Information on Dispatch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tree68 View Post
    Just found out that we're in the middle of a problem one of the cable companies is having with there Internet-based phone service. A 9-1-1 call reporting a fire in my district was routed to a call center in Colorado instead of the appropriate PSAP here in NY, apparently with a delay of at least 44 seconds, possibly more.

The call Monday morning was for a structure fire in a building reportedly built in 1847. Odds are we were behind the eight ball from the get go, as the fire was probably already into the attic and other void spaces, but the delay didn't help any, either.
    I could be mistaken but from what i gathered on VOIPs, its the residents responsibility to set up emergency numbers, the cable company has no idea if VOIP is even being used much less that it needs to be redirected. If I just read it wrong and you're not even discussing this, i apologize and just use it as food for thought
    ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Posts such as this only reinforces one of my core beliefs for firefighters.. from the wet behind the ears probie to the grizzled old chief officer...

you have to get out there and study your districts!

The Late Frank Brannigan stated it best...

The building is your enemy... know your buildings!
      Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 01-05-2011, 11:48 AM.
      ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
      Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

A great issue. Fortunately for us, suppression and inspections get along very well. So in our premise files, much of the buildings condition and issues will be listed. Also, if there happens to be a specific target hazard, the Asst. Chief of Ops will send out a directive with what the building conditions are and fire attack options.
        But DCG hit the nail on the head, again. You MUST get out in your districts and know your buildings. We have an area where a building exploded and burned down 3 exposures. They where rebuilt to look much like the rest of the neighborhood, 3-story vics. With their look, you would assume balloon, lathe and plaster, dimensional lumber, hand framed trusses, but nope. All light weight framing and drywall. Fairly important info to have...
        Another advantage I believe, our fire comm sup. is a chief on a decent size suburban POC department. That allows him an inside view of whats truly important to the firefighter.
        My posts reflect my views and opinions, not the organization I work for or my IAFF local. Some of which they may not agree. I.A.C.O.J. member
        "I ask, Sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them."
        George Mason
        Co-author of the Second Amendment
        during Virginia's Convention to Ratify the Constitution, 1788
        Elevator Rescue Information

Comment

Originally posted by Rescue101 View Post
          AH HA! Hemmoroid on a POLICE dispatch. Ain't that ODD, same here. Same Intel stream too it seems. I feel MUCH better now. T.C.
          I feel for ya Tim: we're lucky to get sent to the proper island on a dispatch. They love to give us the directions as "cross street of rte 24. Well seeing how thats the only north south road + all roads on three islands run off of rte 24, it's a pretty safe bet. :-}

Comment

At dispatch we're given the typical address/development/Cross-street and incident type information. We also get an email to the MDT's that contains more information the dispatcher typed in based on info from the caller. We also have First Look Pro on the MDT's that allow us to enter the address and get the preplan information as well as GIS maps for that address.

The system as a whole should work well but is limited by the quality of information from the caller (as typical) and the quality of preplan for that address from our Inspection Bureau (if it exists at all).
            So you call this your free country
            Tell me why it costs so much to live
            -3dd

Comment

Other than address and nature of call we don't get much else over the pager. No MDT's for us. We are lucky if the address is even right, and dispatch is pretty good at messing up the type of call too. For instance, we got a call for a semi in the ditch, Ok nothing really major. On arrival it had gone in the ditch, rolled over 3/4 of a turn so drivers side door was in the air, and it also did a 90 degree turn so the trailer and back half of the tractor was in the field.

Not to hijack, but what are your thoughts on using "landmarks" to help guide responders to the incident. We have response area in 3 different counties all with different road numbering systems. The major highway through the area is 140th street in one county, once it crosses the line it becomes 150th street.
              The first county the East-West roads are numbered starting with 100th on the northernmost boundary and 110th next road south etc. Roads that end in 5 mean they are half-mile roads (115th street is halfway between 100th and 110th)
              In the second county the East-West roads are numbered South to North starting with 100th on the southern edge and working the way up by 10's the same with as the first county. Roads ending in 5 are the same as in the first county.
              This creates a problem with which road to go to. We have two of about every road number from 100th to 200th. (I won't even get into the third county).

We have had issues before (Actually when my sister was in an accident) where we were dispatched to XXXX 150th street in county 2, and the response went to that address in county 1.

After a few times of this happening dispatch finally started saying what county. But with accidents and stuff that never happen at an address what are your thoughts on dispatch saying a landmark. Like page would go something ...you are needed on E first street by Casey's (Local convenience store)... Everyone knows where Casey's is. Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by DeputyChiefGonzo View Post
                Posts such as this only reinforces one of my core beliefs for firefighters.. from the wet behind the ears probie to the grizzled old chief officer...

you have to get out there and study your districts!

The Late Frank Brannigan stated it best...

The building is your enemy... know your buildings!
                While I agree with you, and do we do try our best we are stuck in the real world. We go out in the district, we do tours, we snoop around on EMS and auto alarms, but this isn't the perfect world. Companies are being closed, our work load is going up, it only takes a couple ems runs or a fire and we're running first up to areas we'd be lucky to go to on the 4th alarm. I try to know the buildings I could go to, but we are talking thousands of buildings. Don't assume things, don't assume we are lazy or don't going out in the district. So you can preach about knowing your district but at 4am when we're running to the other side of the city on a run we should have never have been on notes from Fire Safety or from the first due company could really help us out. Probably even save a life. Everyone wants to preach safety, heres something that could easily help us do our job safely and it really isn't all that hard.

Comment

^this, i totally agree.
                  ‎"I was always taught..." Four words impacting fire service education in the most negative of ways. -Bill Carey

Comment

Originally posted by CGITCH View Post
                    Not to hijack, but what are your thoughts on using "landmarks" to help guide responders to the incident.
                    We have had issues before (Actually when my sister was in an accident) where we were dispatched to XXXX 150th street in county 2, and the response went to that address in county 1.

After a few times of this happening dispatch finally started saying what county. But with accidents and stuff that never happen at an address what are your thoughts on dispatch saying a landmark. Like page would go something ...you are needed on E first street by Casey's (Local convenience store)... Everyone knows where Casey's is. Thoughts?
                    Landmarks can cut both ways. Usually when given, it comes from the caller/call-taker. We have a large subway/railway complex, just below street level is basically an underground mall, which has no addressing. This covers about 15 square blocks, and it all comes in as the same address. If we get sent to "near the post office", great, we know where to go. But if we get "just outside the Dunkin Donuts" there are five DDs just in this complex, let alone however many are at street level and are being used as reference.

As for the confusing streets in your counties, there is something similar here too. Market St. cuts the city in North and South addresses. Front St. cuts the city in East and West. So 20th St crosses Market, it can be 2200 N 20th or 2200 S 20th. These are battalions or even divisions apart, let alone first due companies. Not uncommon to hear a dispatch to one, only to have incidentlocated at the other. Also not unheard of to have near simultaneous dispatches sent to each. Cross streets don't always help.
                    Opinions expressed are mine alone, and do not necessarily reflect those of the Philadelphia Fire Department and/or IAFF Local 22.

Comment

Originally posted by mrpita View Post
                      Landmarks can cut both ways. Usually when given, it comes from the caller/call-taker. We have a large subway/railway complex, just below street level is basically an underground mall, which has no addressing. This covers about 15 square blocks, and it all comes in as the same address. If we get sent to "near the post office", great, we know where to go. But if we get "just outside the Dunkin Donuts" there are five DDs just in this complex, let alone however many are at street level and are being used as reference.

As for the confusing streets in your counties, there is something similar here too. Market St. cuts the city in North and South addresses. Front St. cuts the city in East and West. So 20th St crosses Market, it can be 2200 N 20th or 2200 S 20th. These are battalions or even divisions apart, let alone first due companies. Not uncommon to hear a dispatch to one, only to have incidentlocated at the other. Also not unheard of to have near simultaneous dispatches sent to each. Cross streets don't always help.
                      In the district where I live, there is a northlake dr, north lake ave, n lake st. A river road on both sides of the mississippi, which extend from city limit to city limit, its not always dispatch or the fd that doesn't know their streets.

Comment

We don't have the problems of being in a city with having more than one of the same "landmark." We are a very, very rural department. Most guys grew up on farms, or if they lived in town they had some connection to farms. They might not be able to tell you specific addresses, but if you were to say half-mile east of the John Smith Farm they can take you right there.

Comment

Originally posted by nameless View Post
                          While I agree with you, and do we do try our best we are stuck in the real world. We go out in the district, we do tours, we snoop around on EMS and auto alarms, but this isn't the perfect world. Companies are being closed, our work load is going up, it only takes a couple ems runs or a fire and we're running first up to areas we'd be lucky to go to on the 4th alarm. I try to know the buildings I could go to, but we are talking thousands of buildings. Don't assume things, don't assume we are lazy or don't going out in the district. So you can preach about knowing your district but at 4am when we're running to the other side of the city on a run we should have never have been on notes from Fire Safety or from the first due company could really help us out. Probably even save a life. Everyone wants to preach safety, heres something that could easily help us do our job safely and it really isn't all that hard.
                          Brother... I am assuming nothing.

There are over 13.000 buildings in my community alone... everything from mobile homes and old balloon frames to McMansions, office buildings, hotels, hazardous waste facilities and critical infrastructure.... It is impossible to have data on each and every one.

We have to train our people on recognizing the 5 basic types of construction, their inherent strengths and weaknesses and share information... a fireighter detailed to another house on a temporary duty assignment can be a wealth of knowledge...
                          Last edited by DeputyChiefGonzo; 01-06-2011, 04:36 PM.
                          ‎"The education of a firefighter and the continued education of a firefighter is what makes "real" firefighters. Continuous skill development is the core of progressive firefighting. We learn by doing and doing it again and again, both on the training ground and the fireground."
                          Lt. Ray McCormack, FDNY

Comment

Here is a subject on which I don't feel adequate, I worked construction and for an electrician so the actual building construction is ok for me, its applying it with fire behavior I have some trouble with, DC gonz, what are some tips you can throw out there for me?

Comment

Landmarks are great.. unless.

Turn right where Wumpy's farm was (that disappeared 25 years ago).
                              I am now a past chief and the views, opinions, and comments are mine and mine alone. I do not speak for any department or in any official capacity. Although, they would be smart to listen to me.

"The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But it's still on the list."

"When tempted to fight fire with fire, remember that the Fire Department usually uses water."

Comment

I'm not talking about building construction, if we have firefighters that can't figure out the building construction and the probable interior layout that's a big problem. I'm talking about things that might not be visible from the street, like outstanding or habitual code violations. If fire safety found structural issues that need to be repaired that property should have a note. I'm talking about things that are very important to us, not little things that we should know or be able to figure out.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X