Uncertified Firefighters

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uncertified Firefighters

We have a major problem in are fire department and since most of the conventional methods have failed I’m turning to the wisdom of others for help. We have 3 individuals in are fire dept. that have never taken their basic firefighter certification and at least 8 who have allowed there certification to expire however they continue to impersonate firefighters and respond on calls we even tried taking it too court in part of a law suit and filing a complaint with the division of EMS and so far we have had no luck in finding anyone to enforce the law and protect the rest of us from the danger that untrained firefighters pose. Below is a link to the ORC which outlines the firefighter qualifications for a firefighter in Ohio. Please guys I’m looking for any and all suggestions and avenues to help end this major safety issue.

http://codes.ohio.gov/orc/3737.66

Originally posted by Station32 View Post
    We have a major problem in are fire department and since most of the conventional methods have failed I’m turning to the wisdom of others for help. We have 3 individuals in are fire dept. that have never taken their basic firefighter certification and at least 8 who have allowed there certification to expire however they continue to impersonate firefighters and respond on calls we even tried taking it too court in part of a law suit and filing a complaint with the division of EMS and so far we have had no luck in finding anyone to enforce the law and protect the rest of us from the danger that untrained firefighters pose. Below is a link to the ORC which outlines the firefighter qualifications for a firefighter in Ohio. Please guys I’m looking for any and all suggestions and avenues to help end this major safety issue.

I think you need to do your homework some more.

If the 3 who are not certified have less than a year on, there is no violation.

I do not know of any state laws, nor does that law that you referenced state anything about firefighter certification expiring and the "Division of EMS" wouldn't have anything to do with that anyway.

Sounds to me like you are talking about EMT certifications which is a whole other beast. Ultimately, no one on here can do much about it anyway. My advice is to have someone proof read your letter before you send it anywhere and make sure you have a clue what you are talking about.
    RK
    cell #901-494-9437

Management is making sure things are done right. Leadership is doing the right thing. The fire service needs alot more leaders and a lot less managers.

"Everyone goes home" is the mantra for the pussification of the modern, American fire service.

Comments made are my own. They do not represent the official position or opinion of the Fire Department or the City for which I am employed. In fact, they are normally exactly the opposite.

Comment

Fire them, take back their gear, then have them removed from the scene as civilians interfering with an emergency operation if they continue to respond.

Doesn't seem too difficult to me if that's what required to be a firefighter with your department.

Comment

Or you could just take them out back of the station & string um up .

Comment

I know we've only known each other four weeks and three days, but to me it seems like nine weeks and five days. The first day seemed like a week and the second day seemed like five days. And the third day seemed like a week again and the fourth day seemed like eight days. And the fifth day you went to see your mother and that seemed just like a day, and then you came back and later on the sixth day, in the evening, when we saw each other, that started seeming like two days, so in the evening it seemed like two days spilling over into the next day and that started seeming like four days, so at the end of the sixth day on into the seventh day, it seemed like a total of five days. And the sixth day seemed like a week and a half. I have it written down, but I can show it to you tomorrow if you want to see it.
          IAFF

Comment

And.........

I'd Help you if I could, BUT, you need to know a bit more about this place we call "The Forums". Those of us here represent a lot of years of experience, and most of us have some common sense as well. Our "People Skills" vary a bit (I'm being VERY kind to a few, especially Snowball) but most aren't that bad. A major point is that we're from all 50 States and more than a few Foreign Countries.

If you ask a Question about a legal point in Ohio, those of us that have no background in Ohio won't be of much help. I'm not saying that you shouldn't look for help, just that it may not appear........ Personally, I'd like to know more about this situation, there seems to be more to it........
            Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
            In memory of
            Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
            Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Where is the Cheif?

Comment

Originally posted by ChathamVFD9921 View Post
                Where is the Cheif?
                Good answer!

If those members not meeting your jurisdiction's minimum standards are allowed to operate in a capacity that they are not trained/certified to do, then THEY have recourse against you if/when they are injured. Additionally, the public and the media would have a field day with this when someone (FF and/or civilian is seriously injured or killed and/or property is damaged).

Take decisive action now. Remove them from any capacity that they are not trained/certified to fulfill.
                DFW

"There's no such thing as a free lunch."

Comment

If they are volunteers, you can get a "Cease and Desist Order", or even a "restraining order" to keep them out and away.

FM1
                  I'm the one Fire and Rescue calls, when they need to be Rescued.

Originally posted by EastKyFF
                  "Firemens gets antsies. Theys wants to goes to fires. Sometimeses they haves to waits."

Comment

Originally posted by ChathamVFD9921 View Post
                    Where is the Cheif?
                    He is not leistening.
                    I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

You took it to court?

There is a lot more to this story than you are telling us.

Where is your Chief in all of this?

Comment

There is a huge story behind this some including possible fraud in a FEMA grant which the US inspector general is looking into and were not supposed to discuss details of.

Little more detail The chief is one of the folks who's certification has expired, In the State of Ohio The division of EMS is responsible for issuing and overseeing fire certification and they do have an expiration date and require you to complete con-ed and renew your certification. Secondly those who never obtained certification have been members anywhere from 4 years to 10 years. Right now a majority of the department is untrained individuals and so that prevents us from removing them. Everyone says that its a liability but no one is willing to do anything unless someone gets hurt or killed. Typical mentality of being reactive instead of proactive.

Comment

There is a huge story behind this some including possible fraud in a FEMA grant which the US inspector general is looking into and were not supposed to discuss details of.

Little more detail The chief is one of the folks who's certification has expired, In the State of Ohio The division of EMS is responsible for issuing and overseeing fire certification and they do have an expiration date and require you to complete con-ed and renew your certification. Secondly those who never obtained certification have been members anywhere from 4 years to 10 years. Right now a majority of the department is untrained individuals and so that prevents us from removing them. Everyone says that its a liability but no one is willing to do anything unless someone gets hurt or killed. Typical mentality of being reactive instead of proactive.

Who runs your department? An elected board? A city or township?

Comment

Its a private company with an elected board of officers.

Comment

They would be the ones with the power to do something then

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X