North Carolina truck hit by car...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• North Carolina truck hit by car...

On front page of fh.com, shows a short story about a car driving into the back of a North Carolina engine.

http://www.firehouse.com/news/top-he...blocking-scene

When looking at the 4 pictures posted, the last picture shows a fairly good shot from the rear.

Engine has lights on and NFPA striping on the rear. In the picture, it is actually hard to see the striping due to the amount of lighting off the rear of the engine.

Is anyone noticing that on the backs of their engines?

No, I'm not blaming/accusing/etc. Just noticed it in the picture.
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Excellent point, Bones. It's one reason I've always encouraged less lights on the back - make them larger, with a slower flash pattern. Not only does this convey (IMO) a better "slow down" message, but it also allows the chevrons to be seen better, if the rig is so equipped.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Perhaps its just me but the light I find the hardest to deal with is the white high scene light shining directly to the rear of the apparatus. I know it isnt always a possiblity but we should be trying to keep the white light from shining on the road to the front or the rear of the vehicle. White light blinds people and obscures anything that is darker than it. Just my opinion.
      Shawn M. Cecula
      Firefighter
      IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

I've come to the conclusion that no matter what you do to the back of the rig, some idiot will hit it.
        We have gone from barely nothing as far as rear lights, to rivaling the Jumbotron in Times Square, yet rigs are still getting hit. It's getting to be worse money thrown after bad....
        My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
        George Mason
        Co-author of the Second Amendment
        during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
        Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Does anyone really think the reason rigs get hit is because they cant be seen??? You can make them as visible (and as expensive) as you want, but the distracted/drunk/dumb driver will still hit you. I don't think any committee of superstars issuing unfunded mandates will change anything except the bottom line. Position the rigs to protect the members and cross your fingers...
          Just a typical moronic, childish, idiotic munchkin.

Comment

AS whocares stated, visibility isn't the problem, it's the idiots driving and not paying attention or being drunk. If they don't notice a crap load of lights flashing, the chevrons aren't gonna help much.

Comment

And I hope everyone wears vests. Jiminy Christmas! everyone tell me you are wearing vests! How could these be left out of the topic! Vests!

Comment

Vests are the least of the worries..Lol if they can't see a big red fire truck with flashing lights..You rly think their going to see a bright yellow vest?Lol

Comment

I'll wear mine and roll the dice, rather than the other way around.
                  Career Fire Captain
                  Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

just got this in my regular email today........it is about 30 mins north of us in Michigan ...
                    http://www.wxyz.com/dpp/news/local_n...g-taxpayers%3F
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

Originally posted by firefightinirish217 View Post
                      AS whocares stated, visibility isn't the problem, it's the idiots driving and not paying attention or being drunk. If they don't notice a crap load of lights flashing, the chevrons aren't gonna help much.
                      Pretty much to the point....all the extra $$$ on lights and chevron painting being possibly wasted?
                      "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1 View Post
                        just got this in my regular email today........it is about 30 mins north of us in Michigan ...
                        I hope the judge humiliates this man right out of the court room.

Comment

I hope the judge humiliates this man right out of the court room.
                          I hope so. Maybe there are some common sense Judges there, but......
                          Unfortunately, in Minnesota, this type of parasite always comes out on top. Even with a history of infractions, the liberal courts always manage to make these types a victim....
                          My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
                          "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
                          George Mason
                          Co-author of the Second Amendment
                          during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
                          Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by Weruj1 View Post
                            I can't even begin to imagine that any jury in this fair country would award this idiot any compensation for his stupidity. But then again I've been wrong before!

Comment

Wow, just wow. Where to start on that story! He is disabled but he is driving and walking. The way the truck is sitting on an angle there was plenty of room to get around the truck if you were not sliding around a corner. Pickup on slick road the back end has a tendency to lose traction being so light. He was going fast enough where the cop directing traffic from the opposing direction was getting out of the lane prior to the crash. The township needs to sue this idiot for damages to the truck if he is suing for himself being an idiot and blaming it on the firefighter. This stuff justs gets to me. Everyone suing for everything that happens and blaming it all on someone else instead of taking responsibility for being stupid.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X