Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Good wig-wag?

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    i used a set of wig wags from galls that were 20 bucks and had a great experiance with them easy to instal just find your high beam wire and splice them in
    We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by jonbeard View Post
      but I have seen them and they make you squint
      Because thats exactly what you want on coming traffic doing.



      As an advocate for evolution, I sure hope you never reproduce.
      ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
        Let me guess - the Recon units, right?

        Little hint - although they say those are 90 watt lights, what they will admit when backed up to the wall is it is a 90 watt SYSTEM, and those bulbs are for the system.

        It is a 6 head power supply, so do the math. 90 / 6 equals 15 watts per head. Less power than most public safety units. Recon is made for show vehicles, and it is a low quality low power unit

        Another hint - at 20 watts per tube, they can melt the lense on the turn signal/brake lights. Think what a 90 watt tube, if available could do.

        And a 90 watt tube would do more than make you squint - it would blind the drivers coming toward you.
        This is Waaaaay too easy to pass up. WHEN is the LAST time you saw a STROBE tube MELT a lense? I've got a UP690 in my truck,Public safety grade,and you're right,it's 15 watts a tube. AND,you WON'T have ANY troubled seeing them.If you run 6 off a 60 watt unit,it's 10 per tube. And AGAIN,you won't have any trouble seeing them. I use Whelen stuff,long lived and the Town has an account with them. Same goes for the Headlight flasher,they make a very nice,long lived unit. Some of the Chinese stuff,NOT SO MUCH. T.C.

        Comment


        • #19
          Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
          This is Waaaaay too easy to pass up. WHEN is the LAST time you saw a STROBE tube MELT a lense? I've got a UP690 in my truck,Public safety grade,and you're right,it's 15 watts a tube. AND,you WON'T have ANY troubled seeing them.If you run 6 off a 60 watt unit,it's 10 per tube. And AGAIN,you won't have any trouble seeing them. I use Whelen stuff,long lived and the Town has an account with them. Same goes for the Headlight flasher,they make a very nice,long lived unit. Some of the Chinese stuff,NOT SO MUCH. T.C.

          Thats easy. Last November. A Sheriffs department decided it would be cheaper to do the install in house than pay my shop to do it.

          Chevy pickup, they put strobes in the third brake light/cargo light fixture. They told me they really had to stuff it in there to make it all fit. 40 watt two head unit. It melted. My installers always try to get 20 watts to a head (by sizing the power supply correctly) but they also install the tubes so they are not literally touching the lense.

          They can pay me now, or they can pay me (more) later.

          As an aside, I can't count the number of dash lights I have seen melted, almost always cheap knockoffs.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
            Thats easy. Last November. A Sheriffs department decided it would be cheaper to do the install in house than pay my shop to do it.

            Chevy pickup, they put strobes in the third brake light/cargo light fixture. They told me they really had to stuff it in there to make it all fit. 40 watt two head unit. It melted. My installers always try to get 20 watts to a head (by sizing the power supply correctly) but they also install the tubes so they are not literally touching the lense.

            They can pay me now, or they can pay me (more) later.

            As an aside, I can't count the number of dash lights I have seen melted, almost always cheap knockoffs.
            I'm GOING to HAVE to AGREE with YOU on THAT. NOT coming FROM an EMERGENCY light INSTALL background, BUT building UP cars AND the OCCASIONAL truck, I'VE seen IT too. -tajm611
            ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

            Comment


            • #21
              Hey,must have been doing it RIGHT all these years. NEVER melted a lense. Never tried to stuff strobes in a cyclops either,talk about DUMB. Probably go a hundred or so systems out there,outside of an occasional bad tube,no other problems. Most of the stuff we run is 15 watts per outlet,good output and long life. T.C.

              Comment


              • #22
                Or lucky, headlight housing composite quality differ greatly from maker to maker. The recon lights I've dealt with were generally of poor quality and high prices.
                ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

                Comment


                • #23
                  Considering that the cops around here are starting to figure out that the blue LED's they've been adding to the backside of their lightbars are sometimes a bit overwhelming... There is such a thing as too much of a good thing.
                  Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

                  Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                    Hey,must have been doing it RIGHT all these years. NEVER melted a lense. Never tried to stuff strobes in a cyclops either,talk about DUMB. Probably go a hundred or so systems out there,outside of an occasional bad tube,no other problems. Most of the stuff we run is 15 watts per outlet,good output and long life. T.C.
                    And there you have the difference - installing them correctly.

                    Morons walk among us....

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                      And there you have the difference - installing them correctly.

                      Morons walk among us....
                      ...... Strobes in the third brake light??? F-DA

                      I'm with TC on the Whelen strobe systems. I do about 20 installs a year during the summer. I'll only use the Whelen UPS690's or ISP188's. Even running 6 on the ISP188, I've yet to melt a lens. And I don't see it happening in the near future.

                      If you're melting lenses, as said, you're not qualified to do any installs.

                      FM1
                      I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

                      Originally posted by EastKyFF
                      "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Re: Good wig-wags

                        Here you go...

                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Save your money. Just turn your headlights on and off real fast as you drive down the street.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Remember, not using ports on a strobe power supply doesn't divert more power to the used ports- it is still divided equally. Meaning, using 4 ports on a 6/90 power supply won't get you any more power to each strobe head than using all 6 would.

                            If you only plan on using 4 heads, the Whelen 4/75 power supply would get you the most power to each head.
                            Career Firefighter
                            Volunteer Captain

                            -Professional in Either Role-

                            Originally posted by Rescue101
                            I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                              Remember, not using ports on a strobe power supply doesn't divert more power to the used ports- it is still divided equally. Meaning, using 4 ports on a 6/90 power supply won't get you any more power to each strobe head than using all 6 would.

                              If you only plan on using 4 heads, the Whelen 4/75 power supply would get you the most power to each head.
                              Using YOUR theory,Nope that would be the 690 or the 188. Both have more output than the 75 which is an obsolete power supply. T.C.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
                                Using YOUR theory,Nope that would be the 690 or the 188. Both have more output than the 75 which is an obsolete power supply. T.C.
                                Check that again. 90/6= 15 watts per head. 75/4= 18.75 watts per head.

                                For you average chief's truck/patrol car/POV that needs corner strobes, the 4/75 is the best way to go.

                                The 188 is unrealistic for someone who isn't running a 8 head strobe light bar. Simply not needed.
                                Career Firefighter
                                Volunteer Captain

                                -Professional in Either Role-

                                Originally posted by Rescue101
                                I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X