Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fire escapes and construction type relation

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Fire escapes and construction type relation

    I know if a building has a fire escape then odds are the building is not fire resistive, does this rule hold true on high rise buildings as well? In my city we have buildings that are over 15 stories tall but also has a fire escape, I have a hard time imagining that this building is not fire resistive construction.

    Also do you guys have any other tricks that help distinguish tricky building construction types?
    Last edited by Dibbs12; 01-25-2011, 05:22 PM.

  • #2
    Are you asking about enclosed stairs or exterior stairs

    Most interior carry a one or two hour shaft rating

    It will depend on what year the building was built and what building code was in use
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

    Comment


    • #3
      Exterior Stairs

      Comment


      • #4
        question should have been on the exterior stairs if they are totaly enclosed, paritaly enclosed, or wide open, but it really does not matter.


        ""we have buildings that are over 15 stories tall but also has a fire escape, I have a hard time imagining that this building is not fire resistive construction""

        is this an older building?????

        """"Also do you guys have any other tricks that help distinguish tricky building construction types"""""

        pre fire plan already built buildings, and visit construciton sites as new buildings go up!!!!!!!!!!!!
        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

        Comment


        • #5
          In NYC those are usually Class II construction and top out in the mid teens and can be as high as low 20s.

          The interior stairs can be open wells with ornate curving stairs as one interior stair case with other stairwells in other wings.

          They have mostly fire restive features, steel beams and columns, terra cotta and concrete but also with much flamable substructure, flooring, joists, wall studs, partition walls, heavy plaster...etc.

          They can also be fire towers on buidlings as new as the 1980s I believe.

          I'm not sure if you mean fire escapes or exterior open metal staircases which project from a building. They are two different things altogether.

          Not sure what exactly you are refering too. Have any photos.

          FTM-PTB

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
            In NYC those are usually Class II construction and top out in the mid teens and can be as high as low 20s.

            The interior stairs can be open wells with ornate curving stairs as one interior stair case with other stairwells in other wings.

            They have mostly fire restive features, steel beams and columns, terra cotta and concrete but also with much flamable substructure, flooring, joists, wall studs, partition walls, heavy plaster...etc.

            They can also be fire towers on buidlings as new as the 1980s I believe.

            I'm not sure if you mean fire escapes or exterior open metal staircases which project from a building. They are two different things altogether.

            Not sure what exactly you are refering too. Have any photos.

            FTM-PTB
            Here is the picture of one of the buildings. I would have assumed a fire escape and an exterior open metal staircase were the same thing, what is the difference? The building was built in 1910.
            Last edited by Dibbs12; 01-25-2011, 09:24 PM.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Dibbs12 View Post
              Here is the picture of one of the buildings. I would have assumed a fire escape and an exterior open metal staircase were the same thing, what is the difference? The building was built in 1910.
              Looks like a Fire escape on a commercial building. Most of the ones I'm familiar with here are on Residential buildings of similar height (usually larger that the one pictured) Or former or current Hotels.

              They are of the same vintage as the one you have pictured here.

              I'll bet there is only one interior staircase assuming it was commercial, the more floor space the better.

              A fire tower would have two doors on each landing and no stairs between the two and a stair case would have usually columns supporting the framework of the full size steel structure...not cantalivered like the one above.

              I'll bet a little research into your city's building code history would tell you why this was allowed/reqirired and or chosen for this building.

              FTM-PTB

              PS- Is that an exterior standpipe? I would hope your procedures don't allow the primary line to be stretched into the fire floor from this fire escape? That is one thing we don't do unless it is the ONLY option and that is operate from an exterior stair or fire tower.
              Last edited by FFFRED; 01-25-2011, 08:46 PM.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by FFFRED View Post
                Looks like a Fire escape on a commercial building. Most of the ones I'm familiar with here are on Residential buildings of similar height (usually larger that the one pictured) Or former or current Hotels.

                They are of the same vintage as the one you have pictured here.

                I'll bet there is only one interior staircase assuming it was commercial, the more floor space the better.

                A fire tower would have two doors on each landing and no stairs between the two and a stair case would have usually columns supporting the framework of the full size steel structure...not cantalivered like the one above.

                I'll bet a little research into your city's building code history would tell you why this was allowed/reqirired and or chosen for this building.

                FTM-PTB

                PS- Is that an exterior standpipe? I would hope your procedures don't allow the primary line to be stretched into the fire floor from this fire escape? That is one thing we don't do unless it is the ONLY option and that is operate from an exterior stair or fire tower.
                Thanks for the reply, yea that is an exterior standpipe, we have them all over but we don't use them.

                Comment

                300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

                Collapse

                Upper 300x250

                Collapse

                Taboola

                Collapse

                Leader

                Collapse
                Working...
                X