No announcement yet.

North Carolina truck hit by car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just a quick comment here....I did not start this thread to talk about the driver. I started it to get guys to notice the back of the truck and the lighting situation. Had hoped it would generate some discussion/thought/ideas on that.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
      Just a quick comment here....I did not start this thread to talk about the driver. I started it to get guys to notice the back of the truck and the lighting situation. Had hoped it would generate some discussion/thought/ideas on that.
      Bones, if people dont see the flashing lights, reflective tape or the bright scene lights, I'm not sure there is a whole lot more we can do. If there is, I sure cant think of it.

Its been questioned if drivers are being "blinded" by the bright lights. That may be, but common sense would tell you to slow down since you cant see. But I guess for some folks its hard to slow down when yout texting or drunk. How do we solve this? I dont know. Stiffer laws?

Comment

To add to this a little more, this is why it is critical to position your apparatus the correct way when on the highway. And sometimes maybe its not a bad idea to have a "blocking" engine or truck on scene either if your on the highway. Just my $0.01.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
          I like to keep the lights at the rear offsetting in colors (red/blue upper rotators- blue/red mid level strobes). Seems to be effective so far.
          We only have 4 right now (3 more coming) with the chevrons. I don't care for them. They look like they would be a magnet, rather than a deterrent.

Spot lights are not normally used on the rear of the rig for MVA's on the streets. Too easy to blind on coming vehicles. It also distorts what the drivers see, even if they are spotting the ground.

As for arrow sticks, we don't spec them on the rigs, just med units. Not sure why.

As long as you have a minimum of 4 emergency lights with offsetting colors and heights, there isn't a whole more that can be done to stop the stupidity.

FM1
          I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
          "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

It is a tough subject to know what is right and what is reasonable. You would think the more lights and colors the more people would take caution, but apparently people either ignore in their rush to get to where they are going or are distracted by whatever else. Some think that the lights can be blinding but that would indicate that these people that are blinded ignore the common sense to slow down. We go with the arrow bar and 2 rotators up high and 2 flashers down low. Not much for reflectors on the back but some departments around have more in that area. Most MVAs we are on there is going to be multiple emergency vehicles and the sheriff officers do a good job of stopping or deverting traffic when needed. I still lean towards minimal lights on the rear and hope they pick up on something red flashing and slow down and not distracted by to many lights or reflectors in their face.

Comment

I have seen where too many lights etc have caused more of a distraction.....and the rear spotting lights, YES they do tend to blind a driver....

What I think I would like to see is more use of an arrow board/stick - people are used to seeing those on roadways and know what they mean 'something boring is going on' - vs. a 'christmas tree' that they want to rubberneck at.......

And, I know you just can't fix STUPID!.......I had flared off an exit ramp one night - I was working my paid EMS job and we came across an accident and sheet of ice road/ramp - so I went up to the start of the ramp and put, I don't know...at least a half dozen flares across to close the ramp.....next thing I know some IDIOT had driven around/OVER the flares and was sliding down the ramp at me!.......

Comment

Don't even get me going on the amount of money we FD's have to spend trying to control something that totally depends on whether or not the other individual is paying attention! No amount of lights, stripes, blinkers, arrows, etc. will make anyone "pay attention". Especially if they're drunk, drugged, texting, shaving, putting on lipstick, on the phone, reading.......etc.
                Putting more bad money after bad is an understatement! I can do a lot with an extra 5-10,000 dollars besides play games with unattentive motorists.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                Working...
                X