• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
    Chief7203
    Border Patrol

• Capt790
    replied
    We have 2008 model year Firehawk M7s and have also had the battery life issues (but nothing with the ICM showing errors.)

MSA has a service bulletin on this. Our vendor changed out part of the electronics but we have had only a slight improvement in battery life.

We check our SCBA weekly. Write the date on the batteries when you swap them out so you have documentation on how fast the batteries are being run down. We were going through a set of batteries each month. Since they worked on them, it's a little better, but still need new batteries every 2 months or so.

If you get a solution or more info, please post here and I'll do the same.

Leave a comment:

• rrlyons
    Forum Member

• rrlyons
    replied
    We are doing a weekly check now on the packs. and we have asked and are using the recomended battery in them. we do not have the voice amplifiers just the heads up display. all it would say on the display was ER. when we have this error you are not able to turn off the packs all you can do is take the batterys out of it. we had one pack that we checked had dead batterys
    which were replaced about three days earlier I then replaced them again check everything which worked ok. I then shut the air valve off relieved the pressure and turnd the pack off put it back into the truck. about 2 hours later while still down @ the station a pass alarm started going off which it was from that same pack. it was @ this time turned on some how. so I shut it back down took it out of service while I was carrying to the table it turn back on again. which this pack is into MSA now to be checked
    is this what is happening to the other of our packs and running down the batterys ???????????????
    I was just worndering if anyone else has been having this kind of trouble with these packs.

Leave a comment:

• FiremanLyman
    Forum Member

• FiremanLyman
    replied
    We change our batteries in the ICM's quarterly, never have had a problem between battery exchanges. ICMs do enter "Error 88" often and have to be swapped out and the ICM sent back to MSA for rebuild. If you have your own airpack repair team or in an agreement with a department that does it is a simple 2 minute fix.

Leave a comment:

• GVFD5
    Forum Member

• GVFD5
    replied
    Never had a problem with our MSA firehawks. We love them in our vol. dept. The only time I have noticed battery issues is if the guys forget to turn the display off when they put the pack away. I have seen it in the heads up display and voice amplifiers on the masks as well but only if they are not turned off before being put away. I agree also that this is something that needs to be looked at more often than once a month.

Good Luck

Stay safe

FD5

Leave a comment:

• len1582
    Forum Member

• len1582
    replied
    Originally posted by rrlyons View Post
    Has anyone been having trouble with MSA SCBA's eating batteries and
    display errors?
    We put into service 12 new MMR/Firehawk 4500 PR14 packs in March of
    2008 and have been replacing batteries all the time. it seems like it has been getting worse as time goes by. we are a volunteer Dept. have around 70 calls a year (Fire & Extraction) and do a monthly maintaince check on all trucks and equipment and there are @ least 2-3 of our paks with dead batteries. and now some of the displays have error messages on them when they have that the pass does not work. we have been in contact with our salesman on this issue and they have been taking care of the error issues by takeing them in for repair. we are trying to get these paks all replaced now as we almost need a weekly check of them to be sure they will work when needed. just worndering if anyone else has had this kind of issue with MSA packs and what was done about it. I can't complain about our salesman as they are taking care of us on this but the battery issue is a crazy. we even tryed every brand of battery out there and still same out come. any know issues to bring up to MSA about?
    That's one thing you should do, a weekly check. Even every other week is better than once a month especially when you know there's an equipment issue that needs to be addressed. An axe, pike pole, even a length of hose can break at a fire, but if an SCBA malfunctions it can be life threatening.

Ask MSA what brand of battery they recommend.

The fact you don't have a very large call volume is even more of a reason to check everything more frequently. Some things don't break overnight, it might take some time. Like a battery or SCBA bottle slowly draining down.

Leave a comment:

• rrlyons
    Forum Member

• rrlyons
    started a topic MSA Airpacks & Batteries

MSA Airpacks & Batteries

Has anyone been having trouble with MSA SCBA's eating batteries and
    display errors?
    We put into service 12 new MMR/Firehawk 4500 PR14 packs in March of
    2008 and have been replacing batteries all the time. it seems like it has been getting worse as time goes by. we are a volunteer Dept. have around 70 calls a year (Fire & Extraction) and do a monthly maintaince check on all trucks and equipment and there are @ least 2-3 of our paks with dead batteries. and now some of the displays have error messages on them when they have that the pass does not work. we have been in contact with our salesman on this issue and they have been taking care of the error issues by takeing them in for repair. we are trying to get these paks all replaced now as we almost need a weekly check of them to be sure they will work when needed. just worndering if anyone else has had this kind of issue with MSA packs and what was done about it. I can't complain about our salesman as they are taking care of us on this but the battery issue is a crazy. we even tryed every brand of battery out there and still same out come. any know issues to bring up to MSA about?

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
Working...
X