This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BFD,

I know my post was long, but apparantly you either didn't read the whole thing, or didn't absorb some of it. Its like I said, to wear the hood you need training. My father won't wear one, he doesn't like it, and he's been doing it for 25 years. I respect that. I never made a statement that pushed the use of a hood on you more seasoned firefighters, but newer guys like Firestic should have no excuse. But your hooded hero's comment I think was a little harsh. Besides, as a professional I've never accepted being called a hero, hero's are ordinary people who do something extraordinary. Us firefighters are not ordinary, a plumber who comes to fix your pipe when your basement has 2 feet of water in it isn't a hero, he's a plumber. However, to add a little more of my OPINION to some comments posted recently....I also am a fire instructor, and have spent hours like you in burn buildings and your right you can stand up. But you do feel the heat through the hood. The difference to me, is I explain to the recruits that this is not real life. If you see flame, or you know there's fire, why would you stand up regardless of the temperature? In a burn building we'd have no knees left by the end of the day, but real world, I can't see that. The extreme heat levels we build up in these buildings plus the burning of hay and pallets doesn't build up much smoke, and if it does its white. But regardless, I do not allow my recruits on evolutions to get into the habit of standing up. Secondly, from every report I've read pertaining to firefighter fatalities/injuries involving burns from possible flashovers. Not once has one ever mentioned that the use of a hood added to the problem. In NJ, as any of us who was at last years conference, they found it was the cops who threw rocks through windows cause 2 brothers to get burned. FDNY has had several in high rise buildings attributed to fire doors not closing. Can what you say happen? Sure, but that's where the training for the probie's come in. They are not afraid of change, cause they don't know, or if they have vollie background they have no choice. I respect your preference on not wearing a hood or leaving your ear out. For all I know I could have guys on my truck doing that, but I know they are wearing it when we go in. All I ask for is respect for what I actually post.

Rescue Capt., post the VES part. But I do have to day one thing, while I see the understanding of why you guys leave an ear out. Saying that you haven't been burned yet, to me (only my opinion, no bash intended brother!!honest) shouldn't be passed. You could burn your ear off tomorrow.

PA vollie and Chief good posts!!! Plus lets look at it this way, with the way construction practices are going today, we won't have to worry about interior firefighting in 20 years, they all collapse withing 10 mins. with a heavy fire load. But I gotta say this, I started with 3/4 boots, I'd never trade my bunkers for anything, especially with my warrenton pro's in em!!! Be safe all and thanks for good conversation!!

---------------------------------------
    The above is my opinion only and doesn't reflect that of any dept./agency I work for, am a member of, or deal with.

Comment

300x600 Ad Unit (In-View)

Collapse

Upper 300x250

Collapse

Taboola

Collapse

Leader

Collapse
    Working...
    X