FDNY sacks EMS chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
    you should stick to firefighting...weather isnt a strong suit. Nor is sarcasm.
    Wasn't being sarcastic.

I have no doubt the department did the best they could. As you yourself stated, other optional equipment is not provided. Can't do with what you don't have. Tracked vehicles would be a possible way to get around the city in the snow, but not having them takes that option away.

There are many other cities that deal with large snowfalls and traffic. Are they doing anything different that could work? Are those options feasible for FDNY? I don't know. FDNY is pretty squared away with their operations so I assume higher ups have looked at these things and made their determinations. Am I wrong on that assumption?
    "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
      Just curious, but has any other NorthEast city ever had to deal with a foot plus of snow? I'm guessing it's a somewhat regular occurrence in a few.

I'm sure the members of FDNY did the best they could with that they have.

I'd like to think that their higher ups confer with other cities (that deal more often with this) to see if things can be done better in those conditions.
      Bones: Most cities and towns north of you in New England are used to dealing with snowfalls in excess of 12 inches. The difference is in the large metro areas they don't have anywhere to push the snow to clear the streets. It needs to be hauled away.. Most NE cities have plenty of plows and then they send out the blower trucks with dump trucks to haul it away. They also aggressively put no street parking restrictions into effect so the plows can clear the streets. If your car is still on the street , it WILL be Towed to an impound lot
      What I saw in the news footage from NY city was that the majority of problem areas had cars parked on both sides of the streets so there was nowhere to push a 20" accumulation. , leaving a single narrow lane down the middle of the streets at best.

By the way , the weather guessers are calling for Jersey to get a lot more snow tomorrow than we are going to get up here in Maine.
      Last winter most of the big storms dumped on you guys and didn't have much left when they finally got to us.
      Must be this global warming thing they keep talking about.

Comment

islandfire03, I still have about a foot left in the front yard from the 12/26-27 "flurry".

Last map I saw showed 6-10" coming my way. Think of how bad all this snow would have been if it wasn't for global warming.

We've gone up north, where snow was/is more common. Talked with some departments, got some ideas, got some feedback on ideas we had. On-Spots seemed like a great idea to us, then we spoke with Depts with deep snow...found they don't work. Ok, learned something.

As I said, I'd be willing to bet FDNY have done same type of research for their area and much more. Guys on the street work with what they have been dealt with. Snow mobiles, ATV's, probably good idea in many areas...NYC not striking me as one of those areas.
        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Originally posted by islandfire03 View Post
          Bones: Most cities and towns north of you in New England are used to dealing with snowfalls in excess of 12 inches. The difference is in the large metro areas they don't have anywhere to push the snow to clear the streets. It needs to be hauled away.. Most NE cities have plenty of plows and then they send out the blower trucks with dump trucks to haul it away. They also aggressively put no street parking restrictions into effect so the plows can clear the streets. If your car is still on the street , it WILL be Towed to an impound lot
          What I saw in the news footage from NY city was that the majority of problem areas had cars parked on both sides of the streets so there was nowhere to push a 20" accumulation. , leaving a single narrow lane down the middle of the streets at best.

By the way , the weather guessers are calling for Jersey to get a lot more snow tomorrow than we are going to get up here in Maine.
          Last winter most of the big storms dumped on you guys and didn't have much left when they finally got to us.
          Must be this global warming thing they keep talking about.

They get all the snow so we can have more FISHING days. This years shrimp crop is QUITE tasty. Think I'll get the brothers at Fidney a D6 Hi sprocket. That SHOULD take care of any Snow/parking problem they run across. Might be a little slow on a cross town run. T.c.

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
            They get all the snow so we can have more FISHING days. This years shrimp crop is QUITE tasty. Think I'll get the brothers at Fidney a D6 Hi sprocket. That SHOULD take care of any Snow/parking problem they run across. Might be a little slow on a cross town run. T.c.
            Now that they've started dropping the eggs the yield is very good . We picked a tray over the weekend. always put a bunch in the freezer for summer.

Bones: You have more snow right now than us. I've got mostly grass showing in the yard.

We have on spots on our newer trucks and ambulance. They are ok up till about 8 inches and then they just don't make much difference. They do help when you get to a side road or driveway that's slick and not plowed well, and do ok on hard pack snow. We run 4 studded snows on the back of the ambulance and aggressive rear traction tires on the apparatus.
            Plus we have the ability to get dept members with plows and folks from town we can call with sanders to clear the roads for us if needed.

Comment

Wasn't being sarcastic.

I have no doubt the department did the best they could. As you yourself stated, other optional equipment is not provided. Can't do with what you don't have. Tracked vehicles would be a possible way to get around the city in the snow, but not having them takes that option away.

There are many other cities that deal with large snowfalls and traffic. Are they doing anything different that could work? Are those options feasible for FDNY? I don't know. FDNY is pretty squared away with their operations so I assume higher ups have looked at these things and made their determinations. Am I wrong on that assumption?
              I Still have no idea what you are talking about. what exactly was wrong with our ops that needed fixing?
              Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Didn't say anything was wrong with your ops. In fact, stated I was sure the guys did the best they could.

Then went on to talk about research other possible methods, which again I am fairly sure your department has.

Someone else posted earlier using snowmobiles/snowcats which can work places, but probably not in NYC. I'm sure Boston and other cities have dealt with snow levels like NYC recently experienced on a more often basis. They may have some better ideas that have been tested/tried. I'm very willing to assume that their (and other) operations in snow conditions have been looked at.

Not sure why you think I'm questioning your ops...I'm more commending your ops. As you said, there are closures of companies...snowmobiles/cats ain't happening for you. Any possible blame should be going up the ladder to the bean counters, not the FD.

Comment

Didn't say anything was wrong with your ops. In fact, stated I was sure the guys did the best they could.

Then went on to talk about research other possible methods, which again I am fairly sure your department has.

Someone else posted earlier using snowmobiles/snowcats which can work places, but probably not in NYC. I'm sure Boston and other cities have dealt with snow levels like NYC recently experienced on a more often basis. They may have some better ideas that have been tested/tried. I'm very willing to assume that their (and other) operations in snow conditions have been looked at.

Not sure why you think I'm questioning your ops...I'm more commending your ops. As you said, there are closures of companies...snowmobiles/cats ain't happening for you. Any possible blame should be going up the ladder to the bean counters, not the FD.
                  Boston only averages about 12 more inches of snow per year than us....and typically face the same amount of snowfalls greater than 12".

And Im not saying your questioning the ops....Im asking you what you are questioning/what needs fixing.
                  Last edited by nyckftbl; 01-11-2011, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Posters on here talked about using snowmobiles, snowtracks, 4x4's, etc. I posted my thoughts that FDNY did everything they could to maintain their responses to calls.

I then said I assume the FDNY higher ups have researched methods from other cities that deal with heavy snow falls more often.

I was not questioning anything. I have no idea if anything there needs fixing.

I didn't fire the EMS Chief...so someone else must have some questions on what happened since they fired him.

Please accept my apology for getting involved in a discussion.

Comment

I Still have no idea what you are talking about. what exactly was wrong with our ops that needed fixing?
                      So there was no room for improvement?

That's wonderful to hear!
                      I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                        So there was no room for improvement?

That's wonderful to hear!
                        Nice strawman...but just because I asked what he was referencing doesnt mean I dont believe there could be improvements.

Comment

Posters on here talked about using snowmobiles, snowtracks, 4x4's, etc. I posted my thoughts that FDNY did everything they could to maintain their responses to calls.

I then said I assume the FDNY higher ups have researched methods from other cities that deal with heavy snow falls more often.

I was not questioning anything. I have no idea if anything there needs fixing.

I didn't fire the EMS Chief...so someone else must have some questions on what happened since they fired him.

Please accept my apology for getting involved in a discussion.
                          Apologies then for reading into the comment about the weather (I happen to be a bit of a weather buff, so I kind of took it the as sarcastic then)...as far as I know most major cities do pretty much what we do....and more often than not (contrary to some postings here), NYC usually handles snow very well, and its not a problem.

The biggest thing that should be changed immediately is giving EMS chains for their rigs.

Comment

Nice strawman...but just because I asked what he was referencing doesnt mean I dont believe there could be improvements.
                            So chains for the rigs. Seems like a no-brainer. Is that happening?

Hell, the guy delivering my mail has "chains" on his truck.
                            I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
                              So chains for the rigs. Seems like a no-brainer. Is that happening?

Hell, the guy delivering my mail has "chains" on his truck.
                              No idea, I dont work for EMS.

Comment

anyway...ems will have new chains put on by our shops...all spare ambulances have chains now..... that by the way is new for ems.

on the fire side our mpo's and lcc's will have chains on our rigs as needed.
                                ALL GAVE SOME BUT SOME GAVE ALL
                                NEVER FORGET 9-11-01
                                CAPT. Frank Callahan Ladder 35 *
                                LT. John Ginley Engine 40
                                FF. Bruce Gary Engine 40
                                FF. Jimmy Giberson Ladder 35
                                FF. Michael Otten Ladder 35 *
                                FF. Steve Mercado Engine 40 *
                                FF. Kevin Bracken Engine 40 *
                                FF. Vincent Morello Ladder 35
                                FF. Michael Roberts Ladder 35 *
                                FF. Michael Lynch Engine 40