Ice!!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by FWDbuff View Post
    You should be able to get a grant for one. A station Generator is essential equipment for emergency management purposes. Have your higher ups look into a homeland security grant or one of the other grants, I find it hard to believe you wouldnt get one.
    Where we are. The County was mad we got a truck grant last year. The County here wants us gone so they can develop this area and not have to share the money with the district ( they already owe us 4.6 million they won't hand over ). We found out a few years ago that every time we apply for a grant. The County calls FEMA and tries to stop us from getting any grants ( this came from 2 FEMA reps that visited a few years ago ). That is why the New York Daily News called a week ago and is doing a big story on what the County is doing to us. So believe it when I say it's hard for us to get anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony4310 View Post
      Where we are. The County was mad we got a truck grant last year. The County here wants us gone so they can develop this area and not have to share the money with the district ( they already owe us 4.6 million they won't hand over ). We found out a few years ago that every time we apply for a grant. The County calls FEMA and tries to stop us from getting any grants ( this came from 2 FEMA reps that visited a few years ago ). That is why the New York Daily News called a week ago and is doing a big story on what the County is doing to us. So believe it when I say it's hard for us to get anything.
      Sounds like a lawsuit is in order.
      "Loyalty Above all Else. Except Honor."

Comment

i beleive that your county needs to have a size 15 structure boot shoved somewhere unpleasnt sideways with no lube personally
        We walk where the devil dances... FIR NA TINE

Comment

Thank god the only ice problem I have to worry about is the lack of ice for my adult beverages (off duty of course)!!!!!!
          If your going to cry about doing the job you signed up for do us all a favor and quit, there are plenty of dedicated people standing in line for the best job in the world.

Lieutenant

Comment

I like to keep some kind of slip on or strap on traction aid handy. These just slip on over your boot and have little spikes or cleats. Fire boots are terrible on ice.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony4310 View Post
              You need to find out who at the county is sabatoging your grants. When you find out who is responsible, meet with your county elected officials (county commissioners, etc.) and tell them what happened.

This also happens in the county I live in, too. There is always grant money awarded to keep the paid county 911 and emergency management fat (salaries & benefits), but when a funding opportunity is available for a volunteer organization, it is sabatoged.

Comment

Are all your saws ready to go? How about additional resources (members' chain saws). During the ice storm here in '98 we spent a lot of time clearing roads so we could get around. The town highway crews were overwhelmed.

Roads weren't the problem. It was trees and wires. Between 8,000 and 10,000 poles came down region-wide. Many roads were blocked or restricted.

Review what you can cut and what you can't. The phone people get really upset when you cut a 100 pair fiber-optic line. They'd rather you just left it in the road and ran it over.

Once you've gotten your own generator situation figured out, consider the needs of people who may rely on power for other requirements - medical chief among them. We had people on a schedule, going from place to place to power up everything from oxygen machines to sump pumps to milking machines.

We were fortunate that most areas of the state were not affected by the storm, so many fire departments came in to assist us with generators and manpower.

After the storm FEMA funded 75% of the cost of generators. The catch is that if they need it someplace, they can come and get it. So far it's stayed right here.
                Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by FIRE117 View Post
                  You need to find out who at the county is sabatoging your grants. When you find out who is responsible, meet with your county elected officials (county commissioners, etc.) and tell them what happened.

This also happens in the county I live in, too. There is always grant money awarded to keep the paid county 911 and emergency management fat (salaries & benefits), but when a funding opportunity is available for a volunteer organization, it is sabatoged.
                  It's county council and the county executive! That is the problem! We've been fighting back best we can. We can't legally fight them sense we can't afford a lawyer.. We just want what is owed and nothing more. That money can buy us another new truck, new equipment, new fire house.

Comment

At work, the utility's (pickup trucks w/plows) are fitted with the "winter load". It's a city, so lots of narrow ally's/streets, you name it. Anyway's, 500' 3" hose, gated wye, 2 150' 1 3/4" lines, shovels, and some tools. Utility drops "butt" at the main intersection, and proceeds up the ally to the house, and essentially gets beached and all the equipment comes off. Next Engine grabs the plug, and hooks up to the "butt" to supply the lines.

We also carry extra salt on the rigs, and the Engine's get tire chains over 6" of snow/ice, otherwise the on-spots are ok. Truck Co's are so damn heavy they done ever need chains.
                    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

I bring a stocking cap to work,
                      My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                      "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                      George Mason
                      Co-author of the Second Amendment
                      during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                      Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by SPFDRum View Post
                        I bring a stocking cap to work,

Why do your stockings need a cap?

Comment

Oh Ice...It sucks. Everyone has said good things on how to handle it. When driving its all about ease. Ease in accelerating, ease in braking.

Comment

No ice here yet, but it has snowed all day and continues to snow now. We have around 4 inches of accumulation so far.

On the bright side I don't have to work until Thursday so most of this is supposed to be over with by then.

A week ago Saturday we had a dusting of snow on the interstate and from 830 am until almost noon we had several multiple vehicle accidents, most involving at least 4 cars. The temps were just right the cars driving on the dusting melted it a bit and it immediately refroze and BINGO! The road was an ice skating rink. We had multiple engines and quints and all of our med units and ambulances out as well as mutual aid in to cover and then on scene for transports. I would rather have a few inches of snow than ice any day.

Stay safe out there my Brothers and Sisters. We know what we are going to do but we can't control what that idiot coming coming up the road at us is going to do.
                            Crazy, but that's how it goes
                            Millions of people living as foes
                            Maybe it's not too late
                            To learn how to love, and forget how to hate

Comment

We had freezing rain yesterday morning, and made commuting and walking dangerous. Over 140 people admitted to the ER in 4 hours. Most by walking and falling/slipping. A bus making a turn, or trying to, couldn't. Hit a truck, and slid it into a house. Responding engine slid as well, aimed for last weekends snow bank and stopped. Then came about 1-2 inches of sleet, on top of that.
                              Still forecasted to get anywhere from 4-8 inches of snow.

This isn't our first rodeo, so we handle it the best we can. If need be, we are able to pull plow trucks off their routes to aid responding units. Chains are on with ice, or at least 2-3 inches of snow, and above.

We are on the "light" side of the storm. All of you east of me, take your time and be careful.

FM1
                              I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                              "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Why do your stockings need a cap?
                                So I don't have to comb my hair!
                                My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                                "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                                George Mason
                                Co-author of the Second Amendment
                                during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                                Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X