• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wake up...
    IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by Whocares View Post
      "Talking to the other members on the backstep about who is going to go where depending on the building type, fire floor, what due, etc." Shouldn't this stuff already be determined? You say a guy saying a 5 or 10 second prayer is "zoning out" but you guys rolling down the street talking about stuff that should be pre-determined and automatic is the right way? I guess I'm not in the same game either, then. If it is a normal fire, everyone knows exactly what every member will be doing. If it is not normal and we need to deviate from plan - we won't know the situation until we get there, so there is not much to discuss. While I don't pray, myself, I fail to see how 5 or 10 seconds praying is "zoning out" or not being in "the same game". Instead of worrying About ten seconds "wasted" in the rig, you should spend ten minutes in the morning figuring out what you are going to be doing at a fire...
      As i inferred before, a lot of what we do is dictated by the building type and fire floor. Specifically for the "outside team" whose duties vary depending on the specific building type. So yes, that ten minutes or so in the morning does happen. But as we all know, we all don't respond to text book cookie cutter buildings and fires, so we tend to communicate where we are going and what we are going to do when we know what type of building we're going to.

As for all you pious, self flagellating individuals; do what you must.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
        You're a "Pastafarian?"
        Yes, I attend services at the local Italian Restaurant every Sunday morning
        Opinions expressed by myself here are just that, mine. And not that of ANY organization or service I am affiliated with.

Comment

Originally posted by Brazos312 View Post
          It only takes about 5 seconds to say a good prayer en route to a call. Firefighters (and anyone else for that matter) should have all aspects of their life (mental, physical, and spiritual) taken care of to be at their best. If you think spending 5 seconds to ask the good lord to watch out for you is a waste of time, that is definitely your choice. I consider it essential. And yeah, the need varies depending on who is driving...
          I agree with you. I feel it helps me do my job better, it is possible to say a prayer while en route to a call, and I am no less prepared to do my job than anyone else. If you are a spiritual person then continue to be that regardless of what others may think in the house.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
            You're a "Pastafarian?"
            BAAAAHH HAHAHAHA! I am glad I wasn't drinking anything!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by SPFDRum View Post
              I pray Im out of the shower or done taking a dump BEFORE the call!!!!
              I couldn't agree more!

Also, the BLOWME size up method is awesome! Laughed my *** off.
              ------------------------------------
              These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
              ------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                On my way to every call, no I don't pray. Do I say a prayer when we're rolling to a working structure fire? Or heading out onto the nasty icy highway in the middle of the night cause some flat lander forgot four wheel drive doesn't do **** on ice? Yeah, I say a quick prayer. A "Please lord keep us safe" is all thats needed.

Is it everyones cup of tea? No, we got a guy who quite frequently reminds me how much of a "Hopeless lost fool" I am for saying those occasional prayers. And I'm cool with that, to each his/her own as far as I'm concerned. As long as its not affected my job performance, how is it hurting?

Not everyone in this job is gonna believe in the same thing, some may believe in nothing. But god damn it, if I want to believe in my fictitious spaghetti monster in the sky. Then so be it.
                Good post. i find that there are times when I might pray quick, but to be honest I am so focused on the call and being prepared, I usually don't. That being said, when I'm home I do have a relationship with our creator and find that that is a better time for me to say thanks and ask. On the way to a call? Unless it's a seriously large, involved fire, I really don't see the need. God I love spagetti!

Comment

"Dear God, please don't let me f*** up!"

Comment

I used to on occasion..such as a big working fire or a certain member driving the truck lol..well after I was involved in a rollover with our pumper-tanker (not by a driver I would have ever been worried about btw)..I pray every trip, usually on the way there and the way back..

I usually like to pray a bit before I fall asleep as well..so I've never been beyond praying..but things are just different now after that I guess.
                    "First In, Last Out"

Comment

When I see the smoke rolling YES
                      Jerry Stewart
                      Firefighter Engine Company No. 44
                      Licensed Paramedic State of Michigan
                      [email protected]
                      (313) 732 7377
                      Detroit Fire Department Local 344

Comment

I pray on every call that when I get home the "ball and chain" will have had enough and moved out. So far no prayers answered

Comment

Originally posted by waterboy1 View Post
                          i pray on every call that when i get home the "ball and chain" will have had enough and moved out. So far no prayers answered
                          hahahahahah lmao!!
                          "First In, Last Out"

Comment

I would not say that I am the most religious guy in the world. With that being said there are times when I do ask Him to protect and keep us safe. Does that mean I am screaming in Tounges out in the front yard taking up snakes and jumping pews? no.. Does that mean Im in a neon purple suit with greased back hair with enough money spent on plastic surgery to fund a small city department trying to get you to plant your faith seed.. Certainly not.

The two seconds that it takes to say that little prayer is not going to hurt anything. I also carry My Grandmothers Rosary with me everyday in My uniform pocket.
                            Do not let the ghosts of our fallen brothers gaze upon you and ask " What have you done to my profession?" FTB DTRT EGH

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X