FDNY sacks EMS chief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Firehouse_Chick View Post
    As in Georgie W? the George from Flanders? who left the forums about a yr ago, George?

That's weird, what makes you think this? I didn't think he thought much of NYC or the dept.

I'm not him, I'm not BOU, nor scarecrow or any of the other names people suggested.

side note: not for nothin, out of all the banned persons that I supposedly am; I think the banning of Calffbou was something that shouldn't have ever happened. Don't get me wrong, as much as I don't care for many of his methods and ideas, or the odd pro-west coast musings and kicks he got into at one point, he seems to be a very nice person in real life. I've been reading FH for the past couple years. Some of the members here I've learned and gotten great laughs from, respect and like him very much as a person. Still bothers me when I think about it.
    Side Note: FH.com is not the only one who has banned Calffbou.... a few employers have also, but he still a nice guy...
    Last edited by kyle77; 01-07-2011, 11:44 PM.

Comment

Storm Response

People have to remember that during an extreme weather event (snow storm, flooding, hurricane, etc.) emergency services may be delayed or not even able to respond at all.

One solution, for any future snowstorms, is to position snowmobiles at preselected locations (firehouses, etc.) to allow EMS to respond to medical emergencies. If EMS could utilize snowmobiles, they could most likely respond anywhere in the city, when ambulances could not travel in blocked streets.

EMS personnel on snowmobiles, using portable radios and taking along certain EMS equipment and supplies, could respond to the highest priority calls (heart attacks, etc.).
      If some type of sled could be utilized to transport non-trauma patients to the closest ambulance or even to a nearby medical center, that could help with patient transport.

Comment

Originally posted by FIRE117 View Post
        One solution, for any future snowstorms, is to position snowmobiles at preselected locations (firehouses, etc.) to allow EMS to respond to medical emergencies. If EMS could utilize snowmobiles, they could most likely respond anywhere in the city, when ambulances could not travel in blocked streets.

EMS personnel on snowmobiles, using portable radios and taking along certain EMS equipment and supplies, could respond to the highest priority calls (heart attacks, etc.).
        If some type of sled could be utilized to transport non-trauma patients to the closest ambulance or even to a nearby medical center, that could help with patient transport.
        Going along with that. Alaska should know how to respond so if you get in that kind of situation Google an Alaskan fire department maybe they would be willing to give some tips.

Comment

Winter Response

A former FD that I was a member of, had a tracked vehicle. Whenever there was an impending snowstorm/blizzard, the chief would have us load the 2 1/2" spare hose off the racks into the back of this tracked vehicle. We also included a hydrant wrench and 2 1/2" nozzle. This tracked vehicle did not have a radio, so a portable radio was taken along, too.

The plan was for us to respond to any fire during the blizzard/snowstorm and fight the fire, until road crews could clean a route for the arrival of the pumpers.

We would go out in this tracked vehicle and transport people. We would go to the homes of the street dept. personnel, pick them up and take them to the street dept. building, to retireve the snow removal equipment.

Since EMS was a separate agency, I do not know what arrangement they had to respond to medical emergencies during snowstorms and blizzards. I do know the police dept. used snowmobiles to patrol the city.

While providing fire and EMS services during a snowstorm/blizzard is difficult, snowmobiles and tracked vehicles should be looked at. Also, besides carrying a portable radio, GPS should also be used to find locations.

Comment

its cute that you guys think we can go buy snowmobiles while Bloomturd is trying to close firehouses....but why dont we start with chains for ambulances?
            Proud East Coast Traditionalist.

Comment

Originally posted by nyckftbl View Post
              its cute that you guys think we can go buy snowmobiles while Bloomturd is trying to close firehouses....but why dont we start with chains for ambulances?
              I'm asking cause I honestly don't know...Could the EMS Battalions have used their SUV's (I assume they're 4x4) for some of this? I know there were better than a thousand calls in the queue, but were they doing anything? Would Gerritsen Beach or Roxbury been of any help with their 4x4 engines?
              My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

Originally posted by DaFAO View Post
                I'm asking cause I honestly don't know...Could the EMS Battalions have used their SUV's (I assume they're 4x4) for some of this? I know there were better than a thousand calls in the queue, but were they doing anything? Would Gerritsen Beach or Roxbury been of any help with their 4x4 engines?
                NO! Ever been to NYC in 12+ inches of snow? A dozen cars will ball up any attempt at snow removal and they had a LOT more than that( both snow AND cars). Snowmobiles MIGHT have worked but they would get ZERO support from the Ivory palace. T.C.

Comment

Looked from MY angle that you guys had more TROUBLE( Cars/blocked roads/streets)than any chains were going to cure. T.c.

Comment

How long would a snowmobile last down on the street while the crew is upstairs tending to Grandma?

Comment

Originally posted by RFDACM02 View Post
                      How long would a snowmobile last down on the street while the crew is upstairs tending to Grandma?
                      30 seconds without an armed guard. Assuming you want to wade thru all that snow to get it. T.C.

Comment

Just curious, but has any other NorthEast city ever had to deal with a foot plus of snow? I'm guessing it's a somewhat regular occurrence in a few.

I'm sure the members of FDNY did the best they could with that they have.

I'd like to think that their higher ups confer with other cities (that deal more often with this) to see if things can be done better in those conditions.
                        "This thread is being closed as it is off-topic and not related to the fire industry." - Isn't that what the Off Duty forum was for?

Comment

Just out of curiosity, were the ATV's like BFU154's used?
                          Be for Peace, but don't be for the Enemy!
                          -Big Russ

Learn from the mistakes of others; you won't live long enough to make them all yourself.

Originally posted by nyckftbl
                          LOL....dont you people have anything else to do besides b*tch about our b*tching?

Comment

Originally posted by Bones42 View Post
                            Just curious, but has any other NorthEast city ever had to deal with a foot plus of snow? I'm guessing it's a somewhat regular occurrence in a few.

I'm sure the members of FDNY did the best they could with that they have.

I'd like to think that their higher ups confer with other cities (that deal more often with this) to see if things can be done better in those conditions.
                            you should stick to firefighting...weather isnt a strong suit. Nor is sarcasm.

Comment

Originally posted by DennisTheMenace View Post
                              Just out of curiosity, were the ATV's like BFU154's used?
                              Yeah the brush fire units were put in service, and I believe some of the TACs too.

Comment

Just out of curiousity, do some/all of your fire or EMS pieces have OnSpot chain systems or something similar? Not that they'd get you through a foot+ of snow - or blocked intersections - but they're handy in lesser amounts.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X