Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DeputyChiefGonzo
    replied
    Not everyone in this job is gonna believe in the same thing, some may believe in nothing. But god damn it, if I want to believe in my fictitious spaghetti monster in the sky. Then so be it.
    You're a "Pastafarian?"

Leave a comment:

• GTRider245
    replied
    What is the definition of irony you ask? Someone who openly admits to not being a religious person telling someone else that is they don't need to worry about praying. Good call.

I don't pray on the way to every single call. I pray when I feel it is needed. I like the start of the shift idea too. Anyone who thinks that someone saying a 5 second prayer en route to a call should be "using thier time more wisely" to prepare the call must be the most flexible person in the world because that's one of the biggest stretches I have ever heard.

Leave a comment:

• EngineCO38
    replied
    On my way to every call, no I don't pray. Do I say a prayer when we're rolling to a working structure fire? Or heading out onto the nasty icy highway in the middle of the night cause some flat lander forgot four wheel drive doesn't do **** on ice? Yeah, I say a quick prayer. A "Please lord keep us safe" is all thats needed.

Is it everyones cup of tea? No, we got a guy who quite frequently reminds me how much of a "Hopeless lost fool" I am for saying those occasional prayers. And I'm cool with that, to each his/her own as far as I'm concerned. As long as its not affected my job performance, how is it hurting?

Not everyone in this job is gonna believe in the same thing, some may believe in nothing. But god damn it, if I want to believe in my fictitious spaghetti monster in the sky. Then so be it.

Leave a comment:

• tajm611
    replied
    Originally posted by pvfd27 View Post
    I start every day with the same prayer: "Dear Lord, Protect me from your followers..."
    i love you, no homo

Leave a comment:

• pvfd27
    replied
    I start every day with the same prayer: "Dear Lord, Protect me from your followers..."

Leave a comment:

• FWDbuff
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    You are still safe little BOY. least my GF doesn't require a airplane ride to see!
    I understand that "Pass The Proby" in his Dept's Bunkrooms is quite popular right now.

Leave a comment:

• fire49
    replied
    Pray without ceasing

Leave a comment:

• futurefireman94
    replied
    Thanks guys!
    One thing i love about firehouse forums is you can always count on some diverse opinions with a little humor thrown here and there...

Oh, btw i don't close my eyes and pray 5 minutes while on the way to the call i use that time to remember B-L-O-W-M-E but seriously, i just say something short while pov to the firehouse (We are a vollie dept) thanks again...

Leave a comment:

• Chewy911
    replied
    I do, I always say a little prayer as im looking into my helment. Looking at the picture of my wife and daughter. Asking god to keep all my skills sharp and focused so i can do my absolute best. And that everyone goes home to their family at the end of this call. Im not a bible thumper by far.....but i do believe in the good lord.

Leave a comment:

• Weruj1
    replied
    Loved it Gonz !!!!!!! .....and no I dont.

Leave a comment:

• ffbam24
    replied
    Originally posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post
    Just curious what you do on your way to a call? Aside from getting dressed and listening to on scene reports, what part of your job are you doing?

For me if it sounds hairy, yeah, I'll say a quick one. It does help me prepare. I'm comfortable enough with my training to take 5 seconds to make myself feel at peace with the world.
    What is the saying? Size-up starts when you get the run/are dispatched/get the ticket.

We're usually listening to any additional info while enroute. Talking to the other members on the backstep about who is going to go where depending on the building type, fire floor, what due, etc. Taking a moment to pray while absorbing all that and preparing yourselves is not conducive to the preparation. Gives the impression that you aren't in the same game if you're zoning out "praying", which if you are doing that then; you aren't.

I start the tour in a state of grace O:-)

Leave a comment:

• BLSboy
    replied
    Originally posted by jonnyirons2 View Post
    You are still safe little BOY. least my GF doesn't require a airplane ride to see!
    Its aN airplane ride, and FYI, its TWO rides. Tampa to AC, then AC to Beantown.

Leave a comment:

• jonnyirons2
    replied
    Originally posted by BLSboy View Post
    He has been busy blowing dudes again.

Leave a comment:

• FiremanLyman
    replied
    Originally posted by DCFDRescue2 View Post
    It depends on who's driving.
    Oh God, Oh God, Oh God!

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    Does pulling up to the scene and saying "Oh Christ" when you see that the blue canaries have blocked the hydrant and/or the front of the house count?????
    Yes. Actually I pray for it. Each time I think I can get away with laying 5 inch on a cop car hood they are just far enough away that it would look intentional. Some day I will get it done.

I have said a few short prayers after a call, especially if a child gets injured or dies. In route to the call there is just too much going on, God will look out for them, you focus on your half.

Leave a comment:

• DCFDRescue2
    replied
    Originally posted by ffbam24 View Post
    Enroute to and/or on scene of a call??
    Yeah, those are the times you should be doing your job and NOT relying on divine intervention.
    Are you seriously that doubtful in your training?

Save the prayers for saying grace or once it's all done.
    Just curious what you do on your way to a call? Aside from getting dressed and listening to on scene reports, what part of your job are you doing?

For me if it sounds hairy, yeah, I'll say a quick one. It does help me prepare. I'm comfortable enough with my training to take 5 seconds to make myself feel at peace with the world.

Leave a comment:

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X