Good wig-wag?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

beat me to it
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
      Check that again. 90/6= 15 watts per head. 75/4= 18.75 watts per head.

For you average chief's truck/patrol car/POV that needs corner strobes, the 4/75 is the best way to go.

The 188 is unrealistic for someone who isn't running a 8 head strobe light bar. Simply not needed.
      Couple points of interest. The 64 pak(75 watts) is 75 maximum watts. The 690 pack is 90 watts. PLUS the 64 is an OBSOLETE pack. The 64 LXA is STILL available. Oh, you may be able to find one but the simple fact is they have been replaced with the more versatile and capable 690. I DEFY you to IDENTIFY,by EYE, a 3.75 watt difference delivered to the Tube,IF in fact,it even exists. Whelen tubes are designed to operate at 15 watts. The Power supplies have buffers to hold them in that range. I'm NOT gonna hold onto the bulb end leads to see if you're right.15 watts is PLENTY of power. You should be in the test run room at Whelen when they are repairing units,you either seize or go blind. Yes,i've been there. We have quite a few 188's in the field on both the blue and Red line. i prefer the 690's myself,even if I have to "gang" them. And with Led prices dropping along with the extended run times,i'm not sure where strobes will be in 5 yrs. T.C.
      Last edited by Rescue101; 03-04-2011, 08:18 PM.

Comment

Oh I agree. If I were to buy strobes today it would be a 6/90 pack. You can always find a spot for the two extra heads.

And as far as LAWs go, my local dealer told me that strobes were starting to be phased out. Of course thats what they said when LED light bars first hit the scene too, but you can still go spec an Edge any way you want it right now. Time will tell.
        Career Firefighter
        Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
        I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

For you average chief's truck/patrol car/POV that needs corner strobes, the 4/75 is the best way to go.

The 188 is unrealistic for someone who isn't running a 8 head strobe light bar. Simply not needed.
          What you consider average, isn't average around here. 4 strobes don't cut it, period. 6 can work just fine for some installs, but using an 8 head system works really well. And no, you don't need a freaking light bar to run 8 strobes.

Take a look at a 2008 Dodge Ram pickup. You can put 4 strobes in the rear. 1 in each brake light for 2, and 1 in each reverse light for another 2. That is 4 right there. Add 1 each to the headlights. Now you're at 6 strobes. 2 weeks later a Chief decides he needs intersection strobes on the front end of the front fenders. Bam, there's your 8 strobe lights. And no, they don't have to be the hide away style strobe heads to use the ISP188.

I don't know how long you've been in the fire service, but I've been installing strobes for over 8 years now, and business is good.

FM1
          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

I say strap two midgets to each headlight and give them each a flashlight.
            Co 11
            Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVBFD View Post
              I say strap two midgets to each headlight and give them each a flashlight.
              Up til a week ago that was a good idea. HOWEVER:The midgets are organizing and will no longer work those hrs in those conditions without proper comnpensation and equipment. That places them OUTSIDE affordable as the strobes do not require that level of support. T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
                What you consider average, isn't average around here. 4 strobes don't cut it, period. 6 can work just fine for some installs, but using an 8 head system works really well. And no, you don't need a freaking light bar to run 8 strobes.

Take a look at a 2008 Dodge Ram pickup. You can put 4 strobes in the rear. 1 in each brake light for 2, and 1 in each reverse light for another 2. That is 4 right there. Add 1 each to the headlights. Now you're at 6 strobes. 2 weeks later a Chief decides he needs intersection strobes on the front end of the front fenders. Bam, there's your 8 strobe lights. And no, they don't have to be the hide away style strobe heads to use the ISP188.

I don't know how long you've been in the fire service, but I've been installing strobes for over 8 years now, and business is good.

FM1
                I have a good understanding of emergency lighting and the ins and outs. I do my own installs as well as some for other firefighters.

I know that you don't have to power hideaways with a power supply and that you can use the outletts to power any non self contained strobe. Be it hideaway, surface mount, dash mount, lightbar, etc.

Point being, MOST people now days are using at the most 6 hideways and LED everywhere else. You dont see a whole lot of surface mount, dash or deck mount strobes. Right now I would say the hideway market is the only area that LED has not surpassed strobe in pretty much every area.
                Career Firefighter
                Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Right now I would say the hideway market is the only area that LED has not surpassed strobe in pretty much every area.
                  And they're working on that, too.

The instant on/instant off ability of LEDs is probably what makes it possible for them to replace strobes. That and the fact that they've gotten really bright, compared to when LED's first hit the market.
                  Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Re: Wig wags

Really? What kind of idiot wastes our time asking about wig-wags? The time it took you to ask on this forum you could have: done an internet search, ordered them, then installed them on your fire engine red pick-up truck that has 15 fire dept stickers, 5 attennas and a fat girlfriend.

Hey jackass, do you wanna talk about what cool pagers guys are wearing? Or maybe what kind of scanner picks up the most radio frequencies. *******s.

Nothin' but love.

Comment

Originally posted by italianfiremanac130 View Post
                      Really? What kind of idiot wastes our time asking about wig-wags? The time it took you to ask on this forum you could have: done an internet search, ordered them, then installed them on your fire engine red pick-up truck that has 15 fire dept stickers, 5 attennas and a fat girlfriend.

Hey jackass, do you wanna talk about what cool pagers guys are wearing? Or maybe what kind of scanner picks up the most radio frequencies. *******s.

Nothin' but love.
                      What's love got to do with it?
                      That's a hell of a first post....
                      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Nothin' but love.
                        Welcome to the forums.
                        Career Fire Captain
                        Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Point being, MOST people now days are using at the most 6 hideways and LED everywhere else. You dont see a whole lot of surface mount, dash or deck mount strobes. Right now I would say the hideway market is the only area that LED has not surpassed strobe in pretty much every area.
                          No disagreement here on that. I'll be happy when they have LED hideaways that equal or surpass the strobe lights. But for now, it's still strobes in the lenses.

On a different note: If you have any Fed Sig ModLED's on your rigs, get what you can for replacements. These have been discontinued and now obsolete. The replacement for them is the new QuadraFlare LED light.

Link to the ModLED: http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=158

Link to the QuadraFlare: http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=256

FM1
                          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
                            Or lucky, headlight housing composite quality differ greatly from maker to maker. The recon lights I've dealt with were generally of poor quality and high prices.
                            LUCKY? ME? Ah,NO! I could buy every Lottery ticket but 1 and I still wouldn't have the winner. T.C.

Comment

Nothin' but love.
                              Just how fat is your girlfriend? I mean, just saying, you seem to know a lot about it.

Comment

Nothin' but love.
                                The time it took you to write this, you could of thought up something funny.

Nothing but pity.
                                ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X