Getting on the truck

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting on the truck

So i was wondering if in your Volunteer Fire Dept if you let guys that are not done with fire school on the fire truck if there is room. what i saying is if there is open seats when going to a fire and there is an open seat and a non ceritfied guy there that is going thru school do u let him on the truck to help out the driver. like hooking to the hydrant stretching lines etc.

Yes, if the seat is open, they can ride in my department. All departments are different though.
    Career Fire Captain
    Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

If there is a seat open, yes they can go. Typically they won't get turnout gear unless they can at least be a "gopher". Doesn't take much training to have someone carry a ladder or a generator.

Comment

We allow probies to ride the engine before completing FF1 and our training program, but we do still have minimum requirements. In additon to the basic CPR, they have to demonstrate that they know where everything is on the engine and demonstrate that they know how to lay out and connect to the hydrant.

Comment

To answer the question ...

Yes.

The first 7 weeks may ride and they will simply be an observer as they will not have PPE.

After 7 weeks they will start to activly participate at training, be issued PPE and will get thier Probationary Member Skills Checklist. They will continue to function primarily as an observer, however, the may be asked to participate in non-hazardous exterior operations as part of the learning process.

In my previous department, new members were not allowed to ride until they successfully completed our 50-hour introductory course. They were expected to respond to the station cold and were expected to assist in clanup/repacking operations.
          Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

In my department once you have a county physical you are aloud to ride on a truck in an open seat. These folks are to observe, direct traffic, be "gophers", and doing anything that is asked of them that they know how to do...... We used to have issues with probies and red tags refusing to get out of the trucks (because they were there first) so a green tag could go..... this problem was taken care of as soon as it was brought to the chiefs desk.....

Comment

you can ride but you are restricted to fetching tools, watching, hang around the truck watch what we do etc.

Comment

At Dalton that is how it is done, actually the recruits are assigned to the right rear facing seat and they are the hydrant man. I was a hydrant man for four months because I got hired October 30th and didn't start recruit school until April 2nd the following year.

The same goes for Havelock where I volunteer now. Until I get my JPR's (Job Performance Requirements) signed off I have to be the hydrant man and engineer helper. At least I'm not having to go through their probie school though, so it won't take as long to get back into a full duty status.

Comment

I don't know what the he** you guys are talking about but its funny as shi+

Comment

yes you can here
                    IACOJ both divisions and PROUD OF IT !
                    Pardon me sir.. .....but I believe we are all over here !
                    ATTENTION ALL SHOPPERS: Will the dead horse please report to the forums.(thanks Motown)
                    RAY WAS HERE 08/28/05
                    LETHA' FOREVA' ! 010607
                    I'm sorry, I haven't been paying much attention for the last 3 hours.....what were we discussing?
                    "but I guarentee you I will FF your arse off" from>
                    http://www.firehouse.com/forums/show...60#post1137060post 115

Comment

People without their certifications can ride here, but lose their seat if there are enough certified people.

We encourage those going through EMT school or about to start it to ride in the ambulance to the hospital to get some experience.
                      ------------------------------------
                      These opinions are mine and do not reflect the opinions of any organizations I am affiliated with.
                      ------------------------------------

Comment

And to kind of act like I am on topic....

In the matter of Explorers riding the rig, it will depend on state law and the insurance provider for the department. The States I have worked in didn't allow anyone under 18 to ride, fight fire, walk onto a scene, or use rescue tools...

Times have changed since I started.
                        Last edited by webteam; 01-21-2011, 05:44 PM. Reason: Removing Off-Topic Items
                        HAVE PLAN.............WILL TRAVEL

Comment

Well..........

To answer the O.P. - You may start riding here after you finish VRS which is a 30 some hour course in VERY Basic stuff, AND after you have CPR and Haz Mat Awareness. You will wear a Red Helmet, and ride only if there is a seat open. You will be the Gopher, and sit outside between assignments. Once the IC has ruled that the Scene is no longer an ILDH Atmosphere, you can help with overhaul, at the OIC's Direction.
                          Last edited by webteam; 01-21-2011, 05:46 PM. Reason: Removed response to off-topic post
                          Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                          In memory of
                          Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                          Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

For us you have to go through the basic 16 hour course before you can ride on the truck, and like others you are not allowed into IDLH until you have the 64 hour basic, and then finally after you have your live burn you can make interior. Or you can go through the academy and get it all. We have yellow helmets for the probies and black for the firefighters and red officers to help distinguish.

Comment

Yes, we do.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...