Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you pray before you go o calls?

Hello all,
    I was wandering, do you pray before you leave on calls or while in route to a call? i find myself doing that quite often and i was curious if any other firefighters/responders do that also... Thanks! -

Cody

No. I use my pnemonic for down and dirty size up... building construction, location of the fire, occupancy, water supply, manpower and exposures.

One can figure it out....
    ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
    Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

@DeputyChiefGonzo,
      I must admit i literally laughed out loud on the one! hahaha

Comment

It works for me.. who can remember all of the stuff in WALLACE WAS HOT or COAL WAS WEALTH at 0300 hours or anytime for that matter?
        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by futurefireman94 View Post
          Hello all,
          I was wandering, do you pray before you leave on calls or while in route to a call? i find myself doing that quite often and i was curious if any other firefighters/responders do that also... Thanks! -

Cody
          It depends on who's driving.

But seriously, sometimes I do depending on the call.
          Weekly updates on the world of rope:

http://rescue2training.com/journal.html

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
            No. I use my pnemonic for down and dirty size up... building construction, location of the fire, occupancy, water supply, manpower and exposures.

I'm going to have to steal this one.

Comment

At night, I pray the Engine gets a refusal or calls for BLS before we get there.
              AJ, MICP, FireMedic
              Member, IACOJ.
              FTM-PTB-EGH-DTRT-RFB-KTF
              This message has been made longer, in part from a grant from the You Are a Freaking Moron Foundation.

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                Lucky for you I had just put my coffee down before I read that. Otherwise you'd owe me a new screen and keyboard.

Nice one, DCG!
                "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                sigpic
                The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

Originally posted by futurefireman94 View Post
                  Hello all,

Cody
                  Enroute to and/or on scene of a call??
                  Yeah, those are the times you should be doing your job and NOT relying on divine intervention.
                  Are you seriously that doubtful in your training?

Save the prayers for saying grace or once it's all done.

Comment

Nope. But I haven't said an actual prayer since I got a drivers license and could go do something else on Sundays.

That B-L-O-W-M-E size up method is awesome. Totally stealing that.
                    Even the burger-flippers at McDonald's probably have some McWackers.

Comment

we have a prayer circle in the front lawn before doing anything.

Comment

I would have rather my crew start mentally preparing themselves for the call. It's what I did. Praying is a distraction I didn't need until after the incident was complete.

I would suggest you do the same.
                        They told me if I voted for Hillary Clinton the president would be emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable. They were right. I voted for Hillary Clinton and got a president that is emotional, impulsive, and unpredictable.

I'm not saying you're stupid. I'm saying you have bad luck when it comes to thinking.

Comment

When the fire is out, I run out of the building, throw my gloves to the ground and run around pointing at the sky, just like those pro athletes after a touchdown or a basket. I only do that if I'm sure the news cameras are on me.

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
                          IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                            ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD!
                            "Nemo Plus Voluptatis Quam Nos Habant"
                            sigpic
                            The Code is more what you'd call "guidelines" than actual rules.

Comment

I am not a religious man, so no, I do not pray on the way to calls.

I agree with others that the time you are spending praying could be better served mentally preparing yourself for the tasks at hand.

If you feel the need to pray do a prayer at the beginning of your shift about what you may encounter for the day.
                              Crazy, but that's how it goes
                              Millions of people living as foes
                              Maybe it's not too late
                              To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader