No announcement yet.

NW LA, East Texas & South Arkansas Posters .. Weather

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

1.) People think having some sort of SUV means they know how to drive in the snow.
    This is EXACTLY what I'm talking about. On U.S. 1 in Southern Pines, NC.

Stay safe out there!
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
      And I bet you think that doesn't happen HERE. Guess again. Inexperienced wheelholder aren't unique to the South even if snow/ice is. T.C.
      Oh, i know it happens up north too, bit imagine a road full of folks who have absolutely no clue what to do once they car starts to slide.

As a damn yankee, it's sure fun to watch, as long as I'm safely away from the road.
      Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFireChick View Post

Stay safe out there!
        Yup and it's what I'm talking about. TWO wheel drive car carrier. USELESS! T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by LittleFireChick View Post

Stay safe out there!

Ummm, one of them good old boys and his 4 wheel drive truck, thinking that he is invincible to anything!!

They get stuck first as they rip and root around showing off!
          Stay Safe and Well Out There....

Always remembering 9-11-2001 and 343+ Brothers

Comment

Originally posted by CaptOldTimer View Post
            Ummm, one of them good old boys and his 4 wheel drive truck, thinking that he is invincible to anything!!

They get stuck first as they rip and root around showing off!
            What I laugh at is the people that think 4 wheel drive means 4 wheel stop. Not the case. 4 WD doesnt do a damn thing when you are going down the road sideways. We manage to get a fair amount of snow here and for the MOST part people drive smart. Its the overconfident jackwagons that make things miserable for the rest of us.
            Shawn M. Cecula
            Firefighter
            IACOJ Division of Fire and EMS

Comment

Originally posted by Lewiston2FF View Post
              What I laugh at is the people that think 4 wheel drive means 4 wheel stop. Not the case. 4 WD doesnt do a damn thing when you are going down the road sideways. We manage to get a fair amount of snow here and for the MOST part people drive smart. Its the overconfident jackwagons that make things miserable for the rest of us.
              SAY WHAT? NEVER drive FASTER than your Guardian angel can FLY,hehe T.C.

Comment

Yeah...............

Famous Last Words....... "But I have Four Wheel Drive, it should have Stopped"..... Ranks right up there with "Hey Y'all, watch this......"
                Never use Force! Get a Bigger Hammer.
                In memory of
                Chief Earle W. Woods, 1912 - 1997
                Asst. Chief John R. Woods Sr. 1937 - 2006

IACOJ Budget Analyst

I Refuse to be a Spectator. If I come to the Game, I'm Playing.

www.gdvfd18.com

Comment

Originally posted by hwoods View Post
                  Famous Last Words....... "But I have Four Wheel Drive, it should have Stopped"..... Ranks right up there with "Hey Y'all, watch this......"
                  Our standard response to the folks with their crashed yuppie BMW & Mercedes SUV's is :
                  The only thing that 4 wheel drive did for you was get you 40 yards deeper into the woods when you crashed. or off the road into the ocean.

A couple of winters ago we had a 12 yard dump truck with plow and sander body come down the hill from the mainland onto our first island just a little too fast. He ended up doing a couple 360's before hitting the guardrail and taking a swan dive down the embankment 80 feet into the ocean.

Made for quite an interesting rescue scene , and a great deep sea fishing venture the next day , once they brought a giant crane with a 150 foot stick on it.

We had the Coastguard, the state marine patrol, the state police truck squad, The state DEP, and the contractor that owned the truck, & our department , along with a dive team to get the truck rigged in 40 feet of cold ocean water.
                  Made for quite the circus show.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
                    Our standard response to the folks with their crashed yuppie BMW & Mercedes SUV's is :
                    The only thing that 4 wheel drive did for you was get you 40 yards deeper into the woods when you crashed. or off the road into the ocean.

A couple of winters ago we had a 12 yard dump truck with plow and sander body come down the hill from the mainland onto our first island just a little too fast. He ended up doing a couple 360's before hitting the guardrail and taking a swan dive down the embankment 80 feet into the ocean.

Made for quite an interesting rescue scene , and a great deep sea fishing venture the next day , once they brought a giant crane with a 150 foot stick on it.

We had the Coastguard, the state marine patrol, the state police truck squad, The state DEP, and the contractor that owned the truck, & our department , along with a dive team to get the truck rigged in 40 feet of cold ocean water.
                    And I'm sure it made for one hell of a bill for the owner of the dump truck.
                    Train to fight the fires you fight.

Comment

They don't close ANYTHING around here unless it's 12" +. Don't do many whiteouts but they're fun to watch. Over the years we've operated in some pretty SEVERE conditions,we're GOING when everyone else is PARKED. From MY perspective,black ice is the worst, get out of the truck,shut the door and watch your truck slide off in the ditch. THAT's SLIPPERY. T.C.
                      Sounds like around here. We had two days of 36 last week (broke out the shorts and got my tan on), slopped everything up, got some rain, refroze. The whole state was a damn skating rink. Don't even think about parking on a hill. It won't stay put.

Comment

Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
                        Sounds like around here. We had two days of 36 last week (broke out the shorts and got my tan on), slopped everything up, got some rain, refroze. The whole state was a damn skating rink. Don't even think about parking on a hill. It won't stay put.
                        You got HILLS? Hehe T.C.

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post

Yup, got a Crane freak who runs a service North of me. Has a BEAUTIFUL 50 Ton Century Centipede Tow truck and calls a CRANE everytime the job is over 20' off the road. Makes NO sense to me. In YOUR case,I bet Bubba(Stewart)and I could have recovered the Dump truck before the crane could get there and set up.A Crane is a TERRIBLY inefficient way to handle a wreck. A Rotator Tow truck is almost always faster and more efficient unless that truck was a LONG way out in the Ocean.

Comment

Yup, got a Crane freak who runs a service North of me. Has a BEAUTIFUL 50 Ton Century Centipede Tow truck and calls a CRANE everytime the job is over 20' off the road. Makes NO sense to me. In YOUR case,I bet Bubba(Stewart)and I could have recovered the Dump truck before the crane could get there and set up.A Crane is a TERRIBLY inefficient way to handle a wreck. A Rotator Tow truck is almost always faster and more efficient unless that truck was a LONG way out in the Ocean.
                            Was it high or low tide?
                            ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                            Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                              Was it high or low tide?
                              Went overboard at high tide [ + 12.2 ft ] wasn't till the next day they got the crane with enough stick [150 ft] from Cote in Auburn to reach out and do the lift. Tide was about 4.6 then , the truck was still sitting in 40 feet of water.

Comment

Did they get any lobsters out of the cab when they pulled the truck out? That would be a bonus!
                                ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                                Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X