Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChiefKN View Post
    Landmarks are great.. unless.

Turn right where Wumpy's farm was (that disappeared 25 years ago).
    Yes we have had the problem before. Back when my dad first started they had a call that Farmer Joe's barn was on fire. This was in the day before 911 addresses in this state. There were at the time two Farmer Joes in the district so after the call came through on the fire-bar, he called one Farmer Joe and asked if his barn was on fire. Farmer Joe said no, so they knew to go to the other Farmer Joe's.

Luckily, our drivers are usually the older guys and only the first out truck needs to know where to go, everyone else follows.

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
      I could be mistaken but from what i gathered on VOIPs, its the residents responsibility to set up emergency numbers, the cable company has no idea if VOIP is even being used much less that it needs to be redirected. If I just read it wrong and you're not even discussing this, i apologize and just use it as food for thought
      That's true if you buy an independent third-party VoIP phone service to use on your existing high-speed service. I believe the major cable players handle it for you when you buy your phone service directly from them, though. That's what is at issue - Time Warner's service provider for said process appears to be falling down on the job.

http://www.9wsyr.com/news/local/stor...nDvDM3dFQ.cspx

On the landmark issue - we're usually pretty good with the 9-1-1 addresses since they were issued by the county a few years ago and are therefore mostly consistent. Still, it's possible to go several miles between crossroads, and people have been less than efficient about properly posting their addresses, so even armed with a solid address, sometimes it's a crap shoot trying to find a house.

If the place is visibly on fire, it's no problem. If it's an investigation or an EMS call, good luck. I do hear the cops being given info like "there's a brown van in the driveway." We rarely hear that on the fire/EMS side though.

We have had the occasional problem with one intersection in particular - actually three. One state highway is crossed by another twice, a fair distance apart, and is also intersected by a county route with the same number as the second state highway. For a while, dispatch wasn't differentiating between "state" and "county" routes, which lead to some confusion. My department sat at the scene of an MVA for quite some time a while back, waiting for a patrol to arrive. He'd gone to the wrong intersection first.

Knowing your district - One neighboring fire department with a substantial amount of shoreline, often served by long driveways with the cottages out of sight from the road, used to do (and may still do - I just haven't heard it mentioned lately) an annual inventory of the buildings in those areas.

It's not unusual to be driving down a road one hasn't been on lately and discover that a nice, new house has suddenly sprouted up in the woods. Same goes for driving around in the wintertime, when the leaves are gone. All sorts of stuff pops up then...
      Opinions my own. Standard disclaimers apply.

Everyone goes home. Safety begins with you.

Comment

Regarding landmarks - when you have ones that are unmistakable, it can really help when you have a reporter who doesn't know a proper street address (such as this - http://www.10-75.net/audio/centralwarehouse102210.wav coutesy of 10-75.net) -

When I was a dispatcher, I used to use landmarks when possible, and luckily had a pretty good working knowledge of most of the County I dispatched for.

Comment

Originally posted by tajm611 View Post
          Here is a subject on which I don't feel adequate, I worked construction and for an electrician so the actual building construction is ok for me, its applying it with fire behavior I have some trouble with, DC gonz, what are some tips you can throw out there for me?
          Lightweight steel taxpayer buildings... I call them disposable buildings. Look where all the HVAC stuff is.. on the roof. If they do have a fire alarm, it's for occupant notification only. If they have a sprinkler system.. it's for the lawn...

In a multiple floor lightweight steel buildings.. remember that the steel trusses and corrugated decking are holding up concrete floors covered with tile or carpeting... when the steel weakens, it can pull the floors down with it.
          If the concrete floor is spalling, the fire is beneath you.

Roof fires are a bitch... especially with built up membrane and rain roofs.

Wood frame.. If it was built in the last 15 years, think engineered wood.. plywood I beams used for joists. OSB for the sheathing... this stuff is strong under non fire conditions... but the adhesives off gas at 300 F. and the gasses contribute to the flame spread.

Ordinary construction.. look at the condition of the mortar holding the masonry together... if it is chipped an missing, there is a good chance that when the wood flooring/roofing fails, the walls will come tumbling down. The safest position is at the corners, out of the collapse zone.

Every firehouse should have access to a copy of Brannigan's Building Construction for the Fire Service... there's a wealth of knowledge there!
          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Every firehouse should have access to a copy of Brannigan's Building Construction for the Fire Service... there's a wealth of knowledge there!
            I have a signed copy on my bookshelf - from back in the early 1990's when I met him at The Rock during a seminar.....what a wealth of knowledge he had!!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post

you have to get out there and study your districts!

The Late Frank Brannigan stated it best...

Chief Gonzo, I think you're 100% right, but I think it should apply to dispatch offices and their staffs, also. Me personally, I learn better about a street or hazard location by driving it, walking through it, or otherwise putting eyeballs on it. There is too much emphasis being placed on "...doing what the computer says..." and not enough on old fashioned pre-planning, or taking pride in getting to know the geographic area. My own opinion only, a fire dispatcher for 12 years.
              My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

Landmarks are great.. unless.

Turn right where Wumpy's farm was (that disappeared 25 years ago).
                I don't know...as long as you have old timers who remember.....my Mom's place is ~still~ referred to as 'The Sheep Farm' - although she hasn't had sheep there for at least 10 years now.....

Comment

Originally posted by DaFAO View Post
                  Chief Gonzo, I think you're 100% right, but I think it should apply to dispatch offices and their staffs, also. Me personally, I learn better about a street or hazard location by driving it, walking through it, or otherwise putting eyeballs on it. There is too much emphasis being placed on "...doing what the computer says..." and not enough on old fashioned pre-planning, or taking pride in getting to know the geographic area. My own opinion only, a fire dispatcher for 12 years.
                  When I was a county dispatcher (for 8 years)- we actually did this - took 'field trips' on the Fire/EMS side in the short bus we had available...and on the PD side we would do ride-alongs with an officer every few months.....nothing like getting out there and seeing for yourself what things look like !

Comment

Originally posted by EngineCO38 View Post
                    I think I can proudly say that we have one of the best Dispatch centers in the country. Not trying to gloat by any means, but I feel it to be somewhat true

In the past year or so our Dispatch center has been upgrading their system, as well as integrating new technologies to better assist the many many Departments they dispatch (Both career and Volunteer Departments) CAD was new to us a year ago, but now that the bugs have been worked out its an invaluable tool at our disposal.

At our station the CAD network is accessed through any computer, and is filled with just about anything you could need. Ranging from hydrant locations specific to a structure, property hazards, past call information, and special notes made during previous calls. The information we can get from it is seemingly endless. At the moment however only the chief has a Laptop in his personal Vehicle that can access this information on the road. Funds have not come down yet to provide our first due apparatus with that equipment.

Those Laptops also have a special feature that connects them in real time with the dispatch center. So when a call for our Department starts to come in, its displayed on the screen with information as its gathered all in real time. There have been a few occasions were that little feature has given us the jump on a call, and saved a few seconds on our response time.

And of course I cannot forget our dispatchers, who are always on the ball with any important information we may need. All the info we can get about our town , they already have and are looking up per the call. So if we don't get to it, they can and can relay anything important to us enroute. All in all, I think we're pretty damn lucky to have the system we do in place.
                    Southwestern New Hampshire Fire Mutual Aid? How do you feel about the simulcasting?

Comment

Originally posted by pasobuff View Post
                      When I was a county dispatcher (for 8 years)- we actually did this - took 'field trips' on the Fire/EMS side in the short bus we had available...and on the PD side we would do ride-alongs with an officer every few months.....nothing like getting out there and seeing for yourself what things look like !
                      Agreed. We've also got map books all over in here and a big map of the regional area and state mutual aid system, but some people are more curious and exploratory (is that a word? I say it is...) than others about knowing their areas. It shows and sounds in their work, and the companies know it, too.
                      Last edited by DaFAO; 01-07-2011, 01:35 PM.
                      My opinions only.

AGS-SGA 091101

Comment

Originally posted by DaFAO View Post
                        I agree with your statement 100%... I wish more FAO's would do that! I also think that FAO's should spend a day or doing ride alongs to see what the voices on the radio do... and vice versa. Firefighters will bitch about dispatch, but they have no conception as to what goes on.

Unfortunately, it all boils down to money...
                        ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                        Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                          I agree with your statement 100%
                          Did you just agree with him that you are 100% right?

You are smoooothh...

I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

Did you just agree with him that you are 100% right?

You are smoooothh...

Humility is dead, LMAO
                            Matt G.
                            Battalion Chief
                            IACOJ-Member
                            FTM-PTB

Comment

Originally posted by mtg55 View Post
                              Humility is dead, LMAO
                              Not quite. I was at the Gap once trying on underwear, you know, the boxer briefs with the junk pouch. I was probably on my third or fourth pair of sample underwear when I accidentally knocked the dressing room door open with my butt while bending over to take them off. You could hear screams, laughter, and gasps. I was humiliated. I ran out of the store and headed straight for Orange Julius before getting to my car. It was then that I realized I had hung my keys on the stupid hook in the dressing room. Feeling deflated I walked back into the store to retrieve my keys. The stares from the shoppers burned my skin. I hope you can take my advise on this, never, never, never, stand too close to the dressing room door when trying on sample underwear.
                              IAFF

Comment

Originally posted by snowball View Post
                                Not quite. I was at the Gap once trying on underwear, you know, the boxer briefs with the junk pouch. I was probably on my third or fourth pair of sample underwear when I accidentally knocked the dressing room door open with my butt while bending over to take them off. You could hear screams, laughter, and gasps. I was humiliated. I ran out of the store and headed straight for Orange Julius before getting to my car. It was then that I realized I had hung my keys on the stupid hook in the dressing room. Feeling deflated I walked back into the store to retrieve my keys. The stares from the shoppers burned my skin. I hope you can take my advise on this, never, never, never, stand too close to the dressing room door when trying on sample underwear.
                                It hurts! I can't breath! Holy crap! ROFLMAO
                                Matt G.
                                Battalion Chief
                                IACOJ-Member
                                FTM-PTB

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse