Probie question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Probie question...

Hey guys/gals, I am fairly new to my dept (3 months) and wondering why FF's refer to the stations with the "s" after the the number. Example: "25's" I was going to ask a senior FF but figured I would ask here first. Thanks in advance!

Gb1k's House?

25's Station or 25's for short
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZdEH...e_gdata_player

Comment

13's house....24's first in...etc.
      Career Firefighter
      Volunteer Captain

-Professional in Either Role-

Originally posted by Rescue101
      I don't mind fire rolling over my head. I just don't like it rolling UNDER my a**.

Comment

Generally, it indicates what apparatus is housed there.....Eng 25 is housed there - so it is 25's house...etc.....

Comment

Originally posted by gb1k View Post
          Hey guys/gals, I am fairly new to my dept (3 months) and wondering why FF's refer to the stations with the "s" after the the number. Example: "25's" I was going to ask a senior FF but figured I would ask here first. Thanks in advance!
          We dont. At all. Going to 13...Detailed to 19...Richard Head works at 14.

Comment

We don't use the plural either.
            Career Fire Captain
            Volunteer Chief Officer

Never taking for granted that I'm privileged enough to have the greatest job in the world!

Comment

Originally posted by BoxAlarm187 View Post
              We don't use the plural either.
              That would be the posessive. Plural indicates multiples, posessives have the 's.
              Shawn M. Cecula
              Firefighter
              IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Originally posted by gb1k View Post
                I was going to ask a senior FF but figured I would ask here first. Thanks in advance!
                Do not take this the wrong way.

You have the chance to ask somoene from your department, who understands why the department does things and understand its' traditions.

Instead you feel it is better to log onto an international forum, whose members have NO idea where you are from, what department it is in question, and most likely do it completely different than your department.

Ask yourself, did that make any sense?
                Co 11
                Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnVBFD View Post
                  no's

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

You have the chance to ask somoene from your department, who understands why the department does things and understand its' traditions.

Instead you feel it is better to log onto an international forum, whose members have NO idea where you are from, what department it is in question, and most likely do it completely different than your department.

It probably did at the time. Not wanting to seem foolish about something simple. Give the kid a break. Wait until his 10th post or so...then kick him in the gonads.

Comment

Here we go again. Some poor new guy asks a simple, honest question and he gets sh*t on.

Comment

Originally posted by THEENGINEGOES View Post
                        Here we go again. Some poor new guy asks a simple, honest question and he gets sh*t on.
                        I'm sorry I hold common sense to a much more valued level.

And if you call that "$hit on" you must have paper thin skin.
                        Co 11
                        Virginia Beach FD

Amateurs practice until they get it right; professionals practice until they cannot get it wrong. Which one are you?

'The fire went out and nobody got hurt' is a poor excuse for a fireground critique.

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
                          Wait until his 10th post or so...then kick him in the gonads.
                          Yea but then it's no fun. Plus as Sean Avery pointed out, its "seconds"
                          Co 11
                          Virginia Beach FD

Comment

If I were you, which I am not, I would have asked the Officer of my company or some of the members in the company about it.

For what it's worth, I always said I 'll being working at 5 Engine or 3 Truck the next day, if I was detailed out, to my wife. Just in case she would want to know!
                            Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by len1582 View Post
                              We dont. At all. Going to 13...Detailed to 19...Richard Head works at 14.
                              Funny guy here.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X