Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ice!!!!!

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Originally posted by Tony4310 View Post
    We are not looking forward to the ice here lol..

    I put some salt on the truck last night and salted the hell out of the pad too.

    Wish we had a station generator....... Sadly,no money for one.
    You can get all the generators you could want thru DOD surplus. Thru state forester as a loan or thru state surplus (typicallay for small charge when you pickup/transport).

    Comment


    • #32
      Originally posted by neiowa View Post
      You can get all the generators you could want thru DOD surplus. Thru state forester as a loan or thru state surplus (typicallay for small charge when you pickup/transport).
      Departments in urban areas, at least in Missouri, Like Tony4310's department, are not allowed to participate in the FEPP or FPP programs.

      Comment


      • #33
        We're going to miss the ice, but we are going to be unusually cold, which likely will make for heating-related structure fire or two between my two departments. We were just far enough east to have the system miss us.

        Given that ice here is a significant event, we do what most have mentioned in terms of prepping gnerators and saws. If it's predicted to ne a major event, we schedule captains and chiefs for shifts at the parish EOC.
        Train to fight the fires you fight.

        Comment


        • #34
          Huh??............

          Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
          Departments in urban areas, at least in Missouri, Like Tony4310's department, are not allowed to participate in the FEPP or FPP programs.
          I don't want to Hijack, But WHAT?? That's Federal Law, they can't be cut out.
          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
          In memory of
          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

          IACOJ Budget Analyst

          I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

          www.gdvfd18.com

          Comment


          • #35
            Originally posted by FIREMECH1 View Post
            We are on the "light" side of the storm. All of you east of me, take your time and be careful.

            FM1
            The second round is just rolling in now. Snow accompanied by 30 mph winds, along with the ditches being full, it is drifting pretty heavily. I was traveling west this morning at 9 and they had already came all the way across my lane. It won't be pretty tomorrow morning. As far as runs, nothing yet on this storm. Did have one on Sunday, nothing they could do about it though. People are pretty smart in these parts.

            Comment


            • #36
              Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
              Departments in urban areas, at least in Missouri, Like Tony4310's department, are not allowed to participate in the FEPP or FPP programs.
              If they are not allowed to recieve FEPP property, they can contact the Missouri State Agency for Surplus Property, to see if they can qualify for their program. While it may cost some money to obtain generator(s) from Surplus Property, the cost would be nominal, compared to a new one.

              With Fort Leonard Wood Army installation in Missouri, there should be used generators being sent to DRMO from time to time. The Surplus Property Program should be able to screen generators from DRMO.

              Comment


              • #37
                Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                I don't want to Hijack, But WHAT?? That's Federal Law, they can't be cut out.
                In the state I live in, if a community has a population over 10,000, it is not considered rural. Therefore, the fire department/district that serves that community cannot recieve FEPP.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                  Departments in urban areas, at least in Missouri, Like Tony4310's department, are not allowed to participate in the FEPP or FPP programs.
                  I'm finding that kinda sucks, too. We have a couple of uses for those 5/4-ton trucks they have stacked up, but we're too big.

                  How's the weather your way? Old Man Winter opted to drop over a foot on us in less than 12 hours. Made it to work this morning, and might make it home tomorrow night. That's IF they open I-44 back up. Or if I can find an alternate route.

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                    I'm finding that kinda sucks, too. We have a couple of uses for those 5/4-ton trucks they have stacked up, but we're too big.
                    When the FEPP program is finally done with surplus items (vehicles, etc.), they are turned over to the GSA to sell to the general public. The items are listed on www.gsaauctions.gov.

                    Your department can bid on these vehicles. One advantage of buying these former FEPP renovated vehicles, is that they are usually already painted in fire service (red, yellow, etc.) colors.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Originally posted by FIRE117 View Post
                      When the FEPP program is finally done with surplus items (vehicles, etc.), they are turned over to the GSA to sell to the general public. The items are listed on www.gsaauctions.gov.

                      Your department can bid on these vehicles. One advantage of buying these former FEPP renovated vehicles, is that they are usually already painted in fire service (red, yellow, etc.) colors.
                      Very little Military equipment ends up on gsaauctions.gov, the best stuff comes up on http://www.govliquidation.com/ this is a company that provides the auctions under contract to DOD.

                      Insofar as a former FEPP vehicle, be very very very careful. Normally when a fire department turns them back in they are trashed.

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Originally posted by Catch22 View Post
                        I'm finding that kinda sucks, too. We have a couple of uses for those 5/4-ton trucks they have stacked up, but we're too big.

                        How's the weather your way? Old Man Winter opted to drop over a foot on us in less than 12 hours. Made it to work this morning, and might make it home tomorrow night. That's IF they open I-44 back up. Or if I can find an alternate route.

                        Heck, we got nothing. Not even a real dusting. Just cold.

                        And I was looking forward to playing in the snow!

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          We got mostly sleet here...

                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Winter storm warning downgraded to an advisory here. Some snow, some wind - leading to minor drifting. The roads are a tad iffy, but the bigger danger right now is the wind chill.
                            Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

                            Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                              Heck, we got nothing. Not even a real dusting. Just cold.

                              And I was looking forward to playing in the snow!
                              Come on over! I'm calling BS on what the NWS says. We're estimating 22" of snow. Just across the boarder the turnpike is shut down with 5-7' drifts.

                              The guys from home made it to work this morning, so I'm figuring I can actually go home this evening.

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Watching the weather here for a system that is supposed to bring us the ice, sleet and even snow on Friday.

                                Now that's a trifecta that will make things really ugly in these parts.
                                Last edited by LaFireEducator; 02-02-2011, 02:41 PM.
                                Train to fight the fires you fight.

                                Comment

                                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                                Collapse

                                Upper 300x250

                                Collapse

                                Taboola

                                Collapse

                                Leader

                                Collapse
                                Working...
                                X