Leatherheads

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Leatherheads

Im the new proud owner of a Sam Houston N6A. Untill then I was wearing the Bullard traditional. It took me a few days to get used to the weight. but now that I have it adjusted accordingly I love it. So My question is How many leatherheads we got around here?

Bobby
    Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Right on brother! I have been in an N6A for about 6 months now..

What you need is a shield that is the crowning jewel for a great helmet like this.. Go see Bryan at Red House Shields.com and order yourself up a "Dark Knight" model like I did. My shield is pictured in the "Standard Shield" section ( I have no idea why since it is a Dark Knight model), the last one on the bottom "LHFD, 141, HANLON".

For N6A Sammys, have him make it the old-school "flared" version, 6.25" and a bit thinner. Mention my shield and he will know exactly what you are talking about.

I am having him make me another one just like that one but with the lettering painted white.. Hey, one of his shields is just never enough

Comment

I have 2 Sam Houstons, one for each department. Love them both.
      Career Firefighter
      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Originally posted by IronValor View Post

Im the new proud owner of a Sam Houston N6A. Untill then I was wearing the Bullard traditional. It took me a few days to get used to the weight. but now that I have it adjusted accordingly I love it. So My question is How many leatherheads we got around here?

Bobby
        I have an N6A and and N5A. My N5 is my "work lid"... I'm giving my son my
        N6A when he graduates from the Academy in March.
        Here's the work lid...

‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Nice N5A Chief.. Did you take the brass "cap" off the very top or is it painted white also?

Comment

To be honest.. I never really looked.. a friend refinished it for me.
            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Oldie but a goodie
              FTM-PTB-EGH-RFB-KTF

Comment

I have two. N6A and Conway Heritage. The Conway sits lower and rides better, but the N6A looks way more bad ***! Congrads on the helmet, I'll never willingly wear plastic again.

Comment

My next helmet will be a Conway Heritage. I really like those. I will always wear the N6A first but I just want to try one since I already have an N6A now..

Comment

leather forever
                    Lieutenant
                    Joel Chouinard
                    Rescue Co. 106 "When Push Comes To Shove"
                    Engine Co. 307 "Pride Of The South Side"
                    Cairns Leather, the only choice!

Comment

I have a few pictures of some nice leathers on my website if you guys would like to check them out:

www.capitolcityfirehelmets.webs.com

Comment

I am going to have to second that shoutout to Red House Shields. I also have the Dark Knight on my Phenix Leather and it is awesome! He does great work.

Comment

speaking of leather. Ive seen a bunch of you have taken out the top of the head pad in the houstons. What does this accomplish? Should I do it? Hows it done? Thanks in advance.
                          Last edited by truckedup133; 02-19-2011, 12:05 AM.
                          "It's a living thing brian..."

Comment

Originally posted by truckedup133 View Post
                            speaking of leather. Ive seen a bunch of you have taken out the top of the head pad in the houstons. What does this accomplish? Should I do it? Hows it done? Thanks in advance.
                            It lets the helmet sit lower on your head in a more positive way. Just snip away at the back of the pad.. easy enough and takes about 30 seconds.

If you don't like it, the fire store sells a replacement pad. Look in "replacement parts" section of the Cairns helmet section.

Comment

Ive always wondered. What is the major diffrences between the leathers I see some swear by the New Yawkah. Some swear by the Paul Conway, Alot of the Lexington Fire guys I work with swear by the Sam Houston. I have seen where some have said the New Yawkah is OSHA Approved and the Sammy isnt. however when I purchased mine the information that came with the helmet said it met both NFPA and OSHA Guidlines.

And as far as " Ripping the guts out" Of the sammy to make it sit lower. Would this interfere with the helmets ability to protect My melon?

And one more question.. ( Yeah I know Im getting annoying) What are some of the best ways to shape the helmet besides letting Old Man Fire do it for me?
                              Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X