The use of Buddy Breathers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The use of Buddy Breathers?

Does your department have Buddy Breathers attached to SCBA?

How many times have you had use your BB?

Are you talking about a RIT connection on the SCBA?
    Career Firefighter
    Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
    I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Ive used it once, in training. Id say become familiar with it during training exercises (hood over mask) and wear your gloves.. it was a fumbly mess!

Comment

EBBS? Several times (training only)...agree with Dark, training with gloves and blacked out masks is what we did.

Comment

Would REALLY appreciate input on this. We are upgrading our 2.2's. The EBBS option is around $500/unit, much more if installed after delivery. We will also be purchasing 2 RIT packs.

Comment

we have a few of them that we got with our Interspiro's. never really used them in a true life incident but numerous times in training. Very cumbersome but once u get used to it they arnt too bad. We actually carry one in with the first attack team as well for self rescue if necessary.
            sigpicWhos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Comment

RIT (Rescue Intervention Team)? The buddy breather is seperate option from the RIC fitting used to rapid fill cylinder. The buddy breather allows you to breath off your partners air until the RIT comes to rescue.

Comment

We have then on our new ISI Z-7's. We have practiced several times with them, but thankfully never used them. I would certain get that option if you can afford it at all. If a firefighter goes down or have a scba failure of some kind then there partner can give them air from his bottle right away. Other wise with out is they would have to wait till the RIT crew finds them and uses the RIT bottle and that may be to late. It a very good option they may save a life but you hope you never use.

Comment

Originally posted by volfireman034 View Post
                  We have then on our new ISI Z-7's. We have practiced several times with them, but thankfully never used them. I would certain get that option if you can afford it at all. If a firefighter goes down or have a scba failure of some kind then there partner can give them air from his bottle right away. Other wise with out is they would have to wait till the RIT crew finds them and uses the RIT bottle and that may be to late. It a very good option they may save a life but you hope you never use.
                  very good point sir
                  sigpicWhos says Fire Trucks cant be YELLOW!

Comment

We tend to use them at incidents when we need to take other services into IDLH areas on the extension mask E.G. large MVA's with a hazmat component (B double rolled with driver dead in cab etc) to get our ambo's into the scence to declare the driver as deceased so we can extract the body.
                    Last edited by BlueMtnsFF; 01-28-2011, 08:21 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

I have alot of Mixed Feelings about this one, If you are talking about the Scott EBBS system, and have a fixed air source,IE air on your aerial, then I would say get them. having the oppurtinity to be able to tie into a fixed air source is a great advantage, and IMHO worth the money.

However, If you don't have the need for plumbing into fixed air supply, then No. ( i expect to get ragged on about this)

If your partner is low on air, Chances are good, so are you. If you Tie your SCBA's together you have just doubled the problem. Now instead of you being a potential rescuer, you are another potential victim.

The best thing is Early identification that you are in trouble and dropping a may-day. That doesn't mean you Can't continue to self extricate, but remember your burning 1 firefighter's amount of air at twice the speed. For everyone firefighter that goes down it takes 12 (on average) to remove that person from danger. If 2 go down..... well you get the idea.

That being said, I know the people beside me And i know that i would try to do everything i could to keep them going home at the end of the night. But I Don't like the concept of Buddy breathers, Would i use one if i had to, yes. But i think the money would be better spent in training to keep your selves outa that situation, and your RIT crew to handle a situation like that.
                      Courage, Being Scared to Death and Saddling Up anyways.

Comment

We have them on or survive airs. We train with them on a regular bases (blackout mask and gloves). I do not know of a time that it has been used on an actual incident. For our packs it is a small pouch on the belt straps. Doesn't really get in the way or weight to much.

I personally think they are worth it if you have the extra money laying around. If not i would think a rit pack is higher on the priority list. To me it would be used to buy those couple of mins it takes until the rit team gets to you and your partner.

As bushwacker said above the hope is to never have the need to use it. Training is the key to air managment. The EBBS does not give you the ablity to stay longer or anything like that. It just gives you another option when you are 4th and 10.

They are better then the old clear plastic tubes between face mask

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                          I have alot of Mixed Feelings about this one...
                          Thanks Bushwhacker, well said. Money aside (and no, we're not rolling in it!), I feel the same about drawing down the air from two FF's. I agree 100% that we must train to prevent getting ourselves into that situation.

I think having them installed does afford another option and again, training is key.

Comment

Originally posted by GTRider245 View Post
                            Are you talking about a RIT connection on the SCBA?
                            I thought the RIT connection was different? On our SCBA's the RIT connection is on the back next to the regulator coming hooked to the bottle. My understanding is that the RIT connection is for filling the bottle without having to remove it, e.g., a firefighter is running low on air so you can hook your RIT connector to his with the hose in the pouch and it equalizes both bottle to the same pressue.

Isn't the buddy breathing connection on the front on the same hose as the facepiece regulator. I know on the MSA'a there is a connector coming out of the same regulator that your hose frome the facepiece regulaotor connects to and your partner can connect his face piece regulator hose to it if his SCBA has a malfuntion. I think SCOTT packs have an actual separate line that your partner can hook into next to the line going to your face piece regulator.

I'm a little foggy n it, so please, correct me if I'm wrong. But that's my understanding of how it works anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Bushwhacker View Post
                              I have alot of Mixed Feelings about this one, If you are talking about the Scott EBBS system, and have a fixed air source,IE air on your aerial, then I would say get them. having the oppurtinity to be able to tie into a fixed air source is a great advantage, and IMHO worth the money.

However, If you don't have the need for plumbing into fixed air supply, then No. ( i expect to get ragged on about this)

If your partner is low on air, Chances are good, so are you. If you Tie your SCBA's together you have just doubled the problem. Now instead of you being a potential rescuer, you are another potential victim.

The best thing is Early identification that you are in trouble and dropping a may-day. That doesn't mean you Can't continue to self extricate, but remember your burning 1 firefighter's amount of air at twice the speed. For everyone firefighter that goes down it takes 12 (on average) to remove that person from danger. If 2 go down..... well you get the idea.

That being said, I know the people beside me And i know that i would try to do everything i could to keep them going home at the end of the night. But I Don't like the concept of Buddy breathers, Would i use one if i had to, yes. But i think the money would be better spent in training to keep your selves outa that situation, and your RIT crew to handle a situation like that.
                              I'm not going to rip you brother, but one thing you're missing is that some fire departments actually have a RIT bag with a complete SCBA in it for the sole purpose of taking it to the lost/trapped firefighter and hooking it up to the RIT connection on their SCBA to give them more air in their bottle to get out. That's how Havelock has it set up anyway. That's the main advantage I see to having the connection. That way you're not having to do an extremely difficult and risky hazardous invironment bottle change with limited to no visibility as it is.

But, as always, there are pros and cons to everything. It's just making sure that the personel using the equipment has the training to use it.
                              Last edited by firefightinirish217; 01-30-2011, 12:16 AM.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X