Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• fire615
    replied
    What I don't like about the Hook and D set up is that you are relying on the velcro flap as your primary closure, then the hook and D as a secondary. Becasue with the Velcro you might not be fully closed if you are in a rush and then the hook and D wouldn't also completely seal. That is why I like the zipper then the Velcro flap, because when you close the zipper, you know that it is closed all the way. Also I feel that the zipper is quicker to close and open with gloves on.

Leave a comment:

• backsteprescue
    replied
    I have a set of the hook and D and a set of zipper gear and love the zipper. Wasn't too convinced about it at first, but now love the zipper.

Leave a comment:

• IronValor
    replied
    I have wore both types of coats. What I have found in no matter what brand My department uses the zipper tends to wear out and it takes longer to replace. And should the zipper malfunction it puts the entire coat out of service longer where as should a Clip or a D Break You could still effectively use the coat as protection untill it could be repaired.

One of the Pros of having the zipper is speed. You can get in and out of it easier that is to say if your calm. Adrenaline is a nasty thing sometimes and it can take you longer to zip your coat if your hands are shaky.

The zipper coats tend to be lighter by comparison as well because there is not as much metal there as per say a Hook and D. Also when doing your Mayday scenarios and bailout scenarios or God Forbid an actual Bailout You will notice You dont have the clackity clackity clackity noise as your going over something that would normally rub against the hook and D. You wouldnt have the chance of a possible snag either which is more common of Hook and D Coats that dont have a velcro snap.

Personally I like the hook and D with a velcro flap just because its what fits me. When purchasing PPE You need to take into account what fits you and your departments personal needs. Hope this helps

Bobby

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    I ordered my newest set with hooks and Ds, and the latest 4 sets we just received for our guys have zippers. With the brand we went with, they used a non-metal zipper, which from what I can tell is going to hold up much better than the metal ones.

Like said above though, it is really just preferance. I like my coat with the hooks and Ds. And like the others said, I don't even worry about the buttons under the velcro. The action of fastening the hooks and Ds closes the velcro good enough for me.

Leave a comment:

• slackjawedyokel
    replied
    Went from the zippers to the Chicago style -The flap covers the hooks -not a whole lot of difference between the two.

Leave a comment:

• fire615
    replied
    When the dealer came out, he had both styles. One was just velcro on the inside and then the hook and D on the outside. The other was a zipper on the inside then velcro on the outside. Again I am really looking for the pros and cons of each.

Leave a comment:

• fireinfo10
    replied
    If you have problems with zippers you need to buy a better brand of gear. Not by price or brandname to keep up with the Jones.

You have hook and dee on your Levis or winter coat?

Leave a comment:

• sapper937
    replied
    just my two sense.... i prefer the chicago closure snaps and hooks/d's then a velcro flap covering that. i just recently purchased a new set of gear that has the zipper and it has seemed to slow me down a bit as far as getting my gear on at first but both have their advantages. the zipper being that it completly closes the coat unlike the hook/d that still leaves gaps under the velcro. but in all reality its about the same either way

Leave a comment:

• nameless
    replied
    Originally posted by FyredUp View Post
    Really? They take abuse better? I have not had a turnout coat in over 20 years that hasn't had a zipper and I have only had one that had to be replaced because the coat tore at the end of the zipper.

My experience with hooks and D's was they hung up on everything and were a complete pain in the ***. I know some guys seem to like them but for me give me the zipper.

The reason why hooks and D's are slower than zippers is that they almost always have snaps that must be fastened in conjunction with the hooks and D's, well if you are doing it right anyways.
    Maybe your goods spends more time on the rack than ours, We've had a number of zippers break and you have to replace the whole zipper vs. just a clip. Clips getting hung up sounds like poor coat design, our outside flap completely covers the clips and D rings so there is nothing to snag.

Leave a comment:

• EastKyFF
    replied
    I've been in zipper & velcro for about 7 years now, and I far prefer it to hook & D's because I don't have those pesky metal closures getting cinched up against me when I pack up or getting snagged in tight spots.

Leave a comment:

• FyredUp
    replied
    Maintenance on the zipper is easy. Clean them on occasion and apply either some wax to it or rub a bar of soap on it for lubrication.

Leave a comment:

• npfd801
    replied
    Why not let the guys get what they want? We've done that before.

We, as a department, have had issues with zippers in the past. We've gone away from them. I can replace a clasp or d-ring much easier than a zipper.

Last time I checked, the zipper is actually less money up front through our supplier, but not by much.

Leave a comment:

• BoxAlarm187
    replied
    Much prefer the zippers to the snaps/hooks. Been wearing a zipper for 15+ years without the first issue in any of my departments.

Leave a comment:

• Lump532
    replied
    I have problems with the zipper sometimes simply because I learned on the hooks. Not enough to complain or slow me down, it just feels like it takes me forever to get it started.

An advantage to the zipper is the quick release. Most modern zippers will open very quickly if you pull them up. Simply pull the zipper up, pull the coat apart and the zipper opens along with the Velcro.

It makes removing the coat in an emergency much easier.

Leave a comment:

• ChiefKN
    replied
    Not really worth arguing over... some like blondes, some like brunettes.

Bull likes redheads.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X