Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

College

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • College

    Growing up I have always known I would want to join the military or become a FF. Im currently a junior FF at my local VFD. As the spring draws closer I have to start thinking about college. I have heard that some colleges offer FF classes or have internships/vollie or paid jobs near by. I know that I either want to go to the Naval Academy or go to a college that will help me become a better Fire Fighter and point me on my way into a Fire fighting career. Does anyone know of any good colleges that will help me with this? Or advice. Thanks
    Last edited by VFF16; 02-27-2011, 03:49 PM.

  • #2
    I'm currently attending New Jersey City University in Jersey City, NJ, majoring in Fire Science. I'm about 1-2 semesters away from my degree, and working on testing for a career now.

    http://web.njcu.edu/sites/profstudie...nt/default.asp

    There's the link to the Fire Science Department's website. You can take a look through there, and you can see the courses that are offered for major, and take a look at the professors that you'll have, and see their qualifications. There's a contact number at the bottom link and you can call if you like and speak with Anna, the secretary and she can assist you if you have any questions.

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by st42stephenAFT View Post
      I'm currently attending New Jersey City University in Jersey City, NJ, majoring in Fire Science. I'm about 1-2 semesters away from my degree, and working on testing for a career now.

      http://web.njcu.edu/sites/profstudie...nt/default.asp

      There's the link to the Fire Science Department's website. You can take a look through there, and you can see the courses that are offered for major, and take a look at the professors that you'll have, and see their qualifications. There's a contact number at the bottom link and you can call if you like and speak with Anna, the secretary and she can assist you if you have any questions.
      Thanks a lot for the info I will look into it!

      Comment


      • #4
        Go get a nursing degree, like RN, then take tests to become a fireman. Getting a degree in fire science is about as useful as a psychology degree. My degree is in Public Affairs and Policy Studies, yeah that helps!

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
          Go get a nursing degree, like RN, then take tests to become a fireman. Getting a degree in fire science is about as useful as a psychology degree. My degree is in Public Affairs and Policy Studies, yeah that helps!
          Good advice. Not to mention you could challenge the Paramedic test wherever you are.

          Fire Science degrees are better for people already employed somewhere. A lot of times you gain classes needed for promotion by taking the degree classes, so you are killing two birds with one stone. With the school I am doing my degree through, we get state fire academy certificates as well as Pro Board applications after completing certain classes.
          Career Firefighter
          Volunteer Captain

          -Professional in Either Role-

          Originally posted by Rescue101
          I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

          Comment


          • #6
            Sounds like if you do not go to the navy academey you should

            Look at a fire protection engineering degree
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
              Go get a nursing degree, like RN, then take tests to become a fireman. Getting a degree in fire science is about as useful as a psychology degree. My degree is in Public Affairs and Policy Studies, yeah that helps!
              I concur. I got 3 fire science degrees and I wipe my *** w/ them when Im out of toilet paper. I wish I got a nursing degree to do that on the side. Many firemen in my dept. are going to nursing school now. A fire science degree does not help you get a firefighter job. They are civil service jobs so you have to take a civil service exam to get on. Only your credits are good for promotional purposes! Do something useful and get another degree while persuing your fireman career!! If you get into the naval Academy, GO!

              Comment


              • #8
                St. Micheal's College, Colchester VT

                Student run fire department which operates 2 engines and runs with the local volunteer department.

                About 700 runs a year, and when I was there with the local VFD about 8 years ago, they were first due into the busiest area in the district and closest to our busiest mutual aid partner.

                They also run an ALS ambulance serving 3 towns and doing the only pre-me transport in northern VT.

                Good school, though certainly not the caliber of the Naval Academy.
                Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-28-2011, 02:04 AM.
                Train to fight the fires you fight.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by VFF16 View Post
                  Growing up I have always known I would want to join the military or become a FF. Im currently a junior FF at my local VFD. As the spring draws closer I have to start thinking about college. I have heard that some colleges offer FF classes or have internships/vollie or paid jobs near by. I know that I either want to go to the Naval Academy or go to a college that will help me become a better Fire Fighter and point me on my way into a Fire fighting career. Does anyone know of any good colleges that will help me with this? Or advice. Thanks


                  The University of Maryland.


                  Stay Safe and Well Out There....

                  Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    http://www.uaf.edu/fire/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by VFF16 View Post
                      Growing up I have always known I would want to join the military or become a FF. Im currently a junior FF at my local VFD. As the spring draws closer I have to start thinking about college. I have heard that some colleges offer FF classes or have internships/vollie or paid jobs near by. I know that I either want to go to the Naval Academy or go to a college that will help me become a better Fire Fighter and point me on my way into a Fire fighting career. Does anyone know of any good colleges that will help me with this? Or advice. Thanks
                      If you can get into Annapolis, you should go, after you complete your mandatory five years of active duty, transition into the reserves and move wherever you want to work, establish residency and take the test, chances are you'd be at or very near the top of the list. If you can't swing Annapolis(most applicants don't) go to the best college you can, study something broad but with some relevancy to the fire service and/or military and then apply to OCS for whatever branch you wish to serve in, fulfill your commitment and follow the above directions.

                      Comment

                      300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                      Collapse

                      Upper 300x250

                      Collapse

                      Taboola

                      Collapse

                      Leader

                      Collapse
                      Working...
                      X