No announcement yet.

Leatherheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not cranky.. That starts when I get to work and have to deal with convicts.. I understand what you are saying about nuances etc. I agree..

The question remains; Did you use a stripper on it or sand it to get the old paint off?

Comment

I just finished refinishing mine. Sigh....It was just starting to look good. I got promoted and it had to be a different color.

I followed instructions from another web site that seemed to have good feedback.

Strip it with Citrus Strip. I got mine at Lowes. Don't rush it, it needs to sit for 12-24 hours to loosen up the paint. You'll probably need to do it a couple of times. I used plastic scrapers I cut out from an old CD case to remove the softened up paint so I wouldn't gouge the leather or cut any of the stitching (I only wanted legitimate dings and dents on it ). It takes time to get at all of the nooks and crannies. Don't be surprised if you get an inkling to leave it natural colored. It is pretty nice. Also, I didn't strip and paint the underside. It's still yellow. Only I can see it.

Once stripped, I put a coat of Linseed oil on it and let it dry. The first coat of paint was 50% paint/50% linseed oil. Second coat was straight paint. I heard a variety of opinions on paints but the majority favored oil based enamel. I ended up using Rustoleum Professional Use Enamel paint (gloss white in my case.) You can get in the small cans at Lowes. Some swear by 1 Shot or the very expensive Sherwin Williams Lustor enamel. It only comes in gallon sized for over $100 a gallon.

I like the way it came out. If I get a chance I'll post a picture.

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
        Not cranky.. That starts when I get to work and have to deal with convicts.. I understand what you are saying about nuances etc. I agree..

The question remains; Did you use a stripper on it or sand it to get the old paint off?
        With my first N6A no stripper was necessary. The first time it felt any heat at all about 3/4 of the factory paint fell right off in huge sheets. I simply scuffed the surface slightly and repainted it using the paint they recommend. Sherwin williamd if I remember right. I then kept it clean an touched up as needed.

The second one, following advice from here, I used the Citrus stripper, then used the citrus stripper remover, then washed my helmet with soap and water before painting it. The paint stuck pretty well to that helmet but the brim still essentially disintegrated.

Why? I haven't a clue.
        Crazy, but that's how it goes
        Millions of people living as foes
        Maybe it's not too late
        To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

Bad cow......
          ?

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
            With my first N6A no stripper was necessary. The first time it felt any heat at all about 3/4 of the factory paint fell right off in huge sheets. I simply scuffed the surface slightly and repainted it using the paint they recommend. Sherwin williamd if I remember right. I then kept it clean an touched up as needed.

The second one, following advice from here, I used the Citrus stripper, then used the citrus stripper remover, then washed my helmet with soap and water before painting it. The paint stuck pretty well to that helmet but the brim still essentially disintegrated.

Why? I haven't a clue.
            It has to be that damn stripper. I wonder if soaking the helmet with vinegar would neutralize the strippers acidic behavior.. I mean SOAKING that beeyotch..

That is one reason why I wouldn't hesitate to try a Phenix or Conway leather.. The color is IN the leather..
            Last edited by SkullKrusher2010; 02-21-2011, 09:26 PM. Reason: content mojo

Comment

Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
              I never said it wore out. I said it was a piece of junk and it was and that it fell apart.

The back brim cracked, broke, and fell apart so badly that all that was left in some areas was the wire rim frame. I kept my helmet clean, I kept it painted, I didn't leave it sitting for hours or days in my car in the hot sun. It just couldn't take repeated fire exposure when i used it as an instructor. AND I don't want to hear how that is abusive to a leather fire helmet. Look what is a fire helmet for? It is designed yo protect you from heat and debris falling on you. Well, it couldn't handle the job and is now hung on my shop wall. On the other hand the "plastic" traditional Chieftan helmet shows no signs of damage and has served me very well. So for me the answer is clear.
              Everyone here that is an instructor knows that the heat you are exposed to while teaching and/or throwing pallets will probaby be more than if you were fighting fire. Basing your service life of the helmet off of live fire instructing isn't exactly fair.
              Career Firefighter
              Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
              I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                Everyone here that is an instructor knows that the heat you are exposed to while teaching and/or throwing pallets will probaby be more than if you were fighting fire. Basing your service life of the helmet off of live fire instructing isn't exactly fair.
                Okay, I'll agree to the fact that the heat is more intense. Please explain though how my leather helmets couldn't take the heat but the "plastic" traditionals I have replaced my leathers with have suffered no damage at all. It seems ludicrous to me that the leather helmet can't take the heat but a plastic helmet that costs hundreds less can.

Maybe the leather helmet should have a warning sticker on it that says "Caution exposure to heat and flames may cause your helmet to fall to pieces."

Hey, I haven't told anyone not to buy a leather helmet. In fact like I said if I could buy an original style N5A without the impact cap and either of my FDs would let me use it I would have one. But as for a new N6A, or an N5A, no thank you. Enjoy yours, and I sincerely mean that.
                Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Originally posted by SkullKrusher2010 View Post
                  It has to be that damn stripper. I wonder if soaking the helmet with vinegar would neutralize the strippers acidic behavior.. I mean SOAKING that beeyotch..

That is one reason why I wouldn't hesitate to try a Phenix or Conway leather.. The color is IN the leather..
                  I didn't use the stripper on the first N6A...
                  Maybe it's not too late

Comment

Heh Heh Id like to use a stripper on mine every night HOOOAH!
                    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Comment

Looking to save up for one someday soon. Not sure what style yet.

Comment

i have 2 sams and 2 new yorkers... love them all. my everyday is
                        Lieutenant
                        Joel Chouinard
                        Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
                        Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
                        Cairns Leather, the only choice!

Comment

Those are some awesome looking lids guys
                          Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Comment

My other N6A

Lieutenant
                            Joel Chouinard
                            Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
                            Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
                            Cairns Leather, the only choice!

Comment

New Leather

I am looking at buying a new n5a from the thefirestore but they told me they only sell them the the rachet system. Does any body know any different?

Comment

Originally posted by cestes View Post
                                I am looking at buying a new n5a from the thefirestore but they told me they only sell them the the rachet system. Does any body know any different?
                                That is what they sell, because the NFPA says they have to have that stuff inside.

Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...