No announcement yet.

Paying for Dispatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well where I'm at where a combination department both volunteer and career so if the county were to "bill" us for dispatching they would also have to bill themselves. That probably wouldn't go over very well or make a whole lot of sense.

Comment

Originally posted by KanFireman View Post
      Since every one of the agencies is able to either directly tax the residents they serve or are a branch of someone with authority to directly tax the residents, paying into the cooperative just makes since. Why pay by yourself for something you aren't going use all the time, when you can share the cost with someone else in the exact same situation as you.

To the previous poster we have been operating this way for over 25 years and the entire county population is just over 6k with a similar per capita income level.

There is the rub, the taxing authority. As I pointed out, and people have made clear, every area is different. Here, the Fire Department often have no taxing authority, surviving instead on donations, subscriptions, etc. It is hard for a department bringing in 6k a year to pay for dispatching.

Data entry for the courthouse? Wow.

Comment

Thanks for all of the great answers.

It seems as though the system funding is all over the board.

Any other input as to how it is done in your area is greatly appreciated...

Comment

Originally posted by afd365 View Post
          Thanks for all of the great answers.

It seems as though the system funding is all over the board.

Any other input as to how it is done in your area is greatly appreciated...
          Can you at least tell us what state you are in?

Comment

[QUOTE=LVFD301;1244223]Can you at least tell us what state you are in?[/QUOTE

No problem, I am in California...

Comment

In my jurisdiction our dispatch charges $46 per dispatch just for Fire Depts which comes out to about $500,000 a year profit.....seems worth it.....

Comment

[QUOTE=afd365;1244232]
                Originally posted by LVFD301 View Post
                Can you at least tell us what state you are in?[/QUOTE

No problem, I am in California...
                Since you are in California, here are several statutes that you may want to research, in regard to 911 and 911 funding in your state:

CA Gov't Code Section 53100-53120
                53126-53127
                CA Revenue and Taxation Code Section 41150-41152
                41135-41142
                41030-41032
                CA Public Utilities Code Section 2891-2894-10

Comment

I don't think any agency in this area pays for dispatch as such - and I'm talking a substantial portion of NY State.

Our county dispatch covers both PD and FD for the county seat, the sheriff, 44 VFD, and since the state police monitor both their own dispatch and the sheriff's channel, they get sent out by dispatch as well.

There is usually a dispatcher assigned to city Pd, on to the county sheriff, and one to fire (both city and county), along with a primary call-taker (all positions take calls as needed, and can work any desk if that dispatcher is busy).

The PSAP is managed by the county Office of Emergency Management. The head of OEM also happens to be the county fire coordinator, and his second in command actually manages the PSAP.

There has been precious little discord over the years.

Funding comes from phone surcharges (both landline and cell) and regular county property taxes.

A local commercial ambulance maintains their own dispatch, although their rigs have county radios in them. Said service also provided EMD to the county under a contract for several years until the county dispatchers got up to speed on EMD.

A federal facility also runs its own PSAP for the installation.
                  Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Our County dictatorship....oh wait, I just answered your question!
                    A Fire Chief has ONLY 1 JOB and that's to take care of his fireman. EVERYTHING else falls under this.

Comment

Thanks Fire117, I looked those up and there is some good info..

Thanks to the others that posted also..

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X