doesn't mean a hill of beans. He is a what we call a JAFR or 10 year rookie and he isn't on a fire department yet.

If I bought a pair of gloves and they seemed to wear too fast in some areas, I would talk to the sales person in which I bought t the gloves and seek a remedy. I sure would come in a public forum and cry to the world because my cheepo glove were wearing too fast.

If he does get on a department he needs to grow a thicker skin as the members will love to needle and rag him each and every day!

He has great ideas about helmets as well....

Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 02-28-2011, 11:31 AM.
    Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Every department needs a know it all shower boy.
      Super whacker unemployed turd scooper.

Comment

Originally posted by FF_Johnston View Post
        You should write a book. It seems like you know a lot about everything.
        I don't know why it would seem like that, I haven't talked about many things here let alone everything for you to make the kind of judgement about how much I know about everything. I, like many people, know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. That is, there are a few topics on which I know a lot, and many topics on which I know some or a little. And, of course, many topics on which I know practically nothing. I don't believe I'm an expert on anything. The topics on which I believe I know a lot are not topics that would normally come up for conversation on this particular message board; regarding fire-service related topics, they are mainly in the categories of topics on which I know very little or practically nothing. That's because I'm what you call new. But like anyone else who is new to something, I'm eager to learn and am trying to do so. But many people here seem to want to make that as difficult or painful as possible. For example, that Taurus I used to own...I prefer performance cars, but there I was stuck with a family car. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to make it just a tiny bit quicker. So I joined that Taurus owner's forum and asked. And some people helped by suggesting a few things or pointing me in the right direction. Nobody ever said, "You just bought your Taurus and you don't already automatically know everything you can do to make it a beast? You must be an idiot."

Originally posted by admpaul View Post
        Getting back to the orginal question, My department has used these gloves and never had a problem.
        Thanks for letting me know about this. It really does seem like I must have just gotten a single bad pair somehow, must have slipped through QC or something.

Originally posted by slackjawedyokel View Post
        Hey FF Johnson --- wait untill he starts on his helmet fetish.
        There will be other threads for that.

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
        If you don't believe it ask him. He will tell you volumes of bs that doesn't mean a hill of beans. He is a what we call a JAFR or 10 year rookie and he isn't on a fire department yet.
        To see how wrong you are about how much I think I know, read my reply to FF_Johnston at the beginning of this message. You are also incorrect about not being on a department yet. I wouldn't be in the class if I wasn't a member of a volunteer company.

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
        Every department needs a know it all shower boy.
        Super whacker unemployed turd scooper.
        I told you before I'm not a super whacker—I don't have any lights on my own car, and wouldn't if I could.

I've never tried turd scooping, but being unemployed, I'd be willing to try it if it paid. I'm sure I could find such a job near you. Turds are all that come out of your mouth so there must be a high demand for turd scoopers in your neighborhood.
        -Justin J. "JJR512" Rebbert

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

Originally posted by JJR512 View Post
          I don't know why it would seem like that, I haven't talked about many things here let alone everything for you to make the kind of judgement about how much I know about everything. I, like many people, know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. That is, there are a few topics on which I know a lot, and many topics on which I know some or a little. And, of course, many topics on which I know practically nothing. I don't believe I'm an expert on anything.
          Yet, instead of trying to learn, you're asking for tips on how to be the fashionista of the fire service.

Your department issued gloves suck? Welcome to the fire service.
          You spent way too much for over hyped gloves? Welcome to the fire service.

If you're in school, get off the forums and study. You aren't expanding your knowledge, you're asking for more experienced people to hold your hand with a product claim.

Grow up or get out of the fire service.
          ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
            Yet, instead of trying to learn, you're asking for tips on how to be the fashionista of the fire service.

Your department issued gloves suck? Welcome to the fire service.
            You spent way too much for over hyped gloves? Welcome to the fire service.

If you're in school, get off the forums and study. You aren't expanding your knowledge, you're asking for more experienced people to hold your hand with a product claim.

Grow up or get out of the fire service.
            No. This isn't something I'm doing instead of trying to learn, it's something I'm doing in addition to trying to learn. My class is six hours per week. I'm not going to spend all my remaining working hours studying. It's actually a very bad study habit to stay glued to the textbook.

The comments and opinions I express are solely my own and do not necessarily represent those of any employer or volunteer organization with which I am associated. Nobody is responsible for anything I say other than I alone.

Comment

When he grows up he wants to be a fireman like daddy.

`
              Last edited by CaptOldTimer; 07-08-2011, 01:52 PM.
              Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

I don't know why it would seem like that, I haven't talked about many things here let alone everything for you to make the kind of judgement about how much I know about everything. I, like many people, know a lot about a little and a little about a lot. That is, there are a few topics on which I know a lot, and many topics on which I know some or a little. And, of course, many topics on which I know practically nothing. I don't believe I'm an expert on anything. The topics on which I believe I know a lot are not topics that would normally come up for conversation on this particular message board; regarding fire-service related topics, they are mainly in the categories of topics on which I know very little or practically nothing. That's because I'm what you call new. But like anyone else who is new to something, I'm eager to learn and am trying to do so. But many people here seem to want to make that as difficult or painful as possible. For example, that Taurus I used to own...I prefer performance cars, but there I was stuck with a family car. I wanted to know if there was anything I could do to make it just a tiny bit quicker. So I joined that Taurus owner's forum and asked. And some people helped by suggesting a few things or pointing me in the right direction. Nobody ever said, "You just bought your Taurus and you don't already automatically know everything you can do to make it a beast? You must be an idiot."

Thanks for letting me know about this. It really does seem like I must have just gotten a single bad pair somehow, must have slipped through QC or something.

There will be other threads for that.

To see how wrong you are about how much I think I know, read my reply to FF_Johnston at the beginning of this message. You are also incorrect about not being on a department yet. I wouldn't be in the class if I wasn't a member of a volunteer company.

I told you before I'm not a super whacker—I don't have any lights on my own car, and wouldn't if I could.

I've never tried turd scooping, but being unemployed, I'd be willing to try it if it paid. I'm sure I could find such a job near you. Turds are all that come out of your mouth so there must be a high demand for turd scoopers in your neighborhood.

To paraphrase Adam Sandler as Billy Madison:

JJR512, what you have just said, is the most insanely idiotic thing I have ever heard. At no point, in your rambling incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points and may God have mercy on your soul.

Billy Madison
                Crazy, but that's how it goes
                Millions of people living as foes
                Maybe it's not too late
                To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

When all of this mud slinging stops are the knee boots going to be high enough? Might have to go and dig out the old hip boots. HA HA

Comment

No. This isn't something I'm doing instead of trying to learn, it's something I'm doing in addition to trying to learn. My class is six hours per week. I'm not going to spend all my remaining working hours studying. It's actually a very bad study habit to stay glued to the textbook.
                    "in addition" to would mean any information you request here would be supplemental to your education at the academy.

You can italicize all the words your want but it still won't make you seem like anything more than a 3x aged explorer whose more concerned with cool gloves and a bad *** helmet.

My academy gear was not even second hand but third or fourth, just barely enough to pass inspection. I made it through fine. If your department gloves are worn out, talk to your chief, if your own gloves wore out, talk to who sold them.

You're right, you don't have to be glued to the textbook, get out there and look at your district's buildings, practice with a ladder, EXERCISE, RUN, spend time at the department. None of those require you to type out your novellas here. And no, you can go through the academy without being a department, many do it.
                    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

one of the first things most probies learn when entering the fire service is that the good lord issued you with two ears and one mouth. Keep the first open & the second closed!

The first thing you do when fantasizing about joining the brotherhood is to take to task folks with many decades of service. Most of the people responding to your gibberish have been in the fire service longer than you have been alive.

So open your ears , close your mouth and you might learn enough to survive.

Every thread you have either started in your short time on this website has turned into you calling out the senior members of the fire service based on your supposed knowledge of how it should be.
                      It also earned you a suspension from participating here. Obviously you did not learn much from that.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                        Bad analogy my boy. Toyota had a problem with a few dozen cars, that killed and/or injured people. And it didn't come to owners talking to owners. It came by the owners submitting the accident reports, that Toyota realized that they had an issue.

On your gloves, you should have gone through the proper normal channels. That being what FyredUp had posted. I mean really, am I going to complain about a MATCO tool here, just to get answers that are obvious??? Ummm...NOT. << here's your smiley.

FM1

Toyota was cleared by the NHTSA and DOT of the cars having a flaw. The problem was people who are C U Next Tuesdays not knowing how to drive.

And I have had protechs for the past 4 years. Never a problem, and I would hardly call some pulling of the exterior layer around stitching falling apart. Call Andy at Techtrade and I am sure he will address it if TFS does not.

Also, lose the attitude everyone. He asked a question and then become a wenis about it when he was badgered about asking a question. Don't think the entire world comes here to read about firefighting equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
                          When he grows up he wants to be a fireman like daddy.
                          An amusing, and cute photo. Just for the record, though, nobody in my family has ever been a firefighter or even interested in that line of work. To my knowledge anyway, and I have been doing quite a lot of family history research.

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
                          To paraphrase Adam Sandler as Billy Madison:

(blah blah blah)

Billy Madison
                          Don't blame me if you are incapable of understanding simple English.

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
                          "in addition" to would mean any information you request here would be supplemental to your education at the academy.
                          Exactly. So don't tell me I should be doing something instead of posting here, when posting here isn't interfering with the other thing you feel I should be doing.

My academy gear was not even second hand but third or fourth, just barely enough to pass inspection. I made it through fine. If your department gloves are worn out, talk to your chief, if your own gloves wore out, talk to who sold them.
                          The gloves I was issued for the training academy were brand new. They were brand new thick stiff gloves. From what I have heard from other firefighters, manual dexterity and the tactile sense are very important, and many cheap gloves reduce those to an unacceptable degree. In fact, this point was raised by one of the instructors in my class tonight. She pointed out that many people seemed to have gloves that didn't fit well, and she pointed out how important a firefighter's hands are and strongly advocated getting gloves that fit well and allow for as much dexterity to be retained as possible. She said double check with your department to see if they have better gloves or consider buying your own gloves if your department doesn't have something that's perfect for you. Well, I already did that. These gloves fit me perfectly, and compared to what I was issued (which did not fit well), they're relatively thin and flexible.

You're right, you don't have to be glued to the textbook, get out there and look at your district's buildings, practice with a ladder, EXERCISE, RUN, spend time at the department. None of those require you to type out your novellas here. And no, you can go through the academy without being a department, many do it.
                          The point was that I'm not going to spend all my waking hours absolutely focused on the class or things related to it. Yes, everything you mentioned is important, and I will spend quite a lot of time doing all of it. But not every waking moment. And yes, I am aware that one can go through the academy without actually being a member of a department. According to the guy from MFRI who registered the students into the class on the first day, he thought the class costs about $1400 for non-members to take. As someone else pointed out, I'm unemployed. Of course, that doesn't prove that I didn't have $1400 laying around for me to just spend on a whim like taking Firefighter I. Nevertheless, I am a member of a volunteer fire company in Howard County, MD.

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                          Every thread you have either started in your short time on this website has turned into you calling out the senior members of the fire service based on your supposed knowledge of how it should be.
                          It also earned you a suspension from participating here. Obviously you did not learn much from that.
                          Once again you are incorrect. I don't believe I called anyone out here in this thread. There was another thread recently that I started that didn't degenerate at all; all I got was some good, solid advice in answer to the question I asked. I also did learn a lot from that suspension. I learned that the Webteam is free to suspend anyone for any reason even when no real rules were actually broken. Gee, a fire service website whose administration has its pets, its favorites whose whims get jumped to, ignoring what's actually right or fair. Who would have thunk that something like that could be possible in anything related to the fire service.

Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
                          Toyota was cleared by the NHTSA and DOT of the cars having a flaw. The problem was people who are C U Next Tuesdays not knowing how to drive.

And I have had protechs for the past 4 years. Never a problem, and I would hardly call some pulling of the exterior layer around stitching falling apart. Call Andy at Techtrade and I am sure he will address it if TFS does not.

Also, lose the attitude everyone. He asked a question and then become a wenis about it when he was badgered about asking a question. Don't think the entire world comes here to read about firefighting equipment.
                          You're right, describing them as "falling apart" may have been a bit of hyperbole on my part. But it's good to know that you've had them for quite awhile with no problems. Also, thank you for your last paragraph. I really appreciate it that you understand what it is that gets me bent out of shape.

Just for the record, in case anyone actually cares anymore, I called TFS this morning. I described the problem to the nice lady in customer service, who consulted with the manager in the showroom and confirmed that if I was able to bring them in today or tomorrow (tomorrow being the end of the 30 day return period), they would exchange them for me. So I did go there today, and I was able to exchange them without any problem.

The woman at the counter said she had never seen something like this brought in by another customer. I did exchange them for another pair of exactly the same kind of glove, which I had decided on based on so many people here (and nobody to the contrary) saying they had never had any problems at all with these gloves. On her own decision, she actually went back to the warehouse to grab a pair from back there, rather than letting me take the pair that was in the showroom, in case that pair was from the same batch as the ones I was returning.

I know it was suggested that I also contact Pro-Tech about this but since the problem was resolved through the vendor, I saw no need to get in touch with them. I assume that TFS is going to send the gloves back to Pro-Tech so the company will become aware of the problem that way.

Again, thanks to everyone who helped; your advice is greatly appreciated.
                          Last edited by NobodyAnymore; 02-28-2011, 11:50 PM.

Comment

block text removed
                            Good lord son. I understand your consternation about your gloves falling apart, and I appreciate that you want others input on whether they've had the same issue so you can determine whether it was an anomaly or if you just bought a pair of crap gloves.

But replying to every. single. bloody. post - and doing so while arguing and getting defensive - is not the way to go about it. All you've done is ticked off a number of people, sullied your own reputation, and gotten no farther along than you were before.

So please - drop the subject, take the advice given earlier re: contacting the manufacturer, and move on.

Comment

If your vocabulary hubris matched your self proclaimed knowledge of the fire service and all it encompasses, you wouldn't be in the situation you are in now which is crying over gloves and asking the very people you blasted on what to do. You try to tell other people how inferior their understanding of the English language is yet you can't even seem to grasp what everyone else is telling you.

I've met some ignorant people on here, but you are by and far the worst.

Comment

I am doing some research on gloves for the depertment which led me to this forum.
                                WOW. I joined just to leave a suggestion for this kid.
                                Just stop. You can think about leaving a reply, it might even sound good in your head, but just don't do it.

And to the rest of they guys on here. A little advice to you as well. I'm sure you have heard it before.

Don't argue with an idiot, he will only bring you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X