Washer/Extractor

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Washer/Extractor

Hey guys! Quick question. We have purchased our first washing machine/extractor for washing our turnout gear. The directions on this machine say to fill the base (a steel box that is about 8 -10" deep) with concrete. I was wondering if some of you that have machines like this could tell me if that is REALLY needed. Our plans were to achor it to the floor through the concrete floor. Just thought I would get some advice here too. Thanks!

Stay Safe

FD5
    "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

Originally posted by GVFD5 View Post
    Hey guys! Quick question. We have purchased our first washing machine/extractor for washing our turnout gear. The directions on this machine say to fill the base (a steel box that is about 8 -10" deep) with concrete. I was wondering if some of you that have machines like this could tell me if that is REALLY needed. Our plans were to achor it to the floor through the concrete floor. Just thought I would get some advice here too. Thanks!

Stay Safe

FD5
    how thick is the floor slab in your station? Most are no more than 4-6 inches. The manufacturers installation instructions should be followed. Go look in a commercial Laundromat , theirs will be mounted into a concrete pedestal, for a reason. Commercial extractors produce a lot of torque and will move and possibly tip if not mounted properly.
    Failure to follow manufacturers instructions could void the warrantee.

Comment

Yes...

When we built the new station we had to have a 12" thick pad poured to accommodate the new extractor. IIRC extractors spin at 3-4 times the speed of conventional washing machines hence the need for the additional support.

Comment

Thanks guys. We will be pouring concrete! I appreciate the inputs
        "EVERYONE GOES HOME... ALWAYS"

"Let no mans ghost come back to say his training let him down."

Comment

I watched ours when it was installed and they def used the concrete. It does spin like crazy so like everyone else has said you should.

I love ours btw

Comment

I have heard that an unsecured extractor with an unbalanced load is quite a menacing sight when it starts dancing around during the spin cycle.....

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2203 View Post
              I have heard that an unsecured extractor with an unbalanced load is quite a menacing sight when it starts dancing around during the spin cycle.....
              My home washing machine does that. I can imagine what a "high horsepower" machine like an extractor would do.

And, as I recall, there is a concrete block already installed in my home washer...
              Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Originally posted by LFD2203 View Post
                It's also loud.... wicked loud!
                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

My dept purchased a soft mount Continental brand machine a few years ago on a grant. All we had to do was add in a 3" drain for this, and it was ready to go. No drilling into the floor or having to pour an extra pad. And I can't say it has moved from where we set it down.
                  IACOJ
                  Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
                  http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

Does that contintental have a true extractor built into it? Not spin cycle, but a true extraction mode.

I would not want one without a hefty anchor

Comment

Unbalanced loads can cause damage, mmkay:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TqBS...eature=related

Comment

LVFD, it does have the true extraction. We had to go with the non-bolt down model due to having heating coils in the floor, and no way to get around them.
                        IACOJ
                        Stopping controlled burning DOES NOT stop the burning, only the control!
                        http://www.wy.blm.gov/fireuse/fums.htm

Comment

Originally posted by RxFire View Post
                          LVFD, it does have the true extraction. We had to go with the non-bolt down model due to having heating coils in the floor, and no way to get around them.
                          You can get around that by pouring an appropriate slab on top of your floor. We were able to bolt ours down(no in floor heat) but there are USUALLY alternative mounting methods. T.C.

Comment

Me and my ex used to pile wet towels in one side of the washer to get it out of balance and "do laundry" - the new self balancing ones ruined that -I bet an extractor would be a ride.
                            ?

Comment

Originally posted by GVFD5 View Post

Stay Safe

FD5
                              Why the heck isn't the supplier installing it? That is "normal". Eliminates all the issues when you have warranty work come up. Sometimes cheapest isn't least expensive.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X